Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,285,892 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to Boston soon. I have already seen the traditional tourist places (Fenway, Sounth End, Back Bay, Downtown, etc) and Harvard Square

What are the other vibrant areas of the city to see? I'm not so much interested in tourist areas, just more lively, urban streetscapes to walk around.

The areas, I'm considering:

1) Central Square
2) Inman Square
3) Davis Square
4) Union Square
5) Allston
6) East Boston
7) Coolidge Corner
8) South Boston
9) Jamaca Plain?
10) Charlestown? Looks kinda residential/quiet
11) Chelsea?
12) Mission Hill?

Any opinions on these or any areas I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM

546 posts, read 1,377,285 times
Harvard Ave in Allston is another lively place to walk around.

Hope we are good to you. You picked some good places

Old 10-14-2014, 08:13 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Another vote for Allston. Many vibrant ethnic enclaves that are interesting to explore (Russian, Asian, Brazilian).

Central Square, home to many good music clubs.

Kendall Square, Cambridge, heart of new technology and research and MIT. MIT has fascinating architecture, the MIT Media Lab and the famous MIT book store, if you are a fan of unique art and science publications.

Salem, if you want to venture out of the city is full of historic sites, art including the Peabody Essex Museum and galleries, and some good pubs and seafood restaurants.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
I'd say Central, Inman, Union, and Davis are all lively. Some of them may be like lively islands in otherwise residential areas where pedestrian density is not so high, like Union (Somerville) and Davis. Cambridge seems a little more consistent so that Inman, Central, and Harvard have pretty dense neighborhoods connecting them with many charming streets and buildings. Kendall has some good points and lots of development but I've never found it especially enjoyable as pedestrian space. Outer Cambridge has the Porter Sq-- Huron Avenue -- Fresh Pond area which is enjoyable. You might enjoy the Harvard-Dudley bus (#1) which plies Mass Avenue through Harvard and Central Squares then through Back Bay to the still grungy and underdeveloped Dudley station area. Also the #66 bus-- Dudley Station, Mission Hill, Brookline Village, Coolidge Corner, Allston, and Harvard Sq. The #86 bus connects Cleveland Circle and Brighton Center with Harvard, Inman, and Union Squares, and on to the dreadful Sullivan Square in Charlestown. Charlestown in its central areas around the Monument, the training field, and John Harvard Mall is a place for the wanderer to get lost in even if it lacks heavy foot traffic. Then you can take the T ferry from the Navy Yard through the gorgeous inner harbor to Long Wharf. Not sure about South Boston-- dense but very residential except for Broadway. City Point and Castle Island are gorgeous.
Jamaica Plain has amazing wood-frame Victorian houses in often charming streetscapes in many of the side streets off Centre St. Centre St / South St is the only stretch with high pedestrian density but it seems like a long walk with too many gas stations and other dull stretches amid the livelier ones. Take the #39 bus from Back Bay or the #41 from Dudley Station and get off at some interesting spot like Hyde Square. Go to JP too for the beautiful pond and Arnold Arboretum if you have the time.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I forgot one of the most vibrant places in Boston, the North End, Boston's Little Italy. The closest thing Boston has to a European feeling neighborhood. Streets are filled with tourists and residents every night. It's also home to historic sites such as Paul Revere's home, the North Church and the original home of Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy. Stroll with the tourists down Hanover, indulge at Moderne Bakery or Mike's Pastry. Then take a walk on Salem street with the natives.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 AM

546 posts, read 1,377,285 times
agrees with 495 Neighbor with the North End.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:49 AM

157 posts, read 229,043 times
Jamaica Plain has the original Sam Adams brewery. I did a tour there last summer; it's free, very informative, the staff are nice, and they teach you tasting techniques with very generous portions of beer. We even got to taste a very rare batch. And the bearded guy from the commercials was there working! Of course this is all given beer is your thing.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:07 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Central Square
Inman Square
Davis Square
Both Union Squares
Allston
JP

Old 10-15-2014, 07:35 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
I'd vote for Central Square. Feels like a little slice of New York. Love the energy and eclectic vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston