Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
SYS SYS started this thread

339 posts, read 1,172,808 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on visiting Boston for about a week in early June to give a "historical" tour of Boston for my wife and two boys. I used to live there but about two decades ago when I was a single.

Could anyone give me suggestions for an economical way for a family to stay a week? I'm not planning on renting a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 AM

866 posts, read 2,630,517 times
You definitely don't need a car, so that is a savings right there.

For hotels, try looking a little further out in the suburbs within walking distance to a T stop. Hotels are likely cheaper in Cambridge or in the close-in suburbs than they are in the city core.

Here is some help with things to do:

Free things to do around Boston - Boston.com

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM

8,546 posts, read 14,048,727 times
Walking the Freedom Trail is free and that should take a good day or so. A tour at the Sam Adams brewery is also free with free beer samples (free root beer for the kiddies). They're out in JP but accessible by T.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 AM

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I plan on doing the Freedom Trail and retracing other significant historical sites out of the Freedom Trail boundaries. I also plan on visiting places like Walden, Emerson House, Alcott and other literary roots. I'd like to take my kids to Plymouth Plantation and Mayflower, etc. Since I'm not planning on renting a car, I'd have to rely on some companies that specialize in giving bus tours?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,364,440 times
Definitely take advantage of Groupon, Restaurant.com and other discount websites. You might even want to spend the $20 on an Entertainment Book as there are lots of 2 for 1 coupons for both restaurants and attractions. You might find a 1 or 2 day car rental is cheaper than paying for a bus tour down to Plymouth. I don't think any historic Boston tour is complete without a trip out to Lexington and Concord (my kids still talk about their tour of Buckman Tavern and all they learned 6 years later) and it would be worth the drive.

Enjoy!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Definitely take advantage of Groupon, Restaurant.com and other discount websites. You might even want to spend the $20 on an Entertainment Book as there are lots of 2 for 1 coupons for both restaurants and attractions. You might find a 1 or 2 day car rental is cheaper than paying for a bus tour down to Plymouth. I don't think any historic Boston tour is complete without a trip out to Lexington and Concord (my kids still talk about their tour of Buckman Tavern and all they learned 6 years later) and it would be worth the drive.

Enjoy!
Oh, I definitely have Lexington and Concord in mind. For those out of Boston and some suburbs areas, I think you're right that I look into renting a car instead of a tour bus....

Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,046,330 times
I would rent a car for the day for Lexington and Concord.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
Don't forget Harvard Square and Faneuil Hall. And for a more quirky kind of historical tour, you can include both in a tour of the T. You start out by getting to Park Street Station, red line. That is the first subway station in the United States, and there's a plaque your family can read that gives a little info about it. Walk through the tunnels there to the Blue line and upstairs and out to Government Center, and walk from there down the steps to Faneuil Hall. Take an hour or so to get through that...

and through Quincy Market, and under the road through the walking tunnel, into the North End. Once there, find a spot for a pizza and a canolli.

Head back under the tunnel and into the T again, and shoot down the Red Line to Harvard Square. You can easily spend a couple of hours there just walking around and enjoying the street performers - this is best done in the early evening on a Saturday.

If the weather's cooperative, you could sit in the park outside Grendel's Den and people-watch while you chow down on a Grendel's salad.

Take the Red Line from Harvard Square back to Downtown Boston area, or return to your hotel - by this time it'll be solidly in "evening."

Most of these spots are shopping-oriented, but there's nothing saying you have to actually buy anything. A lot of the fun of this kind of day-trip is the adventure itself.

Another day needs to involved the swan boats in Boston Public Garden, a walk around the Boston Commons, then walk up Beacon Hill, back down around the other side to the Chinatown district, and all along Newbury Street. Cut up Mass Ave and circle back on Comm Ave, stop at the Pru for a trip to the top, then take the T back to Downtown (since everyone will be tired from all that walking). That very short route is definitely a full-day adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston