Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 07:21 AM

17,851 posts, read 9,277,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
https://bpdnews.com/news/2023/6/22/u...e-south-boston

Looks like there is more to this story. Children were taken into DCF custody so something is still amiss. But it looks like it may have not been the wildest party from a David Lynch movie after all.
Do you think that's legit? I mean,

"Information that drugs and other concerning materials were strewn about the home is not supported by what officers encountered or by the information received on scene."

^ why would the media make up a story about drugs, alcohol, drug paraphernalia, and sex toys?

This, as originally reported, is a real black eye for the city. And Mayor Wu hasn't commented. Did she write that update?

Michael Flaherty, who spoke with the firefighters on scene, is lying? In the video in the first post, Flaherty said the firefighters reached out to him because they wanted to make sure this didn't get swept under the rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 07:24 AM

16,556 posts, read 8,316,912 times
It's funny because usually people love firefighters and hate cops. Now whoever's agenda this fits will be anti firefighter now

Old 06-23-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
https://bpdnews.com/news/2023/6/22/u...e-south-boston

Looks like there is more to this story. Children were taken into DCF custody so something is still amiss. But it looks like it may have not been the wildest party from a David Lynch movie after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But that doesn't grab attention and create hostile responses the same way OP's link did!
Bad parents come from all kinds of backgrounds, rich, poor, educated or otherwise. Throwing the words transgender and cross dressing says nothing about their parenting skills but it sure does get some people more riled up.
So, Michael Flaherty is lying?

Watch the video again, including the comments from Maura Healey. And then tell me you believe the BPD update.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's funny because usually people love firefighters and hate cops. Now whoever's agenda this fits will be anti firefighter now
I don't think so.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:40 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Watch the video again, including the comments from Maura Healey. And then tell me you believe the BPD update.
Did I say anything about whether there were or were not drugs, sex toys, etc.? BUT sure let's throw in cross dressing and transgender to make it more salacious ok? Because kids in an apt with someone who OD's isn't enough on it's own to grab headlines.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Did I say anything about whether there were or were not drugs, sex toys, etc.? BUT sure let's throw in cross dressing and transgender to make it more salacious ok? Because kids in an apt with someone who OD's isn't enough on it's own to grab headlines.
From the BPD update:

"The adults on scene, who told officers they had called for help when they became aware their friend was not breathing, were fully cooperative with the Boston Police Officers who responded."

"There were four children on site who all had a parent present in the residence."

"The parents and the officers who responded felt it was best for the children to stay in another room with one of the parents and took steps to avoid having the children see the deceased."

"Information that drugs and other concerning materials were strewn about the home is not supported by what officers encountered or by the information received on scene."

^ I don't believe any of those statements. Do you?

Old 06-23-2023, 07:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,040,478 times
Quote:
A standard run of the mill filthy house with a dead body and children inside wouldn't grab headlines and conversation on this forum.

Gotta have the weapon of cross dressers and trans to make this forum appalled. NOW you've got a game. Shame shame shame how can these horrible libs tolerate this.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:59 AM

3,231 posts, read 2,137,139 times
Maybe Flaherty took the account of some BFD and ran with it. The media is pretty broken these days so I usually chose to not pay attention to things until maybe a week later when actual facts are released.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:01 AM

12,921 posts, read 22,086,645 times
Quote:
why would the media make up a story about drugs, alcohol, drug paraphernalia, and sex toys?
This is pretty obvious, right? The success of the media's business model is entirely dependent on the number of clicks their articles get and the number of views their videos get. All of the peripheral stuff in the initial report is what drives clicks/views. Otherwise, it's a story about someone who OD'd with kids in the home. Sad, but unfortunately not uncommon in Massachusetts. And not the type of thing that generates headlines. The drugs/booze/paraphernalia/sex toys/cross-dressers, etc. are just the type of things that make this a clickable/viewable story for the average person. Case in point, there were over 2,000 overdoses in MA in 2022 (many of those likely in homes with kids), and hundreds more so far in 2023. Yet this is the only one I see with several pages of discussion in CD. Coincidence?

That said, the media didn't "make up" a story. They had information, from Flaherty who probably just relayed the information he was given, and felt it was credible enough to publish. Maybe both Flaherty and the media could have done a little more digging, but that's fairly standard practice. It's still a far cry from making anything up.

As for what really happened, who knows? I don't think BFD are liars. But I also don't think BPD would publish a statement like that just for giggles. I don't even think pressure from the Mayor's Office would be enough to force them to outright lie and contradict another city department. If it's purely politics, the Mayor's Office would probably push BFD to release a statement rather than pit BPD against them. I'm sure more will come to light in the coming days.

Last edited by lrfox; 06-23-2023 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-23-2023, 08:02 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,196,334 times
Quote:
From the BPD update:

"The adults on scene, who told officers they had called for help when they became aware their friend was not breathing, were fully cooperative with the Boston Police Officers who responded."

"There were four children on site who all had a parent present in the residence."

"The parents and the officers who responded felt it was best for the children to stay in another room with one of the parents and took steps to avoid having the children see the deceased."

^ I don't believe any of those statements. Do you?
Are you deliberately missing the point? What does CROSS DRESSING or TRANSGENDER have to do with your "concerning materials" and dead bodies? Specifically those two phrases, why do you think those were tossed in there, is it because somehow being a cross dresser or a transgender person makes you a bad parent, worse than other people, what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston