Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 17,903 times

Advertisements

How are these streets? Range and Barna Rd. I plan to commute from the Ashmont Station. Is it a safe place to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
I don't live far from there. Those two streets are in a quiet secluded neighborhood so you shouldn't have any problems. Ashmont Station is just around the corner so you are basically living blocks away from a major transportation link. The only concern you might have is that there is a middle school right up Mercier Avenue and throngs of young people tend to congregate around Ashmont Station around 2:30 in a weekday afternoon but it should be all right if you don't mind living near a middle school. If you commute during rush hour, you will have absolutely no problem because the whole area is flushed with grownups getting to and from work as well.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 PM

4 posts, read 22,872 times
be careful out there in ashmont. people act kinda funny out there...

Old 03-29-2010, 05:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Absolutely, by all means be careful. And, you should get Urban Peasant to give you a block-by-block breakdown of "safeness". He's very good at that

Old 04-04-2010, 06:36 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
My wife and I have lived a block behind Ashmont Station for four years and haven't had any problems.
Just be cognizant of the fact that, although it doesn't look like it, you are in the city.
There are excellent dining opportunities here as the owner of Icarus opened two restaurants within spitting distance of the station.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My wife and I have lived a block behind Ashmont Station for four years and haven't had any problems.
Just be cognizant of the fact that, although it doesn't look like it, you are in the city.
There are excellent dining opportunities here as the owner of Icarus opened two restaurants within spitting distance of the station.

What kind of restaurant is Icarus? Is that the name of the those by the station?

Old 07-04-2016, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,804 times
Hi,

I'm moving to the Boston area from another state this upcoming year and am looking at a place located in the Ashmont neighborhood of Dorchester. The house is located around Bailey St. and Atherton St. I was wondering if you had a more updated opinion of this area? And whether it is a safe location?

Thanks

Old 07-06-2016, 08:54 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLeo View Post
Hi,

I'm moving to the Boston area from another state this upcoming year and am looking at a place located in the Ashmont neighborhood of Dorchester. The house is located around Bailey St. and Atherton St. I was wondering if you had a more updated opinion of this area? And whether it is a safe location?

Thanks
That immediate area is probably ok, but I just wouldn't want to live there.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:52 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLeo View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Atherstone Street you mean. Meh, Bailey Street is not a pleasant street IMO. It's full of rental properties and there are occasionally violent flareups on that street and nearby streets. There are worse parts of Dorchester but it's definitely not a street I'd zero in on buying a house to live in. As many major cities go however, a few streets away from Bailey Street such as Roslie Street or Mellen Street on Ashmont Hill are actually quite pleasant so you have that juxtaposition of good and bad right next to each other. To be even safer and comfortable, I'd look in the neighborhood on the other side of Ashmont Station around Carruth Street or Adams Street.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 30,275 times
That area is totally safe. Would I walk around alone at 2 am and leave my car unlocked? No, but I wouldn't do that anywhere . There can be some crime over by the T station, but overall it is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: