Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm behind the times but oh my GOODNESS! Even the obscure street in Malden that my boyfriend lived on and the teeny tiny residential side street in Cambridge that I lived on this summer are documented! For those that don't know, Google street view is a new feature of Google maps where you literally have a street view of the city. You can move up and down the street and have a 360 degree view.

I assumed that it would only cover a small portion of Boston proper but come to find out, you can get a street view on most any street as far west as Watertown, north as Malden, and south as Quincy!

What does everyone think? Anyone else freaked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,031 times
The Boston version was released a little while ago, but it does have quite some good coverage. It's a nice service, even though I'm not sure how much I would use it. There are some other sites though that offer better resolution and more exact images.

There are some people who've got caught in funny situations on these pictures, but other than that I'm not too worried about it.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 PM

I only worry because you can literally see directly into the living room of the apartment I was in over the summer since the blinds/windows are open. Since my roomie and I were subletters, we didn't get the email to pull down our blinds until a few days later (when the subletee let us know). Not that it's my problem anymore since I no longer live there, but it's a bit scary that the picture is so clear.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM

35 posts, read 54,411 times
it doesnt show any of the ghettos or murderous hoods at all so its wack

Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M504 View Post
it doesnt show any of the ghettos or murderous hoods at all so its wack
It shows my ex's place which is probably considered by most on here the "ghetto" or a "murderous hood". :P And it certainly shows the projects nearby to where he lives.

What places does it have left off? Granted, it misses most of Dorchester and Roxbury, but it shows Savin Hill.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 PM

35 posts, read 54,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It shows my ex's place which is probably considered by most on here the "ghetto" or a "murderous hood". :P And it certainly shows the projects nearby to where he lives.

What places does it have left off? Granted, it misses most of Dorchester and Roxbury, but it shows Savin Hill.

Savin hill isnt even a bad neighborhood.

go to local.live.com and check out

-Geneva Ave
-interval street
-morton street
-crawford street
-Dever street

basically the streets in those areas, the areas google map doesnt show are pretty bad areas in Boston..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston