Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 07:37 AM

27 posts, read 26,711 times

Advertisements

Boston recently expanded its paid leave policy for city employees to include abortion -- for both men and women.

So that means if a guy knocks a woman up and she has an abortion, he can get several weeks off of paid leave

https://newbostonpost.com/2021/11/15...including-men/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 07:43 AM

16,305 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Wow...that's interesting. That really makes no sense that the man should get 12 weeks off because a woman he impregnated had an abortion. I know people who had an abortion at their lunch break and went back to work.

This is the world we live in today...I think people who actually have a baby would probably appreciate more time off.

I mean there is FMLA that people can use when they want to right? why the need for this 12 geared towards an abortion?

Old 11-19-2021, 08:06 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Boys win again !

Old 11-19-2021, 08:35 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
Now, I have nothing against abortion and always have a good laugh when bible-thumpers are screeching about beating hearts and whatnot, but a 12 week vacation paid by taxpayers is beyond ridiculous. It takes a lot less time than that to recover from a major surgery, why the heck would having a blob of cells vacuumed out of you put you of of work for four months?

Old 11-19-2021, 10:10 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
If you are trying to conceive and lose a baby at 3-4 months it can be pretty emotionally draining, I can see some time off being beneficial...or maybe it's better to get back to work in the usual routine. But it's nice to have the option.

I don't know the specifics of the ordinance but I don't see why anyone should get 12 weeks off if they decide to have an abortion because they don't feel ready to have a baby, especially a man...and even more especially when 12 weeks is the same you get for delivery. Having a voluntary abortion is NOT the same as having a baby in term of the time and resources you need to spend after the fact.

Frankly I could even see some sicko trying to take advantage of this to get time off...

Old 11-19-2021, 11:09 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
I wouldn't be too surprised if some whackadoo judge rules taking morning after pill is equivalent to an abortion and therefore qualifies for a 12 week taxpayer-sponsored vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
If you are trying to conceive and lose a baby at 3-4 months it can be pretty emotionally draining, I can see some time off being beneficial...or maybe it's better to get back to work in the usual routine. But it's nice to have the option.

I don't know the specifics of the ordinance but I don't see why anyone should get 12 weeks off if they decide to have an abortion because they don't feel ready to have a baby, especially a man...and even more especially when 12 weeks is the same you get for delivery. Having a voluntary abortion is NOT the same as having a baby in term of the time and resources you need to spend after the fact.

Frankly I could even see some sicko trying to take advantage of this to get time off...

Old 11-19-2021, 12:31 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post

Losing a baby due to a miscarriage is a bit different than getting an abortion around 6-8 weeks. I'm not saying having an abortion isnt mentally or emotionally troubling...but people make choices in life too. I am not sure it's something that should suddenly be entitled to 12 weeks of paid leave. And again if someone does want to take 12 weeks of paid leave there is FMLA

Why does abortion get its own distinction in terms of leave?

Old 11-19-2021, 12:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Losing a baby due to a miscarriage is a bit different than getting an abortion around 6-8 weeks. I'm not saying having an abortion isnt mentally or emotionally troubling...but people make choices in life too. I am not sure it's something that should suddenly be entitled to 12 weeks of paid leave. And again if someone does want to take 12 weeks of paid leave there is FMLA

Since when is FMLA leave paid?

Old 11-19-2021, 01:04 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

It doesn't. The ordinance states "Parents or would be parents may experience a loss of pregnancy that is not a still birth including a miscarriage or termination."

Many pregnancies are terminated for reasons other than convenience. The health of the child or woman are often reasons for doing so. One can argue whether it deserves 12 weeks off but it is a medical procedure and grieving may be involved.

Here is a link to the ordinance: https://www.boston.gov/sites/default...%20%230481.pdf

Note - pay is in full for only 4 weeks and decreases over the 12 week term.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:53 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Since when is FMLA leave paid?
I thought it was...

I also agree that abortions happen for many different reasons, sometimes beyond the control of the parents. I think an ectopic pregnancy basically has to be aborted even though there's no way to continue the pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: