Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 20,275 times

Advertisements

I just moved in to a great apartment yesterday, the only problem is that it was filthy. Floors had been minimally swept, but besides that it was pretty gross. The fridge, inside the cabinets etc. had crumbs, food residue, black sticky stuff. We took pictures. Also, it was very clear that the walls had not been painted in between tenants (I know this is a MA law). We put down a security deposit equal to one month's rent/ signed the lease (stating that the apt was okay) while the other tenants were still living there so we didn't see how dirty it would be when we moved in. Should we complain? I feel like the landlord should have paid for a professional cleaning service between tenants. Could we get a discount on our first month? We wanted to hire a cleaning service, but since it was Labor day we decided to just do it ourselves. We don't want to be assh*le tenants, but it doesn't seem like we got a fair deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoboston93 View Post
I just moved in to a great apartment yesterday, the only problem is that it was filthy. Floors had been minimally swept, but besides that it was pretty gross. The fridge, inside the cabinets etc. had crumbs, food residue, black sticky stuff. We took pictures. Also, it was very clear that the walls had not been painted in between tenants (I know this is a MA law). We put down a security deposit equal to one month's rent/ signed the lease (stating that the apt was okay) while the other tenants were still living there so we didn't see how dirty it would be when we moved in. Should we complain? I feel like the landlord should have paid for a professional cleaning service between tenants. Could we get a discount on our first month? We wanted to hire a cleaning service, but since it was Labor day we decided to just do it ourselves. We don't want to be assh*le tenants, but it doesn't seem like we got a fair deal.

It is probably very infuriating but this is how we roll around here. Rare are the landlords who will paint in between tenants, as there is no time to do that. Painting in 24h or less between tenants is impossible.

Complaining will only get you on an annoying tenant list. Clean what you can, and live with it. Different people have very different ideas of what constitutes clean.

Good, clean, and well kept rentals are pretty rare with huge turnover in renters every year. Most landlords will do minimal upkeep to make sure place is always occupied. Also many landlords do not live close by to be able to check on the place every time tenants moves out, which is not ideal, but reality for some folks. Some other landlords are really only interested in checks. You are still new to know what kind of landlord you got and what they actually know about condition you have found once you have moved in.

It is OK to document the conditions. Take as many pictures especially if anything broken or not working. Ideally you should together with your landlord walk through your new place, and document and sign statement of condition (with pictures), which will protect your security deposit later on. This should be done for documenting and protection of both parties ASAP. If at all possible, do it.

Also, if you can not live with this level of dinginess around you, you can always approach your landlord to ask if you can paint on your own time and dime, if willing to make it more pleasant while renting or planing to stay longer than a year.

Good luck.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Most people clean hard after they move in and do not expect any rent reduction. You are pushing it.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 AM

974 posts, read 1,897,262 times
Quote:
Read the terms of your lease again. If it is a standard Massachusetts lease, then your rights are clearly delineated.

Most apartments are turned over as broom clean with an hour to spare. You moved in on the heels of whomever left. LL will laugh at you asking for professional cleaning OR painting in between tenants- which I've never seen done at that price point. You'd have to wait longer than Sept 1 to move in if you had wanted that.

Naturally, you supplied a security deposit. Everyone does. It is not a cleaning deposit. Whoever supplied you with your keys should've done the walk-thru with you.

You're renting a cheap apt in Somerville, not a $5k/month condo on Beacon Hill with concierge services. Be happy the locks work, heating is ready and rodents are under control. You're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,868 times
I agree with King G.
But definitely ask if you can paint on the landlords dime.
Too bad you signed the apt was ok.
Document everything to protect security deposit.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
There's no law that states landlords must paint in between tenants.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:14 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:

Is it really? I've never had that done.

Eh, I've always had to do a deep clean when moving in, especially since I rent from owners and rent non high end places. Good to have pics though.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 20,275 times
Thanks guys, I'll suck it up. It really isn't that bad. It didn't even occur to me to complain until the friend who was helping me move ( and who is used to a higher standard of living than I, I might add), sort of freaked out.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 PM

974 posts, read 1,897,262 times
Quote:
friend who was helping me move ( and who is used to a higher standard of living than I, I might add), sort of freaked out.
Let the friend pay Boston rents for a "nice" apt for you then. They can be had beginning at $3k for a studio. Then you can rant and moan only as much as the next person who will take the place from you.

From your posts, you found a cheap place on a not so nice part of a not new city. If you don't adjust your thinking to city living now and stop listening to "friends", you will have a miserable experience.

If you can't do it, pack up and move back home. City life isn't for everyone. You don't need to be miserable. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,013 times
Boston has lots of crappy, poorly maintained (if at all) apartments that are crazily overpriced. It sucks, but the reality is that unswept floors are common. They're not really a big deal compared to more serious problems in this area -- read about what happened to Binland Lee if you want some perspective.

It's definitely good to document conditions and get the place inspected. I wish I had done this straightaway at the place I moved into in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston