Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 PM

264 posts, read 389,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straya View Post
Are you a comic book fan?

Also true, Joe Rogan commentates UFC so I watch him. You're right about his opinion on Bostonian women though. The only thing is that I've seen a lot of threads online about it.
Nah, not much of a comic book fan. Appreciate the art, though.

As far as the women go, make your own opinion no one can take that away from you lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:09 PM

546 posts, read 1,377,850 times
Welcome aboard Straya, Gday mate n all.

For the most part, we love em all. Hope we are good to you and you are a stranger here but once. Good On ya

Bob

Old 11-26-2014, 12:58 AM

75 posts, read 98,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
Welcome aboard Straya, Gday mate n all.

For the most part, we love em all. Hope we are good to you and you are a stranger here but once. Good On ya

Bob
Thank you sir.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM

By the way is Cambridge big? Like is "everyday" consistent of traveling outside of Cambridge to other places in Boston?

Old 12-18-2014, 02:09 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straya View Post
By the way is Cambridge big? Like is "everyday" consistent of traveling outside of Cambridge to other places in Boston?
Cambridge is a very compact city. Population about 90k - 100k if I'm not mistaken, but a small number of square miles. It wouldn't be unusual at all to travel into Boston regularly (or Somerville or other towns/cities). That said, I always found that when I lived in Cambridge or Boston, I spent most of my time on the same side of the river (Cambridge/Somerville to the north, Boston to the south) outside of work. That's more a function of the fact that both cities have a wide variety of different shops, etc., and you can often find what you're looking for fairly close by.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:36 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,334,740 times
I live in Somerville right on the Cambridge line, and also lived in Cambridge for 5 years in the past. I spent a few years in Australia and can probably help you get a feel for things here. But first, what part of Oz are you from?

Old 12-18-2014, 02:38 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
It's not big in terms of square miles but it can be a pain to get around so like scratchie said, many end up not too far from home much of the time. Especially in a place like Cambridge that has pretty much everything you need.

And this entire area is a bunch of neighborhoods. Going to the next town or city, which may be just a few kilometers (you like that I used kilometers rather than miles? that was for you) away can give you a totally different flavor. People get comfortable in their own neighborhoods.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:51 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Where in Australia are you coming from? I thought the winters in New England were like the winters in Australia?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:51 PM

133 posts, read 261,705 times
Cambridge is a very cosmopolitan place. Because of the universities and the biotech firms and think tanks, there are people from all over the place. People will be fine with Australians or Irish or Afghans (one of my favorite restaurants is run by Hamid Karzai's brother-in-law).

The weather can be cold (the winter) or rainy. Not like Sydney. It is more similar to Melbourne in some ways. I would say there is nothing terrific about the weather.

It is generally pretty safe. There are probably still a few neighborhood where you shouldn't go at night but when the city got rid of rent control, real estate costs went up sufficiently that it is hard for most people to afford to live there and the kind of folks who can live there would be more likely to commit white collar crime than armed robbery. I'm sure there is a reasonable amount of property crime.

On women, who knows what you've heard. Back in the dark ages, I was single in Cambridge and went out on lots of dates. I had fun and didn't encounter any big issues. Cambridge women were less focused on their looks than on their minds than women in New York or Los Angeles. But, who knows what has happened since the dark ages. There is a lot less sun in the year than Sydney, so the women (and men) may be somewhat heavier as they are not heading to the beach a lot.

The area by the Charles River and some other areas are quite pretty. There are lots of restaurants. In the old days, these were quite mediocre but the quality has gone way up. I just had a surprisingly nice meal at Central Kitchen in Central Square.

I no longer live there but am considering moving back.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Where in Australia are you coming from? I thought the winters in New England were like the winters in Australia?
Sydney, New South Wales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston