Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 05:20 AM

8 posts, read 9,256 times

Advertisements

Is it worth moving to Boston, I have family there. I could stay rent free for 6 months, but it seems most of the jobs in Boston are all Education past High school.

I'm a warehouse manager in Cleveland and looking at jobs in Boston in the same field.

Is Boston just to overrated and extremely expenses for what you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 05:55 AM

155 posts, read 136,394 times
I am kind of a Boston hater at this point, but I can be objective to answer your question. Although I am sick of this place, I think some people come here and like it because wherever they came from did not have much going on. I have never been to Cleveland so I cannot say what you would be leaving.

Your values matter to the discussion. Can you tell us why you are considering leaving and what you need to live? What are you lacking in Cleveland?

My instincts tell me that you would not have a problem getting a job. Question is -- would the job be better than the one you have now? Have you looked for jobs yet via the internet? This could help you figure out if you should even bother considering. Check this out https://www.indeed.com/q-Warehouse-M...,-MA-jobs.html

This cost of living calculator might help
https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator

Old 02-06-2020, 06:12 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
definitely overrated and overpriced but definitely way nicer than Cleveland. Its a good city.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:48 AM

8 posts, read 9,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baysky View Post
I am kind of a Boston hater at this point, but I can be objective to answer your question. Although I am sick of this place, I think some people come here and like it because wherever they came from did not have much going on. I have never been to Cleveland so I cannot say what you would be leaving.

Your values matter to the discussion. Can you tell us why you are considering leaving and what you need to live? What are you lacking in Cleveland?

My instincts tell me that you would not have a problem getting a job. Question is -- would the job be better than the one you have now? Have you looked for jobs yet via the internet? This could help you figure out if you should even bother considering. Check this out https://www.indeed.com/q-Warehouse-M...,-MA-jobs.html

This cost of living calculator might help
https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator

Thank you for the response, I been always wanting to go to Boston or Chicago, being gay and young in Cleveland Sucks, I want to be in a city with options. I lived in Boston in the late 90s as a kid, still have family there. But it seems just so expensive to live there now, and I don't want to regret the decision I make.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingon43215 View Post
Thank you for the response, I been always wanting to go to Boston or Chicago, being gay and young in Cleveland Sucks, I want to be in a city with options. I lived in Boston in the late 90s as a kid, still have family there. But it seems just so expensive to live there now, and I don't want to regret the decision I make.

There are better cities for the money (esp if you're not a highly educated white collar professional) for a young gay person. Heck, I'd even say Providence, which is more affordable, is probably a better bet. Or Chicago, which is a tad cheaper, and has boys town. The South End, the main gay (for guys anyway) scene has died down. Machine/Ramrod is no more (tearing it down for student housing). Lots of my que*r friends form Boston actually come down for the Providence scene.

I don't think Boston is overrated, but it is expensive for what you get. That said, I don't think it would be a good fit for you with the limited info you provided.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:53 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Providence or Chicago my man

Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Providence or Chicago my man
Yeah. This.

There is poster that was living in Boston for some time who is from and now back in Cleveland. If he weighs in, it could be helpful.

I think that if you're moving to Boston, you'd want to ensure that you have a job that will make it easy to adjust to the cost of living. If you're a warehouse manager, the likelihood that you can find a job here that will pay you enough to live comfortable in a decent neighborhood near the city will be slim. Especially if you're unwilling to take on a roommate or something similar. It's just hard to imagine your quality of life would improve all that much. But, if you are able to find a job that pays much better than what you have now and is enough to offset the increased cost of living, go for it. I just doubt that's going to be easy to find.

6 months rent free with family is nice, but it's not enough to really put a big dent in your overall living expenses here.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:22 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
It seems you may be in your early 30s?

Yes, Boston housing is very expensive, usually the third most expensive city nationally for years! Forget about owning a house or condo unless you have a great income or family help.

It's not uncommon here at 30 y.o. to have several roommates, though of course some do very well as there are great jobs here for college grads, and they own nice condos or homes at 30 years old or younger.

Have you checked rents on Craigslist? But this isn't Chicago, so you won't find any crappy studos for only $900-$1,000; it'll be much costlier here. Maybe the wages will be higher here for most jobs than in Cleveland, however.

But it you don't own a car here, our transit system can be very good and rather widespread -- yes, despite well-publicized breakdowns more and more in recent years, far too often. You'll save hundreds monthly in car expenses you can apply to your housing budget.

Check out Bay Windows online our weekly LGBT paper. And they still publish a print edition. Rainbow Times is a gay monthly for New England, in print and maybe online.

Fenway Health is our great gay-friendly health care center for health, dental, vision, psychiatry, meds, etc. LGBTQ and all are welcome.

Boston is relatively safe overall, supposedly more so than most of Cleveland?

Most people I meet while driving Uber just love Boston, whether visiting or relocating. You'll hear the words "great" and "beautiful" about Boston from many! No, not all of the city or nearby area is impressive or beautiful, but likely better or as nice as anywhere in America? Of course, perceptions and experiences usually depend on one's age, education and socioeconomic background.

Can we ask if you are Caucasian? It's a pretty white city, but less so than ever. I think whites are, in fact, the minority in the city, and diversity is evident like in most cities nowadays.

Oh, I think most gay males will be accepted by most here, at least in or near Boston, to some degree, probably as well or better than most cities in America.

It's generally accepted that it's hard for transplants to meet people here if no longer in college.

Ocasionally, I meet visitors or even locals who are not impressed with the city or the people here.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:30 AM

122 posts, read 167,982 times
Don't kid yourself. The fact that Boston heavily skews to white collar workers is great for us blue collar workers, since all those middle class people need services. With high demand for services and less competition for blue collar jobs, the pay is higher here than other cities. Whether the extra money is enough to cover the higher rents depends on individual circumstances. However, there are a ton of job openings here. And the quality of life beats Cleveland by a long shot. I was just in Cleveland last week, so I do know of what I speak. Start with crime. I live in a non elite blue collar heavily immigrant area, and even here, crime is not much of a problem. Most people are doing pretty well. And the nice areas of Boston are very nice, and there's always a lot going on. With a free place to stay for a while, why not give it a try? Nobody later regrets the things they didn't do.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,840,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
Don't kid yourself. The fact that Boston heavily skews to white collar workers is great for us blue collar workers, since all those middle class people need services. With high demand for services and less competition for blue collar jobs, the pay is higher here than other cities. Whether the extra money is enough to cover the higher rents depends on individual circumstances. However, there are a ton of job openings here. And the quality of life beats Cleveland by a long shot. I was just in Cleveland last week, so I do know of what I speak. Start with crime. I live in a non elite blue collar heavily immigrant area, and even here, crime is not much of a problem. Most people are doing pretty well. And the nice areas of Boston are very nice, and there's always a lot going on. With a free place to stay for a while, why not give it a try? Nobody later regrets the things they didn't do.
Good advice! Lots of blue collar work, decent neighborhoods, relatively low crime. Over-rated is in the eye of the beholder-- you might like it and you'll have six months to find out before things get real. There's a lot to like about Boston. Years ago-- 40 or 50 years ago, Boston and Cleveland were much more comparable, both having been prosperous much earlier, both having problems with decline and white flight, both with certain advantages-- symphony orchestra, museums, playhouses, trolley car lines taking you to high-income suburbs. Boston's had better luck than Cleveland since then. I remember a guy getting into my cab back in the 1970s, had just moved here from Cleveland and was looking forward to living in a city that had beautiful neighborhoods right in the city. That's still true and maybe the biggest difference, all the really nice, urbane and well preserved neighborhoods right in the city center. Not that any of us can afford to live in them but the sidewalk and the park is free to enjoy.

Providence is a good alternative too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston