Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I just recently got a job in Boston. I'm looking to move there asap as my job starts on Monday 4/7.

Does anyone know of any rooms to rent or any Realtors that deal with rooms/shared for a cheap/reasonable price? If so please help me out!!! I already exhausted craigslist and the other apartment websites aren't really helpful.

Access to the Red Line T is a must!!! As I need to transfer at South Station. Must be within 5-8 minutes of walking distance, I don't want to be late for work ever. (no car unfortunately.)

Price Range: I'd like to keep it around $700 with utilities.

About me:
Hi, I am a 26 year old male about to start work in South Boston by Seaport on MONDAY 4/7.

On my spare time, I like to watch shows/movies, read books, listen to music or talk. I'm down for new experiences. I'm fairly easy to get along with. I start work a week from Monday so I'm on a schedule. I'm pretty adaptable. If you like company, I'm down. If you don't, that's cool too. I'm also a newbie cook. I like to cook a simple meal with groceries rather than eat out. But I'd be down to eat out once in a while on weekends.

Please let me know asap. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me.

I'm trying to move in this week/weekend.

Email me if you have anything. anonimoso@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,117,733 times
That's a tall order. I'd suggest booking yourself a room/suite at an extended stay hotel for now, then continue the search once you get to town.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
That's a tall order. I'd suggest booking yourself a room/suite at an extended stay hotel for now, then continue the search once you get to town.
OP, check out AirNB for the short term.

$700/month
close commuting distance

You are going to have to compromise on one if not both of these.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 PM

398 posts, read 746,997 times
You should check craigslist. lol.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
I always see rooms for rent on craigslist in Central Square for under $700. Its walking distance to T & Harvard Square....the more blocks away you are from Mass Ave the more calm the area. Central has a bad rep, but it feels pretty safe to me.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM

12 posts, read 30,231 times
I am not aware of any real estate agencies that deal with shared rooms. At the agency I used to work at (which was the biggest rental agency in Somerville/Cambridge), we definitely did not touch these sorts of situations). There are many agencies that focus exclusively or primarily on rentals, but they will help you sign a new lease for an apartment not jump onto someone else's existing one.

If you already have a group of people you are looking to share a room with, an agency can help, but otherwise, you probably don't need a real estate agent in your search.

When you do a room share, you are effectively subletting from the previous tenant since their name is most likely on the lease. You are not entitled to the same legal rights as a renter and your presence, in fact, may be in direct violation of the original lease. Some landlords will avoid this situation by writing up a new lease when you move in which protects the both of you, but unfortunately this practice is not as common as it should be.

In a town as young as Boston with as many transient people as it has, illegal subletting via room shares is the norm. A group of roommates move in together and one graduates or gets a new job, and then they are suddenly looking for a new person to fill the missing one's place without making the appropriate legal adjustments to their lease.

By far the best place to find a room share is on Craigslist (there is a section specifically for room shares). After you find a group and apartment you like, make sure to ask if the landlord is aware that you might be moving in. Even if they don't go through the formality of writing you an official lease, knowing that you are allowed to be there officially will alleviate potential problems down the road. I've known a few too many people who have had to leave room share situations unexpectedly due to landlords not knowing about their presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston