Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,140,759 times

Advertisements

So, I want some recommendations from locals on stuff to check out in boston.

I really like coffee shops, and I want to ride the subway around and will be staying near copley square.

Any food recommendations?

Entertainment?

Is it worth it to check out Harvard or MIT campus?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:07 PM

596 posts, read 818,286 times
The Thinking Cup on Newbury is a popular coffee shop. No wifi.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:40 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
We've always liked Boston Beer Works over by Fenway.

When is your birthday?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post

Is it worth it to check out Harvard or MIT campus?
Yes. Especially Harvard, IMO. The museums are great. Natural History Museum (glass flowers etc) and the map museum are my favs, but if you like fine art you should hit the Fogg and others.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
^ Agreed about Harvard. Definitely check out the Peabody https://www.peabody.harvard.edu/ and the Fogg Homepage | Harvard Art Museums . You are free to roam around Harvard Yard, but just be aware, you won't be able to go into buildings like the Widener library without a Harvard ID, even on official Harvard Tours. A lot of really big names stop by Harvard to give lectures, talk about their books, etc, so might wanna check out events on their website or at places like Harvard Book Store's site Harvard Book Store . The MIT Museum on Mass Ave is also really cool MIT Museum . Check the websites, they have some certain times when you can go for free.

You might be slightly disappointed by the local coffee shops (I am). Thinking Cup is really the only place centrally located that I kinda like. There are at least a few of them- Newbury Street, Tremont Street, and Hanover Street. Most people get their coffee at Dunkin Donuts. College students swamp everywhere else, ear buds in and laptops open. I recommend Trident Bookstore & Cafe on Newbury street though. Really love that place. They serve a full menu, coffee, tea, specialty drinks, wine, beer. It's more of a social place than average cafes. Good seating, although a little cramped, and a bar. They do trivia Friday nights and are open pretty late, midnight every day (you'll Boston really isn't a late night kinda city).

For entertainment, I can just tell you what I like to do. You can get Boston Symphony Orchestra tickets for pretty cheap. I went last night for $17. They also have a program for select shows where if you're under 40 years old, you can get $20 tickets. Had a good time at this hookah bar in Charlestown recently koullshi (but be advised, it gets busy fast and you might have to wait an hour if you don't go early). Very nice area to walk around as well. Places like the Brighton Music Hall and the Sinclair sometimes have some good musical acts coming through. Great Scott can be good for local music as well as some under the radar national acts. Celtics tickets have been decently cheap this year, even have found some cheap Bruins tickets recently (under $40) on stubhub. College hockey is pretty good here with BC, BU, Harvard, Northeastern and cheaper than the NHL.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Will you be here when the weather is nice? There are different things going on in the nicer weather.

Faneuil Hall is usually fun. Street performers in the nice weather. Many walking tours leave from the Boston Common, Harvard is worth checking out (the school and neighborhood are fun places and there are walking tours there too led by students), Freedom trail of course is popular, check out the cemeteries (tours there too), consider tickets to the hop on hop off tour trolly, walk or rent a bike and ride up the esplanade or take in a Duck tour (overpriced IMO).

Have fun.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 PM

I will be there in a couple weeks Feb 20th or around then. Im hoping I can walk the freedom trail, catch some hockey, do some ice-skating, and walk through some awesome parks.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
I will be there in a couple weeks Feb 20th or around then. Im hoping I can walk the freedom trail, catch some hockey, do some ice-skating, and walk through some awesome parks.
If you are walking the Freedom Trail you can incorporate some really nice food/coffee stops on your journey. The trail officially starts in the Common, but I personally would encourage you to start at the Black Heritage trail in Beacon Hill, which connects to the official trail. It exposes you to some interesting Boston/American history that is not always at the forefront of everyone's mind, plus you get to spend time walking through one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the country. Here is the map, the Black Heritage Trail is marked in Blue (http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/pdfs/...Jan%202013.pdf)

You can stop off at Tatte Bakery on Charles Street in Beacon Hill for excellent coffee and pastries. The owner is Israeli and french bakery trained, so you see that fusion come out in her excellent pastry selection. They also use Stumptown espresso/coffee, which makes it a great cafe stop as well.

Boston, Charles Street - Tatte Bakery and Cafe

Once you hit the North End/FH/QM portion of your walk, you can stop at the Boston Public Market. Everything in the market is 100% locally sourced and gives you a nice view into the current Boston food scene. If you need a further caffeine fix, there is a George Howell coffee place in the market as well.

https://bostonpublicmarket.org/

If you want further suggestions for dinner let us know, depending on where you are staying people can steer you in the right direction. Have a great trip.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 PM

thanks so much!

How about affordable stuff to do, and things we may want to do if its cold outside.

If we are staying in the vicinity of Copley square?

What about non touristy awesome stuff?

Cheap amazing food places?

Breweries/ brew tours?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
For cheap eats around there I have always liked Bukowski's tavern on Dalton St. Its a genuine boston pub with good grub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston