Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 7,975 times

Advertisements

I feel compelled to warn any people moving to Boston, concerning the illegal tricks that landlords use in rentals.

I was offered a job and had 30 days to start a job in Boston. I had a big dog and not much time. I hired a realtor (was a sleeze) who told me that I would not find a nice place to rent with a big dog but he just 'happened' to know a woman who owns a two-family home that has a big dog herself, with an apt to rent.

He pulled that trick where a realtor shows you several pieces of crap and then the one he wants you to rent (of course it is the nicest of all).
I took the one he suggested (turned out that he and woman are business partners).

Found out recently that the woman had most of her utilities hooked to my gas and electric meters! She started screaming and yelling at me like I did something wrong. I wasn't going to fight with the *****.

She also used plugs that were wired to my utilities and that they lied..there are nice, property managed places that do take dogs. I just found one.

The woman yelled and bitched and locked the cellar so I couldn't find anymore things hooked to my utilities (and denied further use of washer and dryer, where I am paying for her use of it!

I hear that these are common tricks that owners of rentals use, everywhere.

* If the cellar (or where meters and the lines running to it) is off limits, if your bills are high, even if the owner of building doesn't live there..you could even be given use of coin operated machines and then be billed for the hotwater and gas that the machines use.. to boot!

BEWARE.....Beware of rentals in Boston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 AM

967 posts, read 4,791,216 times
I'd recommend calling the Mass Tenant Rights Association. If you have written lease terms and copies of your utility bills I would think you could force this individual to reimburse you for the costs, or at the very least report this person for these shenanigans. Moreover, the electric company should have records of whether there are two separate electric meters for the property. If not, I don't think they're allowed to charge you for this but I would defer to the Tenant Assoc for guidance on that.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,293,587 times
Ditto what scarletfire said. Plus, call the utility companies directly. Also, I'd report the realtor who recommended the apartment to the state realty association.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:34 PM
miu

17,771 posts, read 40,230,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesphPm View Post
there are nice, property managed places that do take dogs. I just found one.

BEWARE.....Beware of rentals in Boston!
There are sleazy landlords all over the world. You can't blame your one experience on it being a common occurrence in Boston or in the state of MA. Your mistake was not talking to more real estate agents before moving into that first apartment. And you had no problems finding a better place! I really hope that you take the time to report that bad real estate agent and that landlady to the proper authorities. Best of luck with your new place.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM

10,054 posts, read 15,725,367 times
How long were you there? If your damages are below $2000, you can bring her to small claims court. You do not need an attorney. Sometimes you can recover double or triple damages based on the particular dispute with the landlord. Like the other posters suggested, get evidence from the utility company. If you had to pay a security deposit, was it returned when you moved?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,975 times
Default Thanks for the replies

The responses were helpful and appreciated.

I would recommend people who are moving to areas that they are unfamiliar with to look for property managed building verses privately owned two-three-four apartment homes for rent. The landlords don't have as strick of rules and the dishonest ones haven't paid for their own cable, hot water etc, for many, many years (all on the tenants unknowing tabs).

Besides the old homes may have a fresh cook of paint on the outside but are old buildings, old wiring (one plug in each room, closets that are only 6 inches deep, old-dangerous furnaces).

Not to say they are all that bad but in Roslindale area that's all I saw and went north of Boston.

Good luck to all who are moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston