Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2022, 10:17 AM

4,668 posts, read 4,980,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
That's encouraging. However, that reinforces my opinion that these measures in Boston & Brookline are unjust and ineffective. I'm concerned about when the measures will be lifted.
This is just a guess, but I think it will be sometime around Biden's State of the Union address on March 1st. The primary purpose of the vaccine passports in U.S. cities, IMO, is to "rally the troops" in heavily Democratic-voting areas and make constituents think that the Democrats "defeated Covid" (by contrast, people in Republican or even mildly Democratic-voting areas see the majority of the people around them living normal life, and most of them grasp the absurdity of restrictions like this -- this stuff only flies in locales that are lockstep Democratic at this point, such as Boston, San Francisco, and Minneapolis).

The fact that vaccine passports are useless except as a political tool -- that fact is going to become more blatantly obvious, even to hardcore Democrats, if the passports are left in place for too long. I think Democrats are doing their best to coordinate everything so they can "put a bow on the pandemic," making their case for the midterms in the fall.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:53 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It's a shame you felt the need to respond this way. I literally said "anything is possible," but you felt compelled to lie, and so you said I claimed it's impossible for long Covid effects to exist in kids. Then I called you out on the lie and get this unwarranted sarcasm in response. Be better.

We'll indeed know more later about long Covid. I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that we'll know it's a nothingburger, at least in children. As I said, it sounds like science fiction for there to be a pathogen that causes significant "stress on vital organs and systems in developing children" down the road, yet somehow doesn't make them very sick when they catch it.
My response is sarcastic because rather than dealing with real information, plenty of which is available, you choose to lean into nutty conspiracies because of your "intuition." And instead of acknowledging the fact that you're outright dismissive of something which is far closer to "possible" than "science fiction" (your words) while simultaneously spouting the conspiracy craziness, you'd rather split hairs over semantics. Most likely because there's no better approach for someone who can't think outside of their own loony narrative. Be better.

The pathogen is causing significant stress on vital organs right now. That's real, it's currently happening and we know this. There's nothing "science fiction" about that. The question is how does this impact kids over the course of years. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that there may be some long term effects from that kind of strain on a developing child's body. This is the case with many acute childhood illnesses. Whether it amounts to anything or not is still certainly up in the air. But it's neither science fiction, nor is it worth dismissing because of some crazy notion that shadowy characters are conspiring to take our freedoms.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:56 AM

4,668 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My response is sarcastic because rather than dealing with real information, plenty of which is available, you choose to lean into nutty conspiracies because of your "intuition." And instead of acknowledge the fact that you're outright dismissive of something which is far closer to "possible" than "science fiction" (your words) while simultaneously spouting the conspiracy craziness, you'd rather split hairs over semantics. Most likely because there's no better approach for someone who can't think outside of their own loony narrative. Be better.

The pathogen is causing significant stress on vital organs right now. That's real, it's currently happening and we know this. There's nothing "science fiction" about that. The question is how does this impact kids over the course of years. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that they're may be some long term effects of that kind of strain on a developing child's body. Whether it amounts to anything or not is still certainly up in the air. But it's neither science fiction, nor is it worth dismissing because of some crazy notion that shadowy characters are conspiring to take our freedoms.
Keep saying that I "can't think outside of my loony narrative," I don't care. This discussion is over. It's a free country, you can believe, or pretend to believe, that a cold virus with a 99.998% survival rate in children is somehow going to make them sick years from now in significant numbers -- I'm not going to stop you. We'll see who ends up being right about long-term effects of Covid in kids, about end dates for the vaccine passports, etc. Enjoy your day.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Keep saying that I "can't think outside of my loony narrative," I don't care. This discussion is over. It's a free country, you can believe, or pretend to believe, that a cold virus with a 99.998% survival rate in children is somehow going to make them sick years from now in significant numbers -- I'm not going to stop you. We'll see who ends up being right about long-term effects of Covid in kids, about end dates for the vaccine passports, etc. Enjoy your day.
The only thing I believe is that there's enough information to warrant looking into the long term impact of COVID on children. That belief is based on the very real information that we already have, not my "intuition" or some other dark/sinister hunch. The only one claiming with any degree of certainty that there either will or won't likely be long term effects is you. My intuition tells me that it's best to let the studies happen and the research conclude before deciding whether there will or won't be a long-term impact on a significant number of children.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
However, that reinforces my opinion that these measures in Boston & Brookline are unjust and ineffective.
Something tells me that anything would be enough to reinforce your opinion.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:57 AM

325 posts, read 925,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My intuition tells me that it's best to let the studies happen and the research conclude before deciding whether there will or won't be a long-term impact on a significant number of children.
And let the long term studies and research on the new technology VACCINES happen before we willy-nilly inject our kids with this stuff.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:10 PM

337 posts, read 268,680 times
Quote:
This is just a guess, but I think it will be sometime around Biden's State of the Union address on March 1st. The primary purpose of the vaccine passports in U.S. cities, IMO, is to "rally the troops" in heavily Democratic-voting areas and make constituents think that the Democrats "defeated Covid" (by contrast, people in Republican or even mildly Democratic-voting areas see the majority of the people around them living normal life, and most of them grasp the absurdity of restrictions like this -- this stuff only flies in locales that are lockstep Democratic at this point, such as Boston, San Francisco, and Minneapolis).

The fact that vaccine passports are useless except as a political tool -- that fact is going to become more blatantly obvious, even to hardcore Democrats, if the passports are left in place for too long. I think Democrats are doing their best to coordinate everything so they can "put a bow on the pandemic," making their case for the midterms in the fall.
Hmm, interesting thought. I really hope it ends around springtime, but I'm a bit concerned that they have deadlines stretching into May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Something tells me that anything would be enough to reinforce your opinion.
Unwarranted.

Currently I'm going through some real-life pain concerning loved ones struggling with mental health and substance abuse, whose issues are being exacerbated by the pain of being barred from several sectors of society. It didn't need to happen, and it's happening for what? How is it really helping? I'm sure many think these people deserve it for being unvaccinated, and that's a huge part of the problem.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:26 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
It didn't need to happen, and it's happening for what? How is it really helping?
It should have happened months ago state-wide.

BTW, how is the vaccine passport negatively affecting your life?

Old 01-21-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
And let the long term studies and research on the new technology VACCINES happen before we willy-nilly inject our kids with this stuff.
Thankfully, mrna vaccines (and the use of mrna in treatment in humans) have been studied for decades, so we have a pretty good long view of how they work and how they impact people. It's a good deal less of a mystery than the long term impacts of a virus we hadn't heard of two years ago.

The bigger question in my opinion is whether or not these vaccines are effective in a way that warrants mandates like the one in Boston. I personally don't think they are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm vaxxed/boosted. It's also very clear that they significantly reduce serious infection and hospitalization. But this variant is extremely transmissible and the vaccine does not appear to hamper transmission to the point where it can have a significant impact on spread. The real benefit would be some reduction in the pressure on hospitals (especially ICUs), but I'm not convinced that going from 85% fully vaccinated to 100% would have had a drastic impact on hospitalization numbers during this latest surge. In fact, I'm certain that we would never hit that threshold between exemptions and the remainder of the holdouts who would be willing to lose their jobs on principle. I also think that the mandates place a heavy burden on the businesses and organizations that have to enforce them, and realistically, many won't (I see that here in Boston right now). So through a practical lens, I don't think they were ever going to be significantly successful and I think the cost (alienating businesses and individuals) is greater than any perceived benefit.

Last edited by lrfox; 01-21-2022 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-21-2022, 12:32 PM

337 posts, read 268,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
It should have happened months ago state-wide.

BTW, how is the vaccine passport negatively affecting your life?
I literally wrote it all around the part that you quoted:

Quote:
Currently I'm going through some real-life pain concerning loved ones struggling with mental health and substance abuse, whose issues are being exacerbated by the pain of being barred from several sectors of society. It didn't need to happen, and it's happening for what? How is it really helping? I'm sure many think these people deserve it for being unvaccinated, and that's a huge part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston