Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:23 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recall a local radio show called "Diego After Dark" on the now defunct, WFNX? I don't know how long it ran, but I recall listening in the late 80s... it was the only local radio show playing alternative bands (& I use the term loosely, as it's changed meaning over the years), like the Cure, Skinny Puppy, Naked Raygun, the Smiths, what he called Industrial Revolution, like Ministry & Front 242 & left-of-center local bands, like Think Tree & Cxema. I believe it was only on once/wk, perhaps on Friday for a few hours in the early evening.

The reason I ask is I've often thought of the host, Diego. He was engaging & knew his band history better than most. I was just a kid, but often bought records (the old LPs) at Newbury Comics in H'vard Sq, unheard, based on some of the records he played & tracing back into other bands with the same members. He got me interested in band history & later, I began reading lots of US/UK punk journals, autobiographies & bios of bands. I was wondering if he was still doing a radio show somewhere, cuz I'd love to listen to him, even if his format has changed.

I recall a short article about him once, probably in the Boston Phoenix, but can't seem to locate it online. I believe his real first name is Diego. I'm unsure how he got his gig... if he were an Emerson student, musician... & I could be wrong, but I believe he was from R.I.

In any event, if anyone knows where Diego is now, I'd love to know.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 10:24 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,426,863 times
I remember Diego doing a show called "Moods for Moderns" on WFNX.

If you were a fan of WFNX, you might enjoy reading these articles:

http://thephoenix.com/boston/music/1...ver-the-years/

Listening to WFNX 1983-2012 - Music Features - Boston Phoenix

Several of the former 'FNX DJs will be at a fundraiser at Notch Brewing in Salem next Tuesday:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1361960870549791/

Old 05-26-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I remember Diego doing a show called "Moods for Moderns" on WFNX.

If you were a fan of WFNX, you might enjoy reading these articles:

What did 101.7 FM mean to listeners over the years? We asked, you answered - Music Features

Listening to WFNX 1983-2012 - Music Features - Boston Phoenix

Several of the former 'FNX DJs will be at a fundraiser at Notch Brewing in Salem next Tuesday:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1361960870549791/
Your links are a dead end, "page cannot be found".

Thanks for the fundraising info. I don't live in Boston any longer & don't recognize any names. Must have been from more recent years... or at least, after I left.

Thanks anyway.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:13 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Links worked fine for me.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Links worked fine for me.
Not for me after 1/2-dozen attempts. I'll search for the article titles later.

ETA: Nope, still can't reach them. If you can, perhaps there are some sort of blocks set in my browser/OS...

Last edited by A.Typical.Girl; 05-26-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
I can't help the OP, but reading those articles makes me miss WFNX. 101.7 is still on my radio preset (as there was not really anything to replace it with), so when I accidentally hit that preset in my car and hear the awful country station it's been replaced with, it makes me sad.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I can't help the OP, but reading those articles makes me miss WFNX. 101.7 is still on my radio preset (as there was not really anything to replace it with), so when I accidentally hit that preset in my car and hear the awful country station it's been replaced with, it makes me sad.
I totally understand, Jay. I miss the station, too. (And, I'm still peeved that I can't reach the articles!) Back when I was a kid & went to the Channel, the Paradise Lounge in Brookline, TT the Bears & Ground Zero in Central Sq, Edible Rex in Billerica, Green St. Station in Jamaica Plain & a few other places I can't now recall to see local & many national bands... oh, well, Diego was an important part of that as I hadn't heard of many of the musicians/bands until he mentioned them on his radio show.

It was impossible back then, pre computer-in-the-home days, to know what was available until visiting small record stores, mostly in Harvard Sq. or Allston, & talking to their knowledgeable owners, to find out who was what & in which band. We relied upon the Boston Phoenix to tell us where to go & Diego to tell us who to listen to...

Are you old enough to remember a pile of bands playing every Wed at the Channel for $1.01 because WFNX 101.7 sponsored the show? I still remember that awful Tuborg beer they served... a couple of dollars, tasting like dishwater & served in a movie theatre popcorn sized cup. It was awful... & wonderful!

Remember Allston Beat? Can't believe I tossed my skull boots, which I bought for $40. I've seen them being sold online for $200. Good times.

Thanks for commenting.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
Yes. All of it. Diego had a great show.
Also, Who Remembers 232-CITY phone number to call and listen to various local bands over the phone by pressing a number. That was truly groundbreaking sxit in 1994.
Allston Beat was the best. I got my KoolAss PimpGear shirts there.
and Lolipop Magazine

Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yes. All of it. Diego had a great show.
Also, Who Remembers 232-CITY phone number to call and listen to various local bands over the phone by pressing a number. That was truly groundbreaking sxit in 1994.
Allston Beat was the best. I got my KoolAss PimpGear shirts there.
and Lolipop Magazine
Lollipop's online & has a cool archives section:

</title> <link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css"> <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/ico" href="images/favicon.ico"> <style media="screen" type="text/css"></style> <script language="Javascript"> </script> <script language="JavaScript"> </scri

My mag of choice was the Phoenix, so I could find the Cheap Eats section for the biggest plate of food under $6 for weekend lunch in Central Sq & which bands were playing on the weekend. Besides, I got a kick out of the giant guy who used to sell the paper in the middle of Arlington St. near Copley, whose reply to "How are you?" was always "Oh, plodding along".

Thanks for your reply, GP.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
Wow. thats a huge score. Thanks for the links. remember the shows at deli haus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston