Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,694,655 times

Advertisements

since my main purpose on going up there is to go on a photo tour (part vaca, part work), i want to go to as many photogenic places as possible. using SmartDestinations Go Card for Boston, i've chosen these 2 so far - Skywalk Observatory and Charles River cruise. i figured a museum would be a good final option but i can't decide which one to go to. i do know i'm not interested in the Fine Art museums since i'd basically be taking pictures of pictures so to speak. so i've narrowed my choices down to these - Museum of Science, Harvard Museum of Natural History, MIT Museum and Peabody Essex Museum (though i'd rather not go that far north).
a few criteria..
the museum has to allow cameras inside obviously.
the exhibits have to be interesting/cool enough to take photos of.

i'd also like to visit Boston Common but not sure how to get there from my hotel (Hyatt Cambridge). any ideas on that?
or maybe there's a really cool architecture bldg i can check out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 05:38 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
I don't know how serious a photographer you are, but mueseum photography is tough. There's just never enough indoor light and while cameras are usually allowed, tripods and flashes are not. You'll be shooting high ISO blurry photos. It's also a bit discouraging because the meuseum itself can generally take photos with full support and great light. There's also not much room to get creative.

Boston is a walking city. I'd recommend walking the old parts of town (roughly the freedom trail) and trying to find interesting buildings in good light.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:45 AM

4,635 posts, read 4,903,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
i'd also like to visit Boston Common but not sure how to get there from my hotel (Hyatt Cambridge). any ideas on that?
or maybe there's a really cool architecture bldg i can check out??
20 min or so. Walk over the BU Bridge, take the Green Line to Arlington, Boylston, or Park. Or walk to Central Square and take the Red line to Park

Harvard has the only Corbu building in the US. The art museum just reopened with a Renzo Piano addition. MIT has some interesting buildings - like the Gehry building that leaks. Both the central branch of the Boston Public Library (Copley square) and the Cambridge public library are award winning designs.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I don't know how serious a photographer you are, but mueseum photography is tough. There's just never enough indoor light and while cameras are usually allowed, tripods and flashes are not. You'll be shooting high ISO blurry photos. It's also a bit discouraging because the meuseum itself can generally take photos with full support and great light. There's also not much room to get creative.

Boston is a walking city. I'd recommend walking the old parts of town (roughly the freedom trail) and trying to find interesting buildings in good light.
let's just say i'm not a cell phone shooter. i have a full fledged DSLR (Nikon D750) with 5 lenses of various types so i'm fairly serious though not a pro.

and thx for the freedom trail suggestion. it's offered as an option on SD for a discount so that could be my 3rd option..

Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
let's just say i'm not a cell phone shooter. i have a full fledged DSLR (Nikon D750) with 5 lenses of various types so i'm fairly serious though not a pro.

and thx for the freedom trail suggestion. it's offered as an option on SD for a discount so that could be my 3rd option..
I find the more serious you are about cameras the more frustrating museum photography is. Perhaps you're more comfortable going to high ISO though.

Also, I'm not sure what SD is, but the freedom trail is just a line on the ground that's free to walk. A guided tour might be interesting, but it would not be conducive to getting much more than snapshots (unless it's a guided photography tour).

Old 07-20-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I find the more serious you are about cameras the more frustrating museum photography is. Perhaps you're more comfortable going to high ISO though.

Also, I'm not sure what SD is, but the freedom trail is just a line on the ground that's free to walk. A guided tour might be interesting, but it would not be conducive to getting much more than snapshots (unless it's a guided photography tour).
i tend to try and stay under 1000 ISO because even with in-camera noise reduction turned on, i still get noise even as low as 1000. on my camera anyway.

SD = Smart Destinations. i mentioned it in the first post. reading up on the freedom trail, they do have tours but there has to be a group of 10 or more. rather than do that, i'll just go on my own so i can take my time. plus isn't the trail fairly close to the common? kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Freedom trail is a couple of miles

Old 07-20-2017, 01:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,407,311 times
Don't miss the courtyard at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

Some other good spots include the Harvard (Mass Ave) bridge, BU bridge and Grand Junction Railroad bridge (right near your hotel), Beacon Hill (Acorn Street), Public Garden, North End, Fan Pier, Fenway Park, Harvard Yard, Arnold Arboretum. Boston is a photogenic city. Enjoy...

Old 07-20-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Don't miss the courtyard at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

Some other good spots include the Harvard (Mass Ave) bridge, BU bridge and Grand Junction Railroad bridge (right near your hotel), Beacon Hill (Acorn Street), Public Garden, North End, Fan Pier, Fenway Park, Harvard Yard, Arnold Arboretum. Boston is a photogenic city. Enjoy...
so much to see in so little time. the Gardner Museum definitely caught my eye on the SD site. i might go there just for the courtyard and forget the art.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 862,883 times
Agree with many of porterhouse recommendations. Mass Ave bridge, beacon hill, commonwealth Ave near the park, public garden. North end, Christopher Columbus park also have some nice shots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston