Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 07:31 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
lol oh great... get ready for 6k rents in the seaport for a neighborhood that has arguably about the same amount of amenities as a suburb of a sunbelt city until 2035.
whats this in response too, the 15-year exemption?

Seaport rents are already over 6k- thats not anything new.

The whole point of this is to prevent price gouging and major displacement. Not to make the seaport more affordable for yuppies.

Exempting new buildings was something I've said a bunch of times. ou won't gets Rent Stabilization without that. I'm surprised any new buildings will eve be eligible.

As I understand it Rent stabilization wereto pass in 2024. All buildings from 2009 to 2039 would be exempt until 2039. With buildings built in 2039 becoming exempt in 2054.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 02:48 PM

We always hera poeple beomoan rent otrol.. and how its failed in everywehre else.

Excpet Everywhethere rent control save for San Francisco I can find cheaper apartments in the city than in Boston- even if slary ceilings are higher and median incomes are higher...

And theres more development.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/02/...ter-out-there/

Then there’s Hannah Casey, a 26-year-old who has already left for a city that — for her anyway — is more affordable: New York.

She still works for a Boston-based company, the marketing firm Mavrck, but moved to Brooklyn in 2020 after the company let workers go remote. Pre-pandemic, Casey endured a “demoralizing” slog of a commute by bus and train from Roslindale to the Financial District. Today, she works from home in a rent-controlled studio apartment in Brooklyn just steps from the Q train.

Any of those things — her own place, rent control, easy public transit access — had felt complete unattainable in Boston, she said. Sure, some things are more expensive in New York, but she’s no longer schlepping her groceries home in Ubers, or buying expensive concert tickets just for something to do. The thrills, she says, are just cheaper in New York

“Having the rent control and the apartment make me feel like a millionaire,” she said.

Casey misses having colleagues — one of her teammates lives just a few miles from her in Brooklyn, but they rarely interact (they first met in Boston at a company event). But she said that as a young gay woman, she feels like New York has the “infrastructure” for the ***** community and for artists in ways Boston didn’t.

“The one gay bar, Machine, closed for luxury condos,” she said, while her musician friends lost their recording space at the Sound Museum in Brighton. “All the stuff that was historically so cool and alternative, it’s turning into condos.”

Casey knows her decision to head south to New York isn’t novel. Twenty-somethings have long beat a path to the bigger city, she noted. And yet she struggles to imagine a life for herself in Massachusetts if she had stayed.

“I don’t know what it would look like if I lived in Boston,” she said as she looked at the subway sign just outside her window. “It’s kind of hard for me to picture it.”

If Rent Control really only benefits people who already have apartments how did this 26-year-old from in Boston get one?

soo soo many questions the "rent control didnt work in 1986" crowd simpyl refuses to adress.

Old 02-18-2023, 02:57 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
She probably has rent stabilization, not rent control. Big difference. People sublet rent stabilized apartments, pass them down through generations, never let them go. She might be subletting an existing apartment under stabilization. She calls it rent control because she's coming from Boston.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
She probably has rent stabilization, not rent control. Big difference. People sublet rent stabilized apartments, pass them down through generations, never let them go. She might be subletting an existing apartment under stabilization. She calls it rent control because she's coming from Boston.
Another non answer.

You don’t know that. She said Rent Control.

But let’s say she does have Rent Stabilized apartment- because it’s more likely.

Why is it I can find so many cheaper apartments in NYC than Boston- in every borough?

Why is it NYC is able to add 630,000 people in 10 year as they did from 2010-2020 if developers won’t want to build there because of rent control. We are told that’s impossible yet NYC build at a greater cop than RC/RS free Boston. No one wants to talk about it.

Same with DC, if we only had RC on apartment from 1975 or earlier like DC would developers still hesitate to build? If you let some people tell it then yes. But IRL DC has an oversupply of apartments because they build so much.

Just saying- non of the ‘geniuses’ want to directly answer this.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:02 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Your arguments in support of rent control fly in the face of numerous studies establishing their overall ineffectiveness. But you insist on implying YOU, in your infinite wisdom, are a genius and everybody else is just dumb. You do this through the use of logic fallacies which are too numerous to itemize. All founded on nothing but anecdote, false comparisons, and false premise. The basic answer to your question is:

1) SUPPLY - NYC has a ton more housing than Boston. (Econ 101)

2) NYC does not implement rent control any longer (guess why?). Only 1 percent of housing units built before something like 1946 (legacy provisions) are subject to rent control. About half the units in NYC (built before 74 with 6+ units) are rent stabilized. New construction isn't subject to it, although there are certain tax incentives to developers who opt-in. I will also add that NYC taxes are astronomical.

Recent 2019 legislation stiffened the current stabilization regulations. Time will tell what effect they have on the economy of NYC. https://www.city-journal.org/self-de...ent-regulation

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 02-18-2023 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-18-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Your arguments in support of rent control fly in the face of numerous studies establishing their overall ineffectiveness. But you insist on implying YOU, in your infinite wisdom, are a genius and everybody else is just dumb. You do this through the use of logic fallacies which are too numerous to itemize. All founded on nothing but anecdote, false comparisons, and false premise. The basic answer to your question is:

1) SUPPLY - NYC has a ton more housing than Boston. (Econ 101)

2) NYC does not implement rent control any longer (guess why?). Only 1 percent of housing units built before something like 1946 (legacy provisions) are subject to rent control. About half the units in NYC (built before 74 with 6+ units) are rent stabilized. New construction isn't subject to it, although there are certain tax incentives to developers who opt-in. I will also add that NYC taxes are astronomical.

Recent 2019 legislation stiffened the current stabilization regulations. Time will tell what effect they have on the economy of NYC. https://www.city-journal.org/self-de...ent-regulation
1) and a *ton* more people. What’s your point? If anything you’re just proving the point that you can meet demand and still have rent stabilization.

2) Nothing you’re saying is remotely new to me. Nor does it mean it can’t be implemented here.

I think you’ve done an excellent job in demonstrating exactly how if you get creative you can implement some forms of Rent Control (because rent stabilization is rent control) that allow you to meet demand, grow by hundred of thousands of people, and retain affordability at the bottom of the market. Bravo. Couldn’t have explained it better myself.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
1) and a *ton* more people. What’s your point? If anything you’re just proving the point that you can meet demand and still have rent stabilization.

2) Nothing you’re saying is remotely new to me. Nor does it mean it can’t be implemented here.

I think you’ve done an excellent job in demonstrating exactly how if you get creative you can implement some forms of Rent Control (because rent stabilization is rent control) that allow you to meet demand, grow by hundred of thousands of people, and retain affordability at the bottom of the market. Bravo. Couldn’t have explained it better myself.
I think you do an excellent job at creating false premises and straw men. Who says NYC is "meeting demand" at all income levels? Rent control isn't "creative" at all, it's been tried and re-tried in some cases and it fails. There's plenty of empirical evidence of this that you choose to simply ignore because you think you know better. If you fancy yourself "creative" then propose something that's actually creative and new. That would require evidence beyond warped anecdotal observations and logic fallacies. What you are proposing is a return to something that's already been done. It's called regression. Ir's not new, at all. It's old and according to you anything old is bad. But, in your usual form, that position only applies to people and ideas you disagree with.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/12/out-of...ght-emergency/

https://nypost.com/2023/01/06/how-ex...ousing-crisis/

Old 02-19-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I think you do an excellent job at creating false premises and straw men. Who says NYC is "meeting demand" at all income levels? Rent control isn't "creative" at all, it's been tried and re-tried in some cases and it fails. There's plenty of empirical evidence of this that you choose to simply ignore because you think you know better. If you fancy yourself "creative" then propose something that's actually creative and new. That would require evidence beyond warped anecdotal observations and logic fallacies. What you are proposing is a return to something that's already been done. It's called regression. Ir's not new, at all. It's old and according to you anything old is bad. But, in your usual form, that position only applies to people and ideas you disagree with.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/12/out-of...ght-emergency/

https://nypost.com/2023/01/06/how-ex...ousing-crisis/
NY Post. Known the world over for good, honest, non-biased, reporting. /s

The empirical evidence choosing to follow is right there on Trulia in real time. The people need rent control today.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NY Post. Known the world over for good, honest, non-biased, reporting. /s

The empirical evidence choosing to follow is right there on Trulia in real time. The people need rent control today.
Just more logic fallacies.
Feelings-based policy is all you have Mr. "I post more data than anybody." smh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 02-19-2023 at 02:03 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Just more logic fallacies.
Feelings-based policy is all you have Mr. "I post more data than anybody." smh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
All the data you need is right here

https://www.trulia.com/p/dc/washingt...03--2360386198

https://www.trulia.com/c/dc/washingt...20--1049556503

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/college-...56--2332990928

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/bronx/14...52--2008871976

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/11/10/...r-renters.html

But by all means keep saying Rent Control is the issue if it makes you feel warm. Continue to cite old studies and studies from far away locales. Beat the drum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston