Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:39 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
I think that you have this incorrect. It is essentially set in place by Federal regulators. In order to expand Needham service - they actually restored profitable weekend service - they added more Fairmont service. It also had political backing. I think that the MBTA would have cut the service if it did not have a lot of proponents with vision.

Fairmont provides a vital link. Nothing else would be there.
Except the Fairmount trains have very little ridership and the fares are all Zone 1A except Readville to try to encourage ridership. The only reason the service still operates is because a ton of money was invested in getting the service off the ground and no one wants to throw in the towel because that would be an admission of failure. The MBTA doesn't always make decisions based on what makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 07:36 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
I've taken the fairmount train before during rush hour and it's quite crowded then not just at fairmount but at the other stops (talbot ave, morton st, geneva ave, uphams corner etc. Not sure about all the other times in between.

I still don't buy it that hyde park gets overlooked because of the T situation. Again look at Roslindale, they have people buying and renting all over the place without having the redline or even a zone 1a commuter rail. If anything the redline would bring in more of a mess and i think some people like the suburban feel.

There's something else about hyde park that turns people i think. Maybe it's the Haitian population? They don't seem to take pride in their homes or stores and it makes the neighborhood pretty ugly. There's just nothing very attractive about hyde park other than Fairmount, parts of readville and the Stonybrook forest area. It's sad because there is potential...but ahh the people keep it down it seems.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I've taken the fairmount train before during rush hour and it's quite crowded then not just at fairmount but at the other stops (talbot ave, morton st, geneva ave, uphams corner etc. Not sure about all the other times in between.

I still don't buy it that hyde park gets overlooked because of the T situation. Again look at Roslindale, they have people buying and renting all over the place without having the redline or even a zone 1a commuter rail. If anything the redline would bring in more of a mess and i think some people like the suburban feel.

There's something else about hyde park that turns people i think. Maybe it's the Haitian population? They don't seem to take pride in their homes or stores and it makes the neighborhood pretty ugly. There's just nothing very attractive about hyde park other than Fairmount, parts of readville and the Stonybrook forest area. It's sad because there is potential...but ahh the people keep it down it seems.
These are the latest official statistics I can find: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/do...%20Edition.pdf

Scroll down to page 77. You can see that the Fairmount line ridership is less than 25% of the Greenbush line which is also considered to be a flop.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:40 PM

Well if the train was more reliable maybe ridership would be better.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Well if the train was more reliable maybe ridership would be better.
The train runs once an hour off peak. No other line on the commuter rail has that level of service despite having several times the ridership.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:09 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The train runs once an hour off peak. No other line on the commuter rail has that level of service despite having several times the ridership.
but there is still a train that you can take pretty much any hour during the day. For me that would work and I don't have any special circumstances in my life other than 9-5 job. I'm not sure why it would be such a turn off for people looking to move to the area-and again many working professionals with kids don't take the T, they drive.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:02 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
I had some mid-20-somethings in my cab over a year ago...got them off the Asmont night owl train. They had just moved from Brighton due to high rents. I think I dropped them around Truman Highway and River.

But I still don't see yuppies or grad students really requesting cab rides out to Hyde Park; either it's too $$ a cab ride from Logan and downtown, they simply take the night owl if going downtown at all. -- or they simply haven't discovered Hyde Park yet.

I lived on Garfield St. off Truman Highway in 1991 for a few months. Rented from a young white couple...(maybe it's a Haitian household now, who knows?). Seemed OK but didn't enjoy the bus ride at times to the orange line for various reasons. I even took a bus route to the Mattapan trolley to Ashmont, thinking it may be faster to downtown. But, otherwise, no crime or stolen car issues for me.

Actually, I think lots of the homes in parts of
HP are nice, middle-class homes, but I see it late night in the cab, once a week at most. Unsure who really lives in those homes, and what goes on inside. But many homes there are as nice or much nicer than seen in parts of Southie, parts of Cambridge and Somerville, even parts of Medford, Arlington and Quincy.

I do recall over five years ago two separate incidents, I think, of shootings and/or stabbings in front of Tedeschi market...not far from the police station!

I'll somewhat disagree about the shabbiness of the retail area...it's much, much better than 10-25 years ago, right? Lots of facade improvements on River St. between Hyde Park Ave. and Truman Highway.

But, like many (?), sometimes I'm unsure if I'm in Hyde Park, Mattapan or Roslindale! Where exactly on Hyde Park Ave. is the Rozzie/HP border....at American Legion Highway? Same along cross streets like Metropolitan, West, Cummins Highway, Canterbury, etc. It's so confusing...at least for me.

Not sure if it's some Haitians, who someone above stated, who don't maintain their exterior homes...maybe when it was all lower income white exclusively, it would still look run down in parts? Were these homes proudly maintained a generation ago, when the folks were likely no more than middle-class? Perhaps, perhaps not.

It's too far, if I'm a yupoie, from downtown; at that point. May as well live in Quincy, Medford, Arlington or Somerville if obe can't afford in town and are agreeable to a commute.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:44 AM

374 posts, read 655,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I had some mid-20-somethings in my cab over a year ago...got them off the Asmont night owl train. They had just moved from Brighton due to high rents. I think I dropped them around Truman Highway and River.

But I still don't see yuppies or grad students really requesting cab rides out to Hyde Park; either it's too $$ a cab ride from Logan and downtown, they simply take the night owl if going downtown at all. -- or they simply haven't discovered Hyde Park yet.

I lived on Garfield St. off Truman Highway in 1991 for a few months. Rented from a young white couple...(maybe it's a Haitian household now, who knows?). Seemed OK but didn't enjoy the bus ride at times to the orange line for various reasons. I even took a bus route to the Mattapan trolley to Ashmont, thinking it may be faster to downtown. But, otherwise, no crime or stolen car issues for me.

Actually, I think lots of the homes in parts of
HP are nice, middle-class homes, but I see it late night in the cab, once a week at most. Unsure who really lives in those homes, and what goes on inside. But many homes there are as nice or much nicer than seen in parts of Southie, parts of Cambridge and Somerville, even parts of Medford, Arlington and Quincy.

I do recall over five years ago two separate incidents, I think, of shootings and/or stabbings in front of Tedeschi market...not far from the police station!

I'll somewhat disagree about the shabbiness of the retail area...it's much, much better than 10-25 years ago, right? Lots of facade improvements on River St. between Hyde Park Ave. and Truman Highway.

But, like many (?), sometimes I'm unsure if I'm in Hyde Park, Mattapan or Roslindale! Where exactly on Hyde Park Ave. is the Rozzie/HP border....at American Legion Highway? Same along cross streets like Metropolitan, West, Cummins Highway, Canterbury, etc. It's so confusing...at least for me.

Not sure if it's some Haitians, who someone above stated, who don't maintain their exterior homes...maybe when it was all lower income white exclusively, it would still look run down in parts? Were these homes proudly maintained a generation ago, when the folks were likely no more than middle-class? Perhaps, perhaps not.

It's too far, if I'm a yupoie, from downtown; at that point. May as well live in Quincy, Medford, Arlington or Somerville if obe can't afford in town and are agreeable to a commute.

Those areas were not town boundaries. So, it is only fair that you do not know the line. Many people do not. Only Hyde park actually had a town boundary. Mattapan is part of Dorchester. Roslindale is originally part of Roxbury. Different opinions have evolved over the years about the exacting lines of those "new" neighborhoods.

Bill

Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
Those areas were not town boundaries. So, it is only fair that you do not know the line. Many people do not. Only Hyde park actually had a town boundary. Mattapan is part of Dorchester. Roslindale is originally part of Roxbury. Different opinions have evolved over the years about the exacting lines of those "new" neighborhoods.

Bill
Right; Roslindale was originally part of Roxbury. After West Roxbury separated from Roxbury, Rozzie and Jamaica Plain were in West Roxbury until that too joined up with Boston. But historical town boundaries don't make it easier in most cases. Roxbury-Dorchester, for example-- Maybe the boundary followed some long buried creek but there's nothing now to tell whether you're in roxbury or in dorchester. Modern day West Roxbury, which is just the southwestern-most part of the original town, has a clear border with Roslindale in West Roxbury Parkway, even though there was never any town line there. Go figure.

Anyway, lots of good answers to OP's question but not sure we have a definitive explanation. Buying there seems a reasonably good bet. Maybe no speculative fever like East Boston or Mission Hill but it's not like you'll be underwater in HP which one certainly could be with property in Milford or lots of other drab, remote places.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:57 AM

is there 'fever' in Mission Hill? I hear a lot about east boston. It seems like there's a quite a of fever in Roslindale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston