Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 3,397 times

Advertisements

Hi there, everyone!

My family and I are looking to move around the summer to Boston, MA.. we currently live in Chicago (Lakeview neighborhood) and after some research, we decided that Brookline was a good fit for us (we are a young couple with 2 small children; it has more of a city vibe without compromising good elementary schools).

We have found some obstacles when trying to lease an apartment. The budget is not that big of an issue, the real thing is that we are frowned upon by the landlords because we have two children under 6 years old. Which, we recently found out is to be a whole other deal when renting..because the place has to be deleaded??? In such a hot market, I'm sure people aren't very willing to waste their time or money helping families relocate. I've heard that Newton is also a good place for families, but we are considering it only as a last resort, for we are not ready to trade the city lifestyle (walk to school, take the train, etc)

Do you guys know or can recommend a Broker that can help us look for apartments? How would you recommend we approach the renting issue?
Do you know any other neighborhoods that can be better for our situation?

Thank you so much for your attention and responses in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 04:23 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
I know this is an issue and it is technically illegal, but that doesn't seem to stop it from occurring. One suggestion I have is joining Facebook groups for Brookline (and maybe also for Newton -- there are lots of people who move from Brookline to Newton and some people who live in Newton but own condos that they rent in Brookline. One group where I have seen people ask about rentals is called Newton Parents. You could say you are moving possibly to Newton (if they ask you why you want to join) and then ask if people know of places in either Newton or Brookline). I'm sure there are similar FB groups for Brookline.

While I think Brookline is ideal, there are definitely parts of Newton that will work well for you too -- access to the T, and walkable to schools, shops, restaurants, etc.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2018, 04:49 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Are you sure about this? Brookline and Newton are very, very expensive. Chicago has some issues ( crime in some sections, pension liabilities, etc), but it's generally a bit more affordable. If you do, though, both Brookline and Newton have at least 2, if not more , subway lines running through them ( above ground, though), and Brookline is the walkable community that's near the Longwood medical community, and also Fenway Park ( for a small portion of Brookline). Also, expect to pay several months' (3-4) rent up front to secure a place, and this will set you back at least a five thousand, and likely a bit more.

In sum, just make sure that it's worth it. I like Chicago quite a bit, and Boston has a high sticker price.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,152 times
What's your budget? With enough of a budget you could definitively get a nice deleaded place. But it will cost an arm and a leg each month.

I think Cambridge schools are underrated, they don't have as good test scores as a place like Brookline because it's more economically diverse, but as far as per capita education spending Cambridge is way above every other town and their high school (Ridge and Latin) is very highly regarded. But Cambridge is just as expensive as Brookline, just giving another option though.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I know this is an issue and it is technically illegal, but that doesn't seem to stop it from occurring. One suggestion I have is joining Facebook groups for Brookline (and maybe also for Newton -- there are lots of people who move from Brookline to Newton and some people who live in Newton but own condos that they rent in Brookline. One group where I have seen people ask about rentals is called Newton Parents. You could say you are moving possibly to Newton (if they ask you why you want to join) and then ask if people know of places in either Newton or Brookline). I'm sure there are similar FB groups for Brookline.

While I think Brookline is ideal, there are definitely parts of Newton that will work well for you too -- access to the T, and walkable to schools, shops, restaurants, etc.

Good luck!
This is great info! Thank you, Facebook has definitely proven useful! Yes! We are also spooking for newton.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Are you sure about this? Brookline and Newton are very, very expensive. Chicago has some issues ( crime in some sections, pension liabilities, etc), but it's generally a bit more affordable. If you do, though, both Brookline and Newton have at least 2, if not more , subway lines running through them ( above ground, though), and Brookline is the walkable community that's near the Longwood medical community, and also Fenway Park ( for a small portion of Brookline). Also, expect to pay several months' (3-4) rent up front to secure a place, and this will set you back at least a five thousand, and likely a bit more.

In sum, just make sure that it's worth it. I like Chicago quite a bit, and Boston has a high sticker price.
Yeah, Chicago has issues, but they almost always happen in certain areas, so as long as you keep in east areas or north, you should be fine. The prices are more or less similar for the kind of apartment that we are looking for... oh! Thanks for the heads up about the upfront payments! I think it’s a Boston/NYC thing. It’s cobren very helpful. Thank you!

Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 AM

596 posts, read 818,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Are you sure about this? Brookline and Newton are very, very expensive. Chicago has some issues ( crime in some sections, pension liabilities, etc), but it's generally a bit more affordable. ...Also, expect to pay several months' (3-4) rent up front to secure a place, and this will set you back at least a five thousand, and likely a bit more.

Why do people always do this here? The question has nothing to do with whether OP should move here or how much they have to spend.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
What's your budget? With enough of a budget you could definitively get a nice deleaded place. But it will cost an arm and a leg each month.

I think Cambridge schools are underrated, they don't have as good test scores as a place like Brookline because it's more economically diverse, but as far as per capita education spending Cambridge is way above every other town and their high school (Ridge and Latin) is very highly regarded. But Cambridge is just as expensive as Brookline, just giving another option though.
Well, we are playing around 3000 but, looking how the market is, we might be able to be flexible.. for a 2 bedroom should be enough, yes?
Cambridge...I’ve heard so many good things. That thing you said about schools, make sense. I’ll definitely look into it. Is it just my perception or is it a little more expensive than Brookline?

Thank you so much for your insight. I really appreciate it

Last edited by zenirey; 05-23-2018 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Wrong number

Old 05-23-2018, 11:39 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenirey View Post
Well, we are playing around 3000 but, looking how the market is, we might be able to be flexible.. for a 2 bedroom should be enough, yes?
Cambridge...I’ve heard so many good things. That thing you said about schools, make sense. I’ll definitely look into it. Is it just my perception or is it a little more expensive than Brookline?

Thank you so much for your insight. I really appreciate it
Chicagoan turned Bostonian (back and forth).

Cambridge schools are excellent.. I do not believe the test scores are indicative of the system in place, especially when you're talking about the broad range of sociodemographics that exist. Cambridge R&L (public high school) is fantastic.. A tier up from an Evanston, but similar in diversity. As far as academics in Brookline, the schools are probably more comparable to the Stevenson/Glenbrook districts of the world as far as test scores and overall education quality. Brookline is very international, though, and is certainly a bit more urban than those top schools in the suburbs of Illinois.

$3K for a 2 bedroom is going to be very tight if you're looking at decent location with some modern comforts. If you have a pet, you'll likely only have a few options in general. Add in deleaded to the equation, and it could be real tough. Unfortunately, Cambridge is even more expensive, though it's 2x the size so you should have some more options at your disposal.

If it were me, my preference would be Cambridge and then Brookline and maybe even Davis Square in Somerville. Davis Square and Spring Hill are really really nice. As the kids get older/if I'm done with city living, that's when I'd consider Newton.

EDIT: Look at Arlington. Not quite as urban as Lakeview, but very dense with a nice walking downtown and many different neighborhoods. Great access to Cambridge, great schools, and a tad cheaper than Brookline/Cambridge/Somerville.

Last edited by mwj119; 05-23-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 12:48 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
Former Lakeview resident here. Brookline too. We've since moved to the North Shore, where unicorns delivery sunshine and gumdrops in hoofwoven baskets 367 days a year, but that's another story.

The spot you pick to wake up in every day depends on your commute. $3k for a two-bedroom is not all that difficult to find in most parts of town unless you're accustomed to turndown service and a bidet.

Lead paint is a don't-ask situation. Very few landlords have gone through the certification process, and they won't want to. We moved to Massachusetts with a ten-month-old and the lead paint thing was a shock. And then we realized the only thing that differed between the living conditions where we were at and Boston was the safety and health guidance being provided.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston