Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 06:39 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times

Advertisements

Why are Boston’s tunnels and roadways kept in such disgusting and poor shape? The central artery and other tunnels are filthy with grime and look as if they are 50++ years old.

Forgetting about international cities for a second (Bostonians do fancy the city to be world class), I was traveling in the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel on the way to JFK the other day and was taken with how sparkling clean it was. The Mid Town tunnel as always in similar condition. Have some pride Mass DOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 10:15 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
This state is truly an embarrassment when it comes to the maintenance of its infrastructure. I always say that things like roadways and tunnels provide the best lens of how a state is managed. It's pretty scary when even Rhode Island is looking better than us these days. Whoever is to blame, I can tell you one thing...the Mass. voter will not take any responsibility whatsoever. Here come the excuses...

(here come the crickets)

Old 04-16-2022, 11:54 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
When I drove a taxi and Uber in the years before the pandemic, I'd occasionally have to go around trucks cleaning the tunnel walls with those rotating brushes on the side of the vehicle. So, believe it or not, they have been purchased and do exist.

Can't recall how often I'd see it, though. I was a night driver, so it was always or usually overnights when I saw it.

Maybe it was suspended in the pandemic or for budget reasons? Yes, the walls looked too dirty at times or all the time when I last drove regularly, even with whatever cleaning was ever done.

It would be a good story for the Herald to cover!

Old 04-17-2022, 05:52 AM

5,105 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
When I drove a taxi and Uber in the years before the pandemic, I'd occasionally have to go around trucks cleaning the tunnel walls with those rotating brushes on the side of the vehicle. So, believe it or not, they have been purchased and do exist.

Can't recall how often I'd see it, though. I was a night driver, so it was always or usually overnights when I saw it.

Maybe it was suspended in the pandemic or for budget reasons? Yes, the walls looked too dirty at times or all the time when I last drove regularly, even with whatever cleaning was ever done.

It would be a good story for the Herald to cover!
First they need to make sure the walls and ceilings stay up. After that, yeah, a good cleaning is in order.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:59 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
First they need to make sure the walls and ceilings stay up. After that, yeah, a good cleaning is in order.
You don’t think the exposed and rusted rebar adds to the aesthetic?

Old 04-17-2022, 07:15 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Why are Boston’s tunnels and roadways kept in such disgusting and poor shape? The central artery and other tunnels are filthy with grime and look as if they are 50++ years old.

Forgetting about international cities for a second (Bostonians do fancy the city to be world class), I was traveling in the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel on the way to JFK the other day and was taken with how sparkling clean it was. The Mid Town tunnel as always in similar condition. Have some pride Mass DOT.
You can’t do much maintenance when all of the money goes to 160 hour self-approved weekly timecards and pensions resulting from the said timecards.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:17 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
You can’t do much maintenance when all of the money goes to 160 hour self-approved weekly timecards and pensions resulting from the said timecards.
Uh, State employees have at least two levels of approval (beyond the employee) when they do their time sheets. Any overtime or comp time has additional paperwork and approvals.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:17 AM

5,105 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
You don’t think the exposed and rusted rebar adds to the aesthetic?
I think Mass Highway refers to it as patina.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:21 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The dirt and grime maybe the only thing keeping these tunnels from collapsing.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:14 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Agree. The Callahan and the Sumner, which are often the first & last impressions visitors have of our city, are disgraceful. I'd settle for smooth pavement, and clear markings, let alone removal of the grime & dirt. The exit lane to Logan after you emerge from the Callahan will rattle your suspension!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston