Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM

406 posts, read 1,496,582 times

Advertisements

It's not a shopping cart, it's a "CARRIAGE".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,719 times
I never realized how much I took for granted that everyone said is actually Bahstoniahn

I miss Cumbies, I bang a U-ie, and I still call the troopers staties. Yes, they are sneakers.

And whoever said the people in Hollywood are destroying the bahstahn accent in movies is absolutely correct. Anytime I see someone trying not originally from here, I cringe.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I love this thread. I grew up in the South and while my mom lost her accent, my dad was always traveling so he still has a heavy Northeast MA/Southeast NH accent. And I guess I must have trained all my Southern friends into talking like me because I didn't realize that some of these were Bostonisms! Like "Bang a Uey!" Haha.

When we first moved to GA in 1990, my mom invited my next door neighbor over for a tonic to which she replied that she wasn't sick. Then she asked if she wanted to see the cellah to which the neighbor replied, "Oh, you have a WINE cellar?"

And I've always had dungarees, shopping carriages, sneakers, etc.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
And whoever said the people in Hollywood are destroying the bahstahn accent in movies is absolutely correct. Anytime I see someone trying not originally from here, I cringe.
This is not so much about murdering the accent, but I just had an argument with someone at work in NYC about Boston Legal. She loves the show; I said I have no issues with it except that there's nothing particularly Boston about it. When you watch Law & Order, or Seinfeld, there's a more obvious NY vibe that is incorporated into the show. They recognize that NYC has a unique accent/attitude/culture, and that is reflected. Boston Legal, on the other hand, could be set just about anywhere and really shouldn't be set in Boston, since the antics of the characters strike me as particulary un-Boston.

Maybe Hollywood can't win, since Boston people don't like it when they mess up trying to re-create local flavor, and I don't like it when they fail even to make the effort. My colleague think's I'm being too sensitive, but that strikes me as hollow coming from a New Yorker who can take for granted that Hollywood respects her city's unqiueness. It just bothers me since Boston is arguably the most local-centric and unique city in the US, above and beyond "pahking cahs," but you wouldn't know it watching David E. Kelley's shows.

Am I reading too much into this?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
This is not so much about murdering the accent, but I just had an argument with someone at work in NYC about Boston Legal. She loves the show; I said I have no issues with it except that there's nothing particularly Boston about it. When you watch Law & Order, or Seinfeld, there's a more obvious NY vibe that is incorporated into the show. They recognize that NYC has a unique accent/attitude/culture, and that is reflected. Boston Legal, on the other hand, could be set just about anywhere and really shouldn't be set in Boston, since the antics of the characters strike me as particulary un-Boston.

Maybe Hollywood can't win, since Boston people don't like it when they mess up trying to re-create local flavor, and I don't like it when they fail even to make the effort. My colleague think's I'm being too sensitive, but that strikes me as hollow coming from a New Yorker who can take for granted that Hollywood respects her city's unqiueness. It just bothers me since Boston is arguably the most local-centric and unique city in the US, above and beyond "pahking cahs," but you wouldn't know it watching David E. Kelley's shows.

Am I reading too much into this?
No. Ally McBeal was about as Boston as my Palm Springs mother-in-law LOL.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 PM

6 posts, read 19,794 times
"sneakers" is a boston word? Then what does the rest of the country call them? Trainers? I thought that was a british thing.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
My favorite... "so don't I" ... instead of SO DO I

Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
coco, in the St. Louis MO area, they are "tennis shoes"

Go Figure!!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:52 PM

24 posts, read 130,510 times
In Wisconsin they're "tennies"

Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 AM

130 posts, read 832,643 times
Default Sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococryspies View Post
"sneakers" is a boston word? Then what does the rest of the country call them? Trainers? I thought that was a british thing.
I grew up in Maryland, with parents from Indiana, and they were always sneakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston