Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 10:52 AM

21,808 posts, read 12,997,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post

So black developers will be building for black people only? In all parts of Boston?

For a person who is clearly upset about segregation and abuses in the past you seem to enjoy entertaining exactly same ideas.
Never said that never even implied that in a roundabout way.

Having no income tax is not the exact same idea as segregation, slavery, rape, firebombings or whippings. The level of unmitigated caucasity of that statement is another reason why the panel does not include white people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 10:54 AM

23,840 posts, read 19,008,205 times
Why are we talking about income taxes? This is the city of Boston involved.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I'm all for hearing what they have to say. I might also be in favor of remedial actions that created opportunities to address those impacted by certain social problems, not for awarding money to individuals simply because they happen to have dark skin, including many of whom have no lineage to slavery in America. I also don't think most reasonably motivated advocates for this are proposing that either. I think the "me me me" crowd holding out their hands, represent this movement's biggest liability. I don't think this approach will ever be taken seriously by most people. It should be about efforts to correct problems, not reward people who are far removed from the original issue or punishing people who had nothing to do with it.
I agree with you. No ones seriously expecting a cash payment- even if i think I should get one, I know that given the demographics of the country- it wont happen.

And as much as I think Haitians are owed some money they shouldn't be receiving US taxpayer money- that is something hat Haitians in Haiti showing up with France. You cannot move voluntarily to the US and start asking for money- no.

But for myself at least of my ancestor's time here in this country prior to m birth- was in Slavery. The first slaves in my family having arrived at least in the mid-1700s. Probably earlier on my father's side given what we know about his mother's lineage and the Baytop family (Thomas Baytop and his brother arrived in Virginia in the 1630s...).

Most of my mother's side was rice slaves in the Gullah Islands of South Carolina until my Great Great Grandfather moved to "the mainland" ~1890 to work on the Railroad in Florence, SC where my maternal grandmother was born. ( I have no idea in what capacity he worked).

I would appreciate student loan forgiveness, free genealogical testing, and an offer to pay for me to return to continental Africa if I so choose.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Why are we talking about income taxes? This is the city of Boston involved.
just in general. The discussion of reparations, but no property tax would be a sufficient measure, thos e n lieu of property could receive free college tuition at Umass Boston, or preferential BHA placement.

But the thing is we have to be open to having a real conversation about this rather than people saying "i wasn't here i don't wanna pay for it." That may be true but a lot of us are impacted by it in long-lasting ways. Not to mention it shows a general lack of concern and indifference to our plight. It's a big part of why we are not as successful as Black Immigrants. They are not coming with the same family baggage. The culture is different. We were forced to make a culture out of whatever white people allowed us to make a culture out of which was:

violence
anti-blackness
segregation
second class citizenship
and anti-education ethos

So its not surprising when you see black parents beating their children harshly and then those children go out and beat and shoot people. It's been handed down from white slaveowners whom we then had to live with and fear for another 100 years.

It's not surprising some people in the black community aren't pro-education when we were barred and discouraged and impeded from education for so long

It's not surprising we call each other the n-word and B*tch when that's what we have been called most of the time weve lived here.

it's not surprising we self-segregate when....

you get my point. I see the vestiges of it all to often.

No things like Affirmative Action (which was scaled back within its first decade btw) and other piecemeal programs that emphasize "diversity" have been positive but I think we know - white or black- well never be able to recoup what was lost in slavery. but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:11 AM

976 posts, read 565,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Never said that never even implied that in a roundabout way.

Having no income tax is not the exact same idea as segregation, slavery, rape, firebombings or whippings. The level of unmitigated caucasity of that statement is another reason why the panel does not include white people...

Then it is really not serious. You are are expecting something from everyone, but only black panelist will decide? Then I guess only they will be implementing this. Not from common resources.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Then it is really not serious. You are are expecting something from everyone, but only black panelist will decide? Then I guess only they will be implementing this. Not from common resources.
Mayor Wu is not black. 75% of the City Council is not black. The panel can say what they want it's going to need those people to stamp it. But the ask for what we should receive should not be coming from white people....

They might try to claim the Irish were slaves and black people would only sell land to black people (which has never been the case- if anything black people have always afforded white people the BOD, been overly accommodations, and offered whatever resources we have even when they did not deserve it. Thats what led to the fall of the Zulu nation and many more African kingdoms.

White folks, and people in general, should move beyond the idea of this zero-sum game. Other people have received reparations, and in some other societies/countries, former slaves and indigenous people are guaranteed a livable wage and housing. The world didn't end.

And wasnt a check cut to the Japanese by the US?

Old 02-08-2023, 11:32 AM

Ah, so this is just about asking what they want. Then it is fine. As long as decision will be made by all people who actually live in Boston.

I do not think we have any precedent laws about reparations. Especially international laws. I highly doubt that Bostonians will make decision to pay different wages based on race as this will not be any different than what happened during slavery and oppression. At that time it was towards one set of groups now it will be towards others. I can see asians supporting this (you mentioned Wu)!

Old 02-08-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Ah, so this is just about asking what they want. Then it is fine. As long as decision will be made by all people who actually live in Boston.

I do not think we have any precedent laws about reparations. Especially international laws. I highly doubt that Bostonians will make decision to pay different wages based on race as this will not be any different than what happened during slavery and oppression. At that time it was towards one set of groups now it will be towards others. I can see asians supporting this (you mentioned Wu)!
"Pay different wages"? yet another thing that was never said or implied.

Even that would be very different than slavery. You'd need a wage to be paid a different wage... And Aso the city wouldn't determine what wages white people can earn, let alone their kid's grandkids and great-grandkids. Its a 'free' market (that you all created)

Yea the people coming up with what we want should be black people. The approval group will be a multiracial group of people living in Boston.

I think politically there will eventually be some form of reparation. Boston- with its reputation cannot afford to get all the way to the recommendations point and then offer up a nothing burger. It would sink Wu's black support (and give it to someone else who will lie and say 'I woulda given yall $50,000 each!') and a good chunk of liberal and Latino support to.

And it would be a massive national embarrassment for the city. So there will be something, it just depends on whether is it going to be a total joke, or something of substance. And when and to who?

Old 02-08-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
"Pay different wages"? yet another thing that was never said or implied.
Does this imply that you expect change in wages/pay or was this in societies where former slaves or indigenous people were not paid accordingly to laws (minimum wage etc) ?

Quote:
Other people have received reparations, and in some other societies/countries, former slaves and indigenous people are guaranteed a livable wage and housing.
As for support of Wu... was she really elected on promise of reparations to particular race?
I was under impression that she wanted to improve schools, healthcare and such aspects, not to look in the past and paying reparation to individual people.

Also interesting part is if reparations are approved what happens if individual with slaved ancestors from another state/city moves to Boston? Will she/he be entitled to reparations too?

Old 02-08-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Does this imply that you expect change in wages/pay or was this in societies where former slaves or indigenous people were not payed accordingly to laws (minimum wage etc) ?

As for support of Wu... was she really elected on promise of reparations to particular race?
I was under impression that she wanted to improve schools, healthcare and such aspects, not to look in the past and paying reparation to individual people.

Also interesting part is if reparations are approved what happens if individual with slaved ancestors from another state/city moves to Boston? Will she/he be entitled to reparations too?
To your first point- I still don't know what you're talking about. I didn't mention wages, did someone else?

To your second point-She was elected on a platform of Freeing the T, affordability, climate resilience, and racial inclusion/equity.

Healthcare was not a part of her appeal. Schools really weren't either sadly. She promised to build new schools that's about it. I never heard mention of health whatsoever actually.

As for the third part- For my sake, I hope it can apply to any Foundational Black American/American Descendant of Slaves who were born in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston