Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 02:13 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,430,287 times

Advertisements

Need some assistance in finding excellent bookstores with rare collections outside of Boston's academic industrial complex?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 04:11 PM

126 posts, read 123,886 times
Coup? " Boston's academic industrial complex? " never heard that term before but it fits. Short road trips, Providence and Hanover NH. 2 Ivies both in easy day trips from Boston metro, no clue about libraries they have and contents but its worth the trip.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
the two bookstores at downtown crossing are all I know
one is a large sponsor/driver of the antiquarian book fair
honestly, i'd look up the exhibitors of that fair and work from there

Old 07-05-2017, 08:56 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,730,559 times
I like Brookline Booksmith, in Coolidge Corner. They have a floor of used books, but I don't know how many rare collections they have.

You could call and ask them. I know that it is a bit of a problem here -- there was an article in the Globe not too long ago about how older people die with extensive book collections, including rare and desirable books, but there isn't a large enough market for them, and the heirs have trouble finding people to take them. They don't want to just throw them out because they are, in some cases, rare and valuable (in a sense) but only for the right person. I'm not sure where they end up going. It might be worth a visit to More than Words, who have locations in Boston and Waltham.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:56 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Brookline Booksmith is a great independent bookstore that is decent in size and buzzing with activity. It's a great local place to support and give one's business too. However, they don't have rare collections that I'm aware of. There are indeed used books downstairs but they aren't rare.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
Concord MA has a few antiquarian book sellers.

Trident Booksellers on Newbury Street used to have very rare books on art and miscellaneous esoteric topics. I haven't been in there for a few years, so can't confirm if they still do.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 07-10-2017 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 AM

65 posts, read 179,366 times
The Brookline Booksmith is also my favorite area bookstore although I do not think they specialize in antiquarian books. Re: new books, they always have the best selection in the Boston area IMO. Their basement contains used books although generally nothing collectible. I personally do not care for the Harvard Bookstore, which also sells mostly new books with a non-collectible used selection in the basement. It's larger than the Booksmith but not as well curated. The Harvard Bookstore staff are nasty IME (as well as trashy - can you tell we had some issues?)

Maybe the Brattle Bookshop, which is a short walk from either the T stops at Downtown Crossing or Park Street near the Common? Brattle Book Shop

When I went out to Tanglewood recently, the hotel had a pamphlet of Massachusetts antiquarian booksellers. I wish I could post that here for you. You may want to try SNEAB or MARIAB (unsure if the latter is still around) for similar listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston