Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:31 AM

875 posts, read 663,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
$3100 a month for daycare? Why not just stay home until they are ready for school. That's insane
Some parents (seems to be nearly all in my circle of friends) don't want to stay at home ....they either like their jobs and don't want to put their career on hold and/or making enough that the net is still worth it...different strokes and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanamama View Post
Hello,
We have recently moved north of Kendall Square in Cambridge and are looking for daycare options nearby for an infant. It's so hard to find reviews online and we don't know many people here. Anyone know of any good places?
We have friends who use Bright Horizons and speak highly of it but I think its on the higher $ end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
Default re

[quote=sawyer2;42037342]Some parents (seems to be nearly all in my circle of friends) don't want to stay at home ....they either like their jobs and don't want to put their career on hold and/or making enough that the net is still worth it...different strokes and all that.

I get that, but sometimes you have to know when you're getting ripped off...or reconsider having children if you will barely be around them. If you can afford 3100 on daycare you can likely afford to stay home. No matter how 'nice' the daycare seems it's still a germ pool. Why pay money for your child to get sick.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 AM

[quote=Whatsnext75;42037856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Some parents (seems to be nearly all in my circle of friends) don't want to stay at home ....they either like their jobs and don't want to put their career on hold and/or making enough that the net is still worth it...different strokes and all that.

I get that, but sometimes you have to know when you're getting ripped off...or reconsider having children if you will barely be around them. If you can afford 3100 on daycare you can likely afford to stay home. No matter how 'nice' the daycare seems it's still a germ pool. Why pay money for your child to get sick.
I disagree ....I don't think it is fair either for one parent to have to choose between continuing their career or having kids. Finances may drive the decision but good, or fortunate, to have the option.

Ripped off is a relative term...same as rent/purchase price for real estate ....governed by demand/location/market forces.

3100 is a lot of money though out of anyone's budget....probably close to a pre-tax income of 50-60K

Old 11-23-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaomega1234 View Post
For east cambridge ma the Mass dept of early education and childcare is in Quincy at 6174722881
Alpha - did you have a bad experience recently with daycare? Just saw that you set up an account yesterday with 6 very similar responses ...some to posts from a few years ago.

Not stalking.....just curious is all

Old 11-23-2015, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 5,170 times
Bright Horizons is definitely close or past $3000. I didn't love it when I toured there and ultimately decided it wasn't worth the cost.

Anyone know much about the Volpe daycare? That's my front runner right now.
Or the Nurtury (closer to Central St but my husband's job is in that area)? It's very affordable and the staff seemed great.

We are open to nanny or nanny share if anyone has any leads on that. Nanny might be too expensive for us though...

It's not an option to stay home right now for either of us because of career trajectories but hoping that part time is in my future in the next couple years (hoping to have more kids). We'll be living paycheck to paycheck for a little while.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 PM

I just think it's sad I guess. The OP even said it's not an option to not work due to her wanting to advance her career. So yeah it's nice that daycare is there as an option for this person to fulfill all their desires, but I cant help but think it's selfish.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:37 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
Quote:
I just think it's sad I guess. The OP even said it's not an option to not work due to her wanting to advance her career. So yeah it's nice that daycare is there as an option for this person to fulfill all their desires, but I cant help but think it's selfish.
You don't have kids, correct?

Old 11-23-2015, 03:47 PM

I have one, another on the way. Luckily i have family to help out.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:50 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
Quote:
I have one, another on the way. Luckily i have family to help out.
Those of us who do not have anyone to help need daycare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston