Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 PM

339 posts, read 764,953 times

Advertisements

hi all-

we are visiting boston (group of 4) from sept 17 - 21 and looking for recommendations on places to stay. most of the people we have talked to have suggested staying near Harvard or Downtown Crossing.

is that generally a good place for someone who's never been and just looking to check out Boston?

We have a friend who stays in Woburn and he said we are more than welcome to stay with him, but is that going to be too far and not worth the drive? He lives about 10 miles from Downtown crossing.

Also, will we need to rent a car or can we get around by public transportation and uber?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
If you stay near Harvard or DTX (Downtown Crossing), you won't need a car. If you stay in Woburn, you'll either need to rent a car or you'll be dependent on the commuter rail, which does not run very frequently, especially on the weekends. If you can afford to stay in Cambridge (anywhere, really) or central Boston, that will be a lot more convenient and probably a lot more fun, no offense to your friend in Woburn, because you'll be able to spend all your time doing stuff in the city and not traveling back and forth.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:54 PM

596 posts, read 818,970 times
Downtown Crossing is better if you want access to more T lines (it's on the red and orange and close to green), but it's not the nicest part of the city. Harvard is great but it's only on the red line.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:50 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Actually, Downtown Crossing looks pretty nice now, no?.

90 Tremont is a boutique hotel adjacent to it.

Not so lovely is the area near Doubletree hotel on Washington St. at Tufts Medical Center, but should be OK for most visitors and convenient.

Midtown Hotel, believe it or not, got a good review recently from a visitor I met recently. Unbeatable location.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:01 AM

thanks guys! all the hotels in the downtown crossing area are very pricey but i'm assuming that's just the norm for this area. we will try to airbnb it to see if we can find a better deal.

if we do go with the worst case scenario of staying in Woburn and renting a car, how is the parking situation in downtown crossing area and what is the average cost to park?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 AM

513 posts, read 647,341 times
There is not much parking in Downtown Crossing itself. There are garages nearby (Public Garden and some hotels). The day rate for parking is around $35 during the week. It is cheaper on the weekend.
In addition, traffic into and out of the city can be tough. I would recommend staying in Boston, at least for a couple of days. You will be able to experience it more than if staying in Woburn.
I would not limit the search to Downtown Crossing unless there is a specific need to stay there. While not necessarily cheaper, the North End, Waterfront, Back Bay, Fenway, Beacon Hill/MGH area and South Boston are all great places to stay and will grant you easy access to most of Boston.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Stay in Boston, not Woburn. It'll be much nicer to have your place nearby when you are able to come and go and always be near the action. Staying in Cambridge can be OK too but I'd go with Boston proper. If you choose Cambridge, I'd recommend a place close to the Red Line. If you chose Woburn and drive in, download a parking app like Spot Hero for discount parking in garages.

Have fun.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM

thanks again guys! if i have more questions, will let you guys know.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:05 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Gross. Wow. I checked the Midtown Hotel I mentioned earlier... for your dates, it's $246 per night with a AAA card.

It is a one or two-story 1950s-style MOTEL appearance. Sadly,that price doesn't fully surprise me for that time of year.

I realize you're set for now, but just an FYI for others.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:27 PM

97 posts, read 190,700 times
Try hotels in Brookline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston