Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 15,466 times

Advertisements

I rent an apt on Hammond St via Tremont St, but now we find that it's really a dangerous place....We are 3 female students from Northeastern University, and as we are graduate students, we should come back to home after 8 p.m. ( Fortunately we should do this only for twice a week......)

I think that we really do a bad decision to rent this apt....We find that there have 2 shooting near the apt in last month.......We are very afraid if we are killed on our way to home...

OMG, what can we do now? I pray anyone will help us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:33 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
So you asked about the neighborhood back in April, people knowledgable of the area advised against it, you leased anyway, now want help?

I say you have two options. break the lease, or tough it out for a year.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
On your lease, are you tenant at will or did you sign with a commitment to a specific end date, usually a year. If you are tenant at will, I believe you only have to give 30 days notice. If you have a one year lease, you might still be able to break it by subleasing, replacing yourselves with other renters. You might also be able to break the lease if the landlord has not provided for your health or safety in some kind of way, lighting outside? I would call the MA Attorney General's office to see if they can give you any advice. Also do a search on "tenant" "law" and "Massachusetts."

Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Yes, check out your options. It's always good to know what you can do just in case. But you are an adult, and you made your choice despite the advice given to you.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
In the meantime, arrange to always walk from the campus with a group of friends or your roommates, never alone, if you are studying late at night. Even though it may give all of you a little less freedom you will be a bit safer. Go to an electronics store and get one of those wireless security systems that detects motion should someone try to get through a window. Have an emergency 911 button on your cell phone. And always stay alert to your surroundings, no mobile device tunes while in transit.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM

41 posts, read 72,126 times
First of all, I think you're being a bit over dramatic and should calm down and not worry so much about getting shot by strangers. By and large, all of these incidents involve people who know each other.

I would be more worried about my purse or bag being snatched/demanded, which is an issue in almost all parts of any city. Take simple precautions like being aware of your surroundings and don't be distracted with headphones and/or cell phone calls. I probably wouldn't carry around a designer purse or laptop bag.

Otherwise, you're probably fine at 8-9pm when others are out on the street. I might be more concerned about being out and about in that neighborhood late, late at night. Take a cab home if you're out late.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 PM

596 posts, read 818,970 times
Wow. I just read all the responses to the April post and I have to say, you were helped in April but chose not to take that help. Good luck. I don't know anything about tenant laws here, but there's probably a way you can break your lease. You'll end up paying some penalty, though.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
"You'll end up paying some penalty, though.'...

There are two ways to learn in this world....the easy way and the hard way. Usually, people take the hard way.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 15,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Wow. I just read all the responses to the April post and I have to say, you were helped in April but chose not to take that help. Good luck. I don't know anything about tenant laws here, but there's probably a way you can break your lease. You'll end up paying some penalty, though.
You now, I am too impulse........I post on this website one day before I sign on the lease...After I sign on the lease, I found your replying...

It's really a tragedy...

Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
No point in yelling at these girls - what's done is done now.

You're on Hammond? Are you close to Tremont? Or close to Shawmut Ave? If you're at the corner of Hammond and Tremont I think you'll be fine. If you have to go all the way down Hammond to Shawmut, I say break your lease as soon as you can find another place.

You're college kids, a broken lease isn't going to haunt you the rest of your life. The landlord knows where his place is and never should have rented to you - he took advantage of your lack of knowledge about Boston, and that English is not your first language. I feel no sympathy for the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston