Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 06:58 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If somebody is basing a vacation around Jamaican food, I just assume they would go to NYC or Miami. Both are closer to anybody not residing in New England.
I'm not saying it would be vacation but there's a sizable and historical Jamaican population in Springfield. Personally I prefer Indian curry vs Jamaican. There's about 12 or so restaurants. Jamaicans came over due to the labor shortage during ww 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 07:09 AM

23,598 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Yeah they are.

Latin Americans

Not how I read or ever understood it. Portugal is not considered a Latin American country, nor is Spain, Italy or France (they are in Europe). Somebody who directly descended from Portugal would therefore be considered white, not of Latin American descent. If they are Brazilian they technically would, although some might debate that as well and use it interchangeably with "Hispanic" (of the Spanish speaking countries in the Americas).

"Latin America (Spanish: América Latina or Latinoamérica; Portuguese: América Latina; French: Amérique latine) is t
he region of the Americas where Romance languages (i.e., those derived from Latin)—particularly Spanish and Portuguese, as well as French—are primarily spoken.[SIZE=2][23][/SIZE][SIZE=2][24][/SIZE]
It includes more than 20 countries or territories: Mexico in North America; Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama in Central America; Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, French Guiana, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay in South America; and Cuba, Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico in the Caribbean—in summary, Hispanic America, plus Brazil, Haiti and French Guiana. Canada and the United States, despite having a sizeable Romance-speaking communities, are almost never included in the definition, primarily for being predominantly English-speaking Anglosphere countries.
Latin America, therefore, can be defined as all those parts of the Americas that were once part of the Spanish, Portuguese or French colonial empires,[SIZE=2][25][/SIZE] namely New Spain, Colonial Brazil and New France. "

2,279 posts, read 1,344,596 times
Quote:
Yeah they are.

Latin Americans
Did you check your link? Portugal is clearly not highlighted.
How can a Portuguese be Latin-AMERICAN when Portugal is not in America?

5,117 posts, read 2,677,969 times
Quote:
Yeah they are.

Latin Americans

No they are not. Do you see Portugal in the list of Latin American countries? No, you don't. Wanna know why? Because Portugal is not in Latin America, it's in Europe.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:12 AM

23,598 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm not saying it would be vacation but there's a sizable and historical Jamaican population in Springfield. Personally I prefer Indian curry vs Jamaican. There's about 12 or so restaurants. Jamaicans came over due to the labor shortage during ww 2
Honestly the best jerk chicken I've had is between Worcester (a place that unfortunately closed) and Providence (believe that one is still open). Boston seems to do Trini better. Never tried any of the Springfield places.

5,117 posts, read 2,677,969 times
Quote:
Not how I read or ever understood it. Portugal is not considered a Latin American country, nor is Spain, Italy or France (they are in Europe). Somebody who directly descended from Portugal would therefore be considered white, not of Latin American descent. If they are Brazilian they technically would, although some might debate that as well and use it interchangeably with "Hispanic" (of the Spanish speaking countries in the Americas).

"Latin America (Spanish: América Latina or Latinoamérica; Portuguese: América Latina; French: Amérique latine) is t
he region of the Americas where Romance languages (i.e., those derived from Latin)—particularly Spanish and Portuguese, as well as French—are primarily spoken.[SIZE=2][23][/SIZE][SIZE=2][24][/SIZE]
It includes more than 20 countries or territories: Mexico in North America; Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama in Central America; Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, French Guiana, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay in South America; and Cuba, Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico in the Caribbean—in summary, Hispanic America, plus Brazil, Haiti and French Guiana. Canada and the United States, despite having a sizeable Romance-speaking communities, are almost never included in the definition, primarily for being predominantly English-speaking Anglosphere countries.
Latin America, therefore, can be defined as all those parts of the Americas that were once part of the Spanish, Portuguese or French colonial empires,[SIZE=2][25][/SIZE] namely New Spain, Colonial Brazil and New France. "

Yes, the references here refer to Latin Americans and their respective languages of their former colonizers, hence references to Spanish, Portuguese, and French. The Latin Americans adopted the languages of their colonizers. This doesn't mean Portugal is a Latin American country, it just means that certain Latin Americans speak Portuguese. The fact that a Brazilian speaks Portuguese does not amount to Portuguese being Latin Americans.

2,279 posts, read 1,344,596 times
Quote:
Not how I read or ever understood it. Portugal is not considered a Latin American country (they are in Europe), nor is Spain, Italy or France. Somebody who directly descended from Portugal would therefore be considered white, not of Latin American descent. If they are Brazilian they technically would, although some might debate that as well and use it interchangeably with "Hispanic" (of the Spanish speaking countries in the Americas).
Hispanic also includes the Spaniards.
The whole definition is BS. It was created just to single out Mexicans, everyone else was caught in crossfire.

The 2010 Census question on Hispanic origin included five separate response categories and one area where respondents could write in a specific Hispanic origin group. The first response category was intended for respondents who do not identify as Hispanic. The remaining response categories (“Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano”; “Puerto Rican”; “Cuban”; and “another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin”) and write-in answers can be combined to create the OMB category of Hispanic.
https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...gin/about.html

Old 04-07-2021, 07:37 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yes, the references here refer to Latin Americans and their respective languages of their former colonizers, hence references to Spanish, Portuguese, and French. The Latin Americans adopted the languages of their colonizers. This doesn't mean Portugal is a Latin American country, it just means that certain Latin Americans speak Portuguese. The fact that a Brazilian speaks Portuguese does not amount to Portuguese being Latin Americans.
Ironically I was speaking to a few from Portugal and then one from Mozambique last night. Both cases were pretty white. The guy from Mozambique feels some sort of white guilt as ISIS is taking over the northern part of the country. I don't think either group of people would consider themselves Latin American. Latin maybe but not Latin American.

This is where this gets complicated. Commonality of language does not specifically mean you are one with them. Ireland would have a fit over this because it's mostly English speaking. There's always going to be a colonial influence. You can find those in Lebanon and Vietnam that speak french. I was in in Hong Kong in '08 and plenty still speak English. Language laws by themselves vary Quebec allows English for advertising but it must be 2x the size in French.

Hispanic is kinda a broad term that is only for those that speak Spanish. Latino includes Portuguese. I might have said it before but I had a class with a Brazilian woman who would bite your head off if you called her hispanic.

Technically the people of north, central and south America ARE Americans, it just isn't the United States. We often apply the term Americans to mean just the USA but that makes little sense. That would be like Germany saying they are the EU and nothing else.

If we make a broader argument to include French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian as romance language then this gets interesting. Can someone from French Guiana or Quebec call themselves Latino or not? I started a odd conversation on a different board of if Haitians are considered Latino. Technically yes but many hate the DR with a passion. I've met people from Somalia and Ethiopia that have some pretty strong Italian names. Would that be latino as well? The difference here is they rejected a fair amount of the language so the influence might still be there but it is not officially their language.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCow...GXivULgbtYgQGw
This channel does a good job in looking at the differences between latin languages.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:44 AM

17,760 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
Somebody who directly descended from Portugal would therefore be considered white, not of Latin American descent.
Portuguese people are white and Latino. Again, they are not Hispanic.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:46 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
true, but just as silly is the millions of people who go to New York to eat at TGI Fridays in Times square. Some people like different things.
This is also true. There are plenty of people out there who aren't adventurous with food and aren't all that interested in it. Also lots of health conscience people who just want a salad even when they are on vacation. I can't imagine...but those people do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston