Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:20 PM

227 posts, read 283,560 times

Advertisements

The best I'm finding right now is Quincy in terms of affordability and convenient transit access for at least one of us. WR would definitely be ideal for me, at least for these next few months to adjust. I want to ask around when I visit Saturday, but where to start?! Maybe there's a truly local paper... We'll see!

Thanks to everyone for added information. It has definitely helped steer my search, which is far from over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 PM

288 posts, read 635,158 times
I also recommend looking in Roslindale, which is near Dedham and West Roxbury.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:38 AM

UPDATE-

Fun times; he contacted the program and all but one of their schools is in Dorchester and said to plan around that if we are just moving.

I suppose it's best to just plan around that and me being in West Roxbury until there's any reason to do otherwise. We knew he wouldn't be teaching in a good area (hence the program) but I'm happy that we are (relatively) closer than I was thinking could have been the case- and both rather South.

Also I can't find anything under 1100-1200 in Roslindale or WR that is still open/available, but maybe if I go around the area I will find some signs or ads?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
The area is so perfect for you that it seems worth asking around, checking bulletin boards, craigslist ads, community forums. Poster "sharencare" just named some online sites in a thread on Roslindale.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
OP, have you not called any realtors yet? I would think they would be a primary resource. If you get a good one that is entrenched in the particular city/town of interest, they can really help.

Best of luck.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
This is a situation where a realtor could do more harm than good. OP is barely scraping together first, last and security; adding a fee on top of that could be crushing.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:39 PM

I found a place in Roslindale I am looking at tonight Under $1000/mo but no utilities... I'm thinking that's okay given the location and such though. We will have enough for necessary deposits/rent, and I'll be making enough by the end of the month to not worry about it from that point on. It's on Brown Ave.

I've been sticking to HotPads and CraigsList for my search so far and found the one above.

A realtor would definitely make me nervous with fees.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:42 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
What about Quincy, Dorchester or Hyde Park? These areas are all close to the T. I mean riding the T at night can be dangerous anywhere to tell you the truth. That's what happens with public transportation..you dont know what kind of public will come in.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 PM

I found that on the RIPTA it was never an issue any time of day as long as I wasn't giving anyone a bad look or staring others down. I don't know how much size affects the "kind of public" as Boston is clearly larger.

So, I checked out the place in Roslindale. It has 3-4 applications, including our own, and from what I understand today was the first showing and it was only advertised online as of Wednesday! Limited rental history (and complete lack of in Boston) seemed to be a concern to the landlord... I hadn't even considered that.

I'm doing my best to stay "local" and avoid actually living in most parts of Dorchester but it's getting tough. Hyde and Quincy are working their way up to priority now. I know people will say some parts of Dorchester are nice but I'd prefer to be in Boston to learn where those parts are first.

My grandparents are having me at their house the entire week of Thanksgiving so I REALLY need/want to find a place by then :/

Oh, also Roslindale and West Roxbury are fabulous! I love the area where my work is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston