Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:46 PM

28 posts, read 99,347 times

Advertisements

Hi.

My husband and I are coming to visit Boston the second weekend of February for his 41st birthday. We have been to Boston once but only briefly so we aren't very familiar with the city.

I'm looking for some suggestions of where to stay. Our weekend will most likely be filled with eating, drinking and shopping. I know Boston is full of restaurants but where is the best area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM

210 posts, read 671,639 times
Depending on budget, try the Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott and Westin.... all attached to the Pru Center/Copley Place. Any of these are a short walk to Newbury Street, Boylston, the Boston Gardens and more.

ENJOY AND STAY WARM!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Cool Try Woburn

Try Woburn

its cheaper hotels and there's quite a few to choose from. many of them have hotel shuttles...that take you to the commuter rail ..which you can take into the city. its about 30 min via rail into the city. (you can get a 10 ride ticket pass for commuter rail at North Station)...or at the Anderon-Woburn ticket area.
there's also a bus you can take if you fly into logan the woburn logan express its about $11-12 bucks 1 way i think now. - and it goes to Woburn also Manchester-Airport shuttle goes to woburn now too every 2 hours. You need a ticket to show ....so you can get from the airport right to the hotel area and then see which hotels have shuttles to the hotel.
At any rate its a short drive from the airport even with traffic only 40 min
20 min without traffic to Woburn - just take 93 north from the airport
to Commerce Way, off the ramp take a left and go down to the hotels from there.

other areas to stay would be Dedham, Quincy, Wakefield, Waltham.

If you dont mind paying higher prices
downtown Copley Square area or waterfront would be best

-Jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
try the sheraton in braintee you can take the t into Boston, and have money to
use for shopping. the braintree mall is right there also. I think the hotel gives you a ride to the T.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
If you're coming to town for tourism purposes, I would not suggest staying out in the 'burbs and commuting in--bite the bullet and pay for a hotel in town if you can afford it. Taking the T into town will potentially waste your limited time, can be a hassle, and could limit what you do since you may be tied to the train schedule.

If your budget is tight, you might think about doing a search for a hotel room at hotwire.com. I would suggest two areas: Boston Common-Theater District or Back Bay-Copley Square. Shopping is a little better around Back Bay, but the Common area is, I think, a little more energetic at night. Go for the best priced 4 star in the area you prefer

Old 01-25-2008, 05:52 PM

303 posts, read 1,386,264 times
I find the North End has some of the best Italian restaurants. Some of the best Italian in the country some say. Good seafood on the water. Try Kindfish Hall or Bone - Todd English restaurants are quite good.

As far as hotels I enjoy staying around the Commons. If you don't mind spending a little more, the Ritz Carlton Boston Common is the best and great location. If you want to cut corners try the Milner on Stuart Street or Courtyard by Marriott on Tremont.

Enjoy your trip!!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
braintree into boston is less than 30 minutes, I had a friend who did this, and loved the
money saved. me 200.00 for me to eat and shop is worth the 30 minutes on the T.
fanueil hall is also a neat place to check out. I always liked the parker house.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 24,824 times
IF you have the money to spend in the city I suggest The Millenium Hotel. It is rather new and is in a good central location to walk to all spots of Boston. It is right in the Faneuil Hall area which is high tourist area but a very festive and historical spot as well. You can easily walk or cab quicly to all locations....specifically Beacon Hill (Charles Street) is a must see for adorable and quaint shops. If you would like a local pub stop for a drink on Charles try the Sevens. It is small but a fun spot for a pint. A quick walk from their for upscale shopping and eating is Newbury Street. AND you HAVE to eat in the North End. Giacomos is the best restaurant and you will love the food plus the Italian flavor of the people who work their. It is located right on Hanover street. They open at 5pm and you will always see a line and don't be discouraged...one it is worth the wait and two you will never wait more than a 1/2 hour unless you have a big group. The place is small and very intimate and they often yell out your order to the chefs cooking right in front of you. But it is unbelievable Italian food and a must have. For fun try to sit up at the small 2 seater bar area to watch the chefs at work and the staff in their glory. It is very Boston and very Italian. I have friends who dine w/ us there when they are in town and they talk about coming back just to go to Giacomos. Enjoy.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM

28 posts, read 99,347 times
Thank you so much for all your suggestions, it has been very helpful. We are going to go all out and stay in the city of Boston. I know it's expensive but we would rather have the convenience of being in the city.

Thanks again!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
I diagree about the T the Lowell line has been on time for years!
I live in Winchester and hear the trains all the time out my window. Its on time! about 95% of the time! +/- a couple minutes.

I would suggest Woburn . its a decent area to stay has plenty of hotels to choose from and cheap parking at the train station and some of the hotels even have shuttles that take you to the train station. Trains run all the time all day every hour and 30 min during rush periods. - you can get a 10 ride ticket and commute in and out, just grab a schedule at north station its only a 30 min ride from Woburn into North Station and you can get the subway or walk from there its only a 10 minute walk to the waterfront/quincy market from North Station through haymarket.

Atry roomsaver.com for the walk in coupons to save you even more money sometimes you can haggle with the people at the desk and get them to give you the walk in rate for the whole week or at least a couple days.

Also see if they have AAA discounts if you have AAA

The hilton Woburn has a shuttle to the train station Anderson Woburn
Hilton Boston Woburn Massachusetts Hotel - Boston Area Hotels - Woburn MA Hotels

Also try calling the
Courtyard-Boston Woburn
- Hotel, resort and vacation information from Marriott.com - (781) 932-3200 - 12 reviews

Residence Inn-Boston Woburn
- Boston Family Vacation, Woburn Hotel Deals, Places to Stay in Boston. - (781) 376-4000 -

Red Roof Inn Boston - Woburn, MA
- Red Roof Inn - (781) 932-0657 - 22 reviews

Fairfield Inn-Boston Woburn
- Hotel, resort and vacation information from Marriott.com - (781) 938-7575 - 25 reviews

Courtyard-North - more info »
700 Unicorn Park Dr, Woburn, MA
(781) 938-9001 - Rated 3.8 out of 5.0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston