Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 07:30 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,476,279 times

Advertisements

So I'm sure a lot of you are tired of hearing the stereotype of Bostonians being rude and unfriendly and honestly, that by itself doesn't bother me. The bottom line is, I'm not afraid of people like this, I'm more afraid of being assaulted or involuntarily involved in physical altercations as a result of the unfriendly interaction.

How big of a risk is the average person at for being involved in a fight here, assuming he/she never was looking for trouble to begin with, compared to other places in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 07:46 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
If anything I would say the opposite. People these in Boston these days go so far out of their way to avoid any interaction with other humans, that I say this naturally results in fewer random physical confrontations. My experience with southern states (TN, GA and FL to be specific), is that the more outgoing nature of the people results in more opportunities for fights and stuff. Violent crime in those states is off the charts compared to here. There's also the class/wealth thing. Boston has become a city of rich folk and some tucked away ghettos that nobody has a reason to go to unless you live there.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:33 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Yeah I agree that the city is much less outwardly hostile than it once was, to the point of avoidance of confrontation or aggressiveness. The culture has changed, although suppressed emotions usually means there is a lot of underlying hostility or resentment with people. That's another topic.

But, as is usually the case wherever you are, your particular chances of getting into a fight are largely dependent on your own behavior and reactions to people and/or situations. The thing to keep in mind is that what people consider to be good mannered or rude in the South isn't always what people here consider the situation to be. Accept the differences and roll with them and you'll be more peaceful in the long run.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:52 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
There are a lot of college students here that like to prove their rank. A lot of times they run in to some not so academic types.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:54 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
How big of a risk is the average person at for being involved in a fight here, assuming he/she never was looking for trouble to begin with, compared to other places in the US?
The risk is very low. I’d just avoid Stuart Street at 2:15am on a Saturday. And even that mess might have been reduced a bit due to clubs remaining closed/restricted due to the pandemic.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:14 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
A truly unprovoked physical altercation is a rarity here. Someone being attacked while minding their own business happens in Boston just as it does in any urban area, but it's still uncommon enough that when it happens, it often makes the news. And apart from the very rare full-on random attack, most other physical altercations are pretty easily avoidable. Avoid the roughest night clubs, and don't start pushing back when the "tough guy" at the crowded bar takes your accidentally bumping into him as a personal affront. He may think he's asserting his "dominance," but he most likely looks like an idiot to everyone else around too. Still, even that doesn't happen too often in most places, and there's nothing wrong with just ignoring that and walking away. It usually takes two for it to turn something like that into an actual physical altercation, so it's not hard to avoid. Especially if you just avoid the places where these things happen more frequently (which also isn't hard to do).

I can't say for sure how Boston compares to other places. Anecdotally, I've seen FAR more fights in bars and on the streets in places like Nashville, Vegas, Miami, Austin, etc. even though I've spent a good deal less time in any of those places than Boston. In my 20s, we'd do go to bars and clubs in both Providence and Boston pretty regularly. They were the same types of places, but Providence had a reputation for being much rougher and that reflected my experience (though I still never got in a fight - just the classic bumping and posturing by the meat heads). I'm in my mid-30s and definitely not going to the same places now, so things have certainly changed since then. But if anything, it seems as if Boston is even less rowdy now than it was then.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:04 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
So I'm sure a lot of you are tired of hearing the stereotype of Bostonians being rude and unfriendly and honestly, that by itself doesn't bother me. The bottom line is, I'm not afraid of people like this, I'm more afraid of being assaulted or involuntarily involved in physical altercations as a result of the unfriendly interaction.

My experience has been less physical violence than I've seen in some other parts of the US, but more verbal confrontation (which it sounds like you're ok with). Cut in a line, not stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, or do some some other act of inattentive or selfish rudeness and the chances someone will say something about it is higher here. Words are exchanged but it rarely escalates further.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:15 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
I was in detroit for all of two hours last summer and saw two fights. So, no. One time in Boston I saw a dude aggressively shove another guy out of a crowded red line train. That was it in the 7 years I lived there.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:52 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
My experience has been less physical violence than I've seen in some other parts of the US, but more verbal confrontation (which it sounds like you're ok with). Cut in a line, not stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, or do some some other act of inattentive or selfish rudeness and the chances someone will say something about it is higher here. Words are exchanged but it rarely escalates further.
This is my experience too. New York has long had a reputation for this, but I think Boston is worse. The only other U.S. city I've witnessed similar degrees verbal confrontation is San Francisco.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:49 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I mean if someone doesn’t stop for someone when theyre in a cross walk or cuts someone in any line don’t you think the perpetrator has it coming ? That’s just rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston