Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 12:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,532 times

Advertisements

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...-hour-commute/

We're #1. Yay for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 01:37 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,455 times
Traffic here is nothing compared to LA and NY Metro areas. Those rankings should be thrown out.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 2,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Traffic here is nothing compared to LA and NY Metro areas. Those rankings should be thrown out.
I laugh when people say this. Have you lived in LA? Traffic is much worse in Boston.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:43 PM

Actually I have lived in LA. There is no comparison between freeway congestion and volumes there vs here. None. And I’m comparing metro area vs. metro area. Greater Boston outside of 128 simply has much lower population density than most of the Southland. Period.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:14 PM

5 posts, read 2,746 times
Quote:
Actually I have lived in LA. There is no comparison between freeway congestion and volumes there vs here. None. And I’m comparing metro area vs. metro area. Greater Boston outside of 128 simply has much lower population density than most of the Southland. Period.
Definitely a lie. Boston travel speeds are much slower. Going 10 miles across Boston takes much longer than LA. This is pretty much irrefutable. Any traffic you perceive is due to the fact that LA is like 10 times larger and you're traveling a much larger distance.

Take going from Dana Farber to JFK, two places accessible via public transportation - roughly 50 minutes, driving also 50 minutes. 4 miles.
Take going from USC Health to Ktown (LA), two places also accessible via public transportation - roughly 40 minutes, driving 45 minutes. 8 miles.

Another more salient compariso:

USC Health to Santa Monica is 55 minutes driving. 20 miles.
Dana Farber to Marblehead is 2 hours driving. 20 miles.

etc etc

Last edited by proceedtemp; 03-09-2020 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-09-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proceedtemp View Post
Definitely a lie. Boston travel speeds are much slower. Going 10 miles across Boston takes much longer than LA. This is pretty much irrefutable. Any traffic you perceive is due to the fact that LA is like 10 times larger and you're traveling a much larger distance.

Take going from Dana Farber to JFK, two places accessible via public transportation - roughly 50 minutes, driving also 50 minutes. 4 miles.
Take going from USC Health to Ktown (LA), two places also accessible via public transportation - roughly 40 minutes, driving 45 minutes. 8 miles.

Another more salient compariso:

USC Health to Santa Monica is 55 minutes driving. 20 miles.
Dana Farber to Marblehead is 2 hours driving. 20 miles.

etc etc
Listen - you can cherry pick and I can too. Last month it took me 25 minutes to go two miles during peak rush hour from one section of one LA suburb (Pasadena) to another.

USC to Santa Monica can take much longer than 55 min. And Marblehead to Dana can be much less than 2 hours. Again you’re cherry-picking. LA region has much worse traffic at 5:30 AM on a weekday and 5:30 PM on a Sunday than anywhere in Greater Boston.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:28 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Always fun and amazing when a 30min drive turns into a 1hr15min ordeal.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:13 AM

57 posts, read 43,340 times
Quote:
Listen - you can cherry pick and I can too. Last month it took me 25 minutes to go two miles during peak rush hour from one section of one LA suburb (Pasadena) to another.

USC to Santa Monica can take much longer than 55 min. And Marblehead to Dana can be much less than 2 hours. Again you’re cherry-picking. LA region has much worse traffic at 5:30 AM on a weekday and 5:30 PM on a Sunday than anywhere in Greater Boston.
I'm curious why you think the analysis in the OP is incorrect and your own cherry picked data to be correct? Not to mention the OP does agree that LA has the most congested roads, in any case.From my experience, if you're going from two spots in Boston proper that it takes longer than two spots in LA proper during rush hour.

Last edited by bitesize; 03-10-2020 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-10-2020, 05:20 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,125,893 times
It seems these lists come out several times a year, and in more cities than ours. It's just headline, click bait. I'm sure people in Atlanta have read the same thing this year already too.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:23 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,322,517 times
Quote:
The rankings are apples and oranges IMO.

LA is slow and congested, but man if they aren't easy to maneuver through with all the space they leave between cars. Slow but there's some semblance of order and it's a very small minority who shirk the rules to get home sooner. LA's congestion is also mostly on the freeways.

In Boston, if I give the car in front of me more than 3 inches, someone will cut in from the shoulder. The rule shirkers are the rule, not the exception here. If you don't drive offensively, someone else will exploit you for it. Boston (and NY) also has a much worse surface street congestion problem. Often half the commute time here is just getting ON the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston