Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:12 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
South End is on the more dangerous side, its expensive but also full of housing projects...40% of the housing. Lots of shootings
The South End does not have a lot of shootings and less than 10% is projects. But yes, it is certainly more dangerous than Brookline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The South End does not have a lot of shootings and less than 10% is projects. But yes, it is certainly more dangerous than Brookline.
It is more dangerous than pretty much any neighborhood in Boston other than Dorchester or Roxbury. The "good parts" of the South End are never more than a few blocks from the bad parts. The area near BMC and I-93 is especially bad. Some luxury condos and brownstones don't make a neighborhood safe.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:56 AM

106 posts, read 245,369 times
Here there is another good website comparing Boston vs Los Angeles in different aspects.... and Boston is safer than LA:
https://my.teleport.org/compare/drt2.../Los%20Angeles

although housing and cost of living is worse in Boston than Los Angeles.

and also Boston vs London:
https://my.teleport.org/compare/drt2...n/gcpvj/London

and again, Boston is safer than London!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Because Brookline and Newton, while technically "cities" or "towns" are, like Arlington and Cambridge, not really suburbs and are considered part of Boston--the city itself. They all use Boston transit systems.
No, they are not part of the city of Boston just because they use the same transit system. Since they are separate cities, they are not part of the city of Boston. You just contradicted yourself.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:14 PM

106 posts, read 245,369 times
I don't know why the links above won't work anymore... here the links again, where Boston seems to be safer than LA and London:

https://teleport.org/compare/boston-and-los-angeles

https://teleport.org/compare/boston-and-london

Old 04-17-2016, 07:20 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I know. I'm just saying that the LA crime vs. Boston crime comparison isn't really accurate because it's not an apples to apples comparison. Boston numbers are based on a small cluster of mostly inner-city neighborhoods. LA's numbers are based on a spread out area that includes both inner-city neighborhoods and lower density suburban neighborhoods. It easily skews the data in LA's favor and paints a picture that in the gran scheme of things, is really not accurate.
This is exactly what i would disagree with, ther eis no skewing in LAs favor. Boston's city boundaries arent arbitrary at all.... LA has the same population density as Boston but a much larger population, its inner city areas are bigger than Bostons as are its nice parts. But to act like Bostons crime doesn't matter because Boston boundaries are small is disingenuous and insensitive to the problems and needs of particular areas in the city proper.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:30 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Idk....I just met a guy from Boston.....
He's going to Berklee college of music.
From what he said Boston is a
very cool place thats really fun & quaint......
I particularly loved it when he suddenly
broke into talking to me with a Boston accent

He happens to originally be from here so he knows
what a true bad neighborhood actually is lol

He said it's easy to know where to avoid there.....
I'd say NY would be way more dangerous.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:56 PM

617 posts, read 538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
and also Boston vs London:
https://my.teleport.org/compare/drt2...n/gcpvj/London

and again, Boston is safer than London!
That's unbelievable BS for anyone who lived in London like me.
UK generally has nearly no violent crime comparing to US, which is absolute leader in violence in the whole western world.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:24 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
That's unbelievable BS for anyone who lived in London like me.
UK generally has nearly no violent crime comparing to US, which is absolute leader in violence in the whole western world.
Not really though. All kinds of fun stuff here: Latest London Crime news

Old 04-21-2016, 10:32 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is exactly what i would disagree with, ther eis no skewing in LAs favor. Boston's city boundaries arent arbitrary at all.... LA has the same population density as Boston but a much larger population, its inner city areas are bigger than Bostons as are its nice parts. But to act like Bostons crime doesn't matter because Boston boundaries are small is disingenuous and insensitive to the problems and needs of particular areas in the city proper.
I don't think you understand what's being said about the issue with statistics vs. city limits.

Who said Boston's crime doesn't matter? All I've ever argued is that the crime statistics the OP is referring to are absolutely impacted by the political boundaries of Boston's city limits. Since Boston's city limits are only 49 square miles, the crime data posted here for Boston mostly includes the urban core. LA is 470 square miles (almost 10x larger than Boston). So the crime data includes the urban core, but it also includes a bunch of lower-density, middle class (and some better off) suburbs which offset the higher crime numbers of LA's urban core. LA's overall crime score benefits from the large city limits because that huge land area includes a lot of quieter suburbs which make the the overall score better. Boston's score is mostly based on data from inner-city neighborhoods. It doesn't benefit from a large proportion of lower density, more affluent suburbs like LA does (safer places like Milton, Dedham, Newton, Watertown, Needham, etc. would all be included in the data if all things were equal as they'd fall well within the 470 square mile radius from the city center that LA benefits from). To illustrate the point even further, Metropolitan Boston fares a good deal better than Metropolitan LA in terms of crime.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that politically boundaries like city limits- especially when they're as radically different as Boston and LA- are going to skew some data comparisons.

Last edited by lrfox; 04-21-2016 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston