Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 06:47 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Well yes, poors were showing up for handouts and nearly free housing while everybody else was leaving, and needless to say there was plenty of empty, nearly free housing given the initial huge population decline and nearly zero demand by anyone even remotely affluent. Once again, the only reason rent control “worked” at the time was because market rents at the time were way below what politburo had mandated. That’s the only time it “works” in a sense that it doesn’t make things worse - when it does absolutely nothing and is an empty gesture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Your assertions that rent control worked. Whatever "worked" means. I never referenced the "crime aspect." I was here then and don't need references from someone who wasn't. lol
I didn’t say that WW, did.

And it worked in terms of the city was more affordable- that is what we want, no? What am I missing here, we do want more people to be able to afford Boston right? Or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 06:48 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Prove it, for our friend Boston Gym Junkie.
Prove what, that water is wet?

Quote:

And it worked in terms of the city was more affordable- that is what we want, no? What am I missing here, we do want more people to be able to afford Boston right? Or no?
So it’s been rumored a 1980 rusted out Yugo is a lot more affordable than a 2022 Bentley…

Old 12-12-2022, 06:52 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:

WW said rent control worked? No, you did.

The city was more affordable? Than what? The US economy was in a shambles and many people didn't have jobs. You think anything was affordable to those people?

You come here and make a random assertion that rent control was implemented in the 70's and that rent control subsequently caused an increase of 1K young suburban people per year to leave the burbs and live and work in the city? But of course the same rent control didn't cause the downturn from 88-92 right? This is what you're hanging your intellectual hat on? LMAO

Old 12-13-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I told you why I referenced 1960. I don't have to frame my posts according to what suits you. The city gained a small percentage of yuppies during the first half of the decade but suffered a downturn between 1988-1992. LMAO
proof?

You are making up an argument that I never made so I didnt quote that part

but, yea..proof?

Old 12-13-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
WW said rent control worked? No, you did.

The city was more affordable? Than what? The US economy was in a shambles and many people didn't have jobs. You think anything was affordable to those people?

You come here and make a random assertion that rent control was implemented in the 70's and that rent control subsequently caused an increase of 1K young suburban people per year to leave the burbs and live and work in the city? But of course the same rent control didn't cause the downturn from 88-92 right? This is what you're hanging your intellectual hat on? LMAO
The US economy was in shambles in the 1980s?? Not true.

Also please quote me on the bolded. An provide proof of the downturn in 1988-92? Economic yea, maybe beginning in early 1990. But population? Prove that.

Lastly, there is no proof the rent control cause any economic downturn either...

Old 12-13-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The US economy was in shambles in the 1980s?? Not true.

Also please quote me on the bolded. An provide proof of the downturn in 1988-92? Economic yea, maybe beginning in early 1990. But population? Prove that.

Lastly, there is no proof the rent control cause any economic downturn either...
When you post your sources establishing that rent control boosted the Boston economy, I will look for sources that support what I already know....because I lived it. And if you are really refuting that the US economy wasn't in shambles in the 1980's you need to do some actual reading. It was in a deep recession then leveled off from 83 to 87 followed by a stock market crash and another recession between 88-92. Unemployment was 7-8 percent and the trade deficits hit record numbers. Ronald Reagan was President. I never said population was in a downturn but it wasn't increasing significantly. Also, about 8000 babies were born in Boston during the 80s.

You're grasping at straws with your rent control fantasy and your unfounded theory goes against not only common sense but actual studies.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-13-2022 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-13-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
When you post your sources establishing that rent control boosted the Boston economy, I will look for sources that support what I already know....because I lived it. And if you are really refuting that the US economy wasn't in shambles in the 1980's you need to do some actual reading. It was in a deep recession then leveled off from 83 to 87 followed by a stock market crash and another recession between 88-92. Unemployment was 7-8 percent and the trade deficits hit record numbers. Ronald Reagan was President. I never said population was in a downturn but it wasn't increasing significantly. Also, about 8000 babies were born in Boston during the 80s.
Just waiting to be told where and how I sai the bolded and then we can move along. Because right now? youre DEEP in your make **** up bag.

The US economy being in shambles by 1988 sounds premature, I do know of an early 1990s recession though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

https://www.netsuite.com/portal/reso...-history.shtml

https://www.history.com/news/us-econ...sions-timeline

The FRED doesnt have it either: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/JHDUSRGDPBR

No evidence- anywhere of a 1988 recession. Gee- youd think if the US Economy were in "shambles" somewhere other than BostonGymJunkie wouldve made note. Maybe You fell on hard times? Please be accurate when you post though.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-13-2022 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-13-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Just waiting to be told where and how I sai the bolded and then we can move along. Because right now? youre DEEP in your make **** up bag.

The US economy being in shambles by 1988 sounds premature, I do know of an early 1990s recession though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

https://www.netsuite.com/portal/reso...-history.shtml

https://www.history.com/news/us-econ...sions-timeline

The FRED doesnt have it either: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/JHDUSRGDPBR

No evidence- anywhere of a 1988 recession. Maybe You fell on hard times? Please be accurate when you post though.
You're disputing the stock market crash of 87? 8% unemployment? Trade deficits?

The Fed rate hikes in 1988 increased inflation. Devil is always in the details. You never have details only soundbites from your phone. LMAO

Nice try at diversion, but your rent control theory is still just something you made up and are trying to pass off as fact. You don't know the details becaue they are hard to find in Google searches.....especially when you have no idea what you're looking for. Again, do you have any evidence to support your made-up tale that rent control in the 1970's caused an insignificant 2 percent blip in Boston's population several years later? The answer is, no, you don't.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
You're disputing the stock market crash of 87? 8% unemployment? Trade deficits?

The Fed rate hikes in 1988 increased inflation.
Devil is always in the details. You never have details only soundbites from your phone. LMAO

Nice try at diversion, but your rent control theory is still just something you made up and are trying to pass off as fact. You don't know the details becaue they are hard to find in Google searches.....especially when you have no idea what you're looking for. Again, do you have any evidence to support your made-up tale that rent control in the 1970's caused an insignificant 2 percent blip in Boston's population several years later? The answer is, no, you don't.
Sir...

you said the US was in recession and the economy was in shambles. Now its about Rate hikes ... Stop moving the goalpost. Its pathetic. You were wrong- embrace it, bathe in it. Were -done with that because there is nothing left to say there.

Still waiting on the evidence of where I said Rent Control helped the Boston economy. If you can do that then we can talk about the 1970s and 2 percent blip blah bla blah.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Sir...

you said the US was in recession and the economy was in shambles. Now its about Rate hikes ... Stop moving the goalpost. Its pathetic. You were wrong- embrace it, bathe in it. Were -done with that because there is nothing left to say there.

Still waiting on the evidence of where I said Rent Control helped the Boston economy. If you can do that then we can talk about the 1970s and 2 percent blip blah bla blah.
Actually I said downturn from 88-92, and it began in 88. And if you're not here arguing that rent control in the 70's has some connection to the population conditions you cite in your post, what is your argument because that seems to be the goalpost that keeps changing.

Are you disputing the following historical facts:

early 80's recession
87 stock market crash
federal trade deficits
S&L crisis
8 percent unemployment
Fed raising rates in 88 resulting in recession

Is your argument that the economy was booming during the 80's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston