Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,931 times

Advertisements

Afternoon guys,

I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some assistance with my query!!

I am a 35 year old qualified accountant from Ireland and am looking to immigrate to Boston in early 2018. I hold a Master's degree in Accounting of which I received a first class honours from University College Cork. I am currently employed here in Cork and will be working up until the point of exiting Ireland.

I will be going to the US with my partner who was born in Boston and has US citizenship but has been living in Ireland most of her life - before anyone says, marriage is not an option right now for us!

My queries effectively are:
- what are my possibilities in being able to commence employment legally in the US?
- is there a specific visa I have to apply for?
- would it be best to wait until I get to the US to commence searching for employment or do I need to have a position secured before I arrive?

Any help with the above or if there is anyone who has been through something similar recently that could advise me of what would be best to do would be a great help!

Thank you!

Stephen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Marriage may not be an option for you but it's likely the only way you could get a visa to legally work in the US.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
Marry her and the rest will be history, believe me. Your soon to be wife will nag you to fly your young family to Disneyworldland and you will become what you 6always dreamt of becoming ever since you happened on that grainy image of ...

Old 10-10-2017, 06:07 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
You two can apply for a fiancé visa.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:16 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You two can apply for a fiancé visa.
That would be fraudulent. Bad advice.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:25 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
I assumed they would get married eventually. Otherwise, he's just using her to gain entrance to this country and that would be fraudulent.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
There are basically three ways for someone from Ireland to obtain the legal right to work in the US:

1) Have a family member sponsor you (marriage is a common method)
2) Have an employer sponsor you
3) Win the "green card lottery"

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/po...-america-today

The odds decrease as you walk down that list. Accountancy is fine work, but we don't have a pressing need for accountants in the US. Unless you've got some special skills that an American company needs, I don't think you'll have much luck trying to get a job from Ireland. The odds on the "green card lottery" are incredibly long.

You say marriage is not an option. That's good to establish, as without marriage moving to the US is probably not a reasonable option, either. As immigrant friendly as we used to be, it's just really tough for someone from Europe to move here without a spouse or a job. My understanding is it would be equally difficult for me to move Ireland. It's just the way it is these days.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,931 times
Thanks very much for your help guys! Appreciate the replies! ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: