Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2024, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 639 times

Advertisements

Dear all please I have been looking for employment for the last 6 month in ma just something minimum wage and not too much hard labor or standing because I have bad feet in the state of massachusetts specifically in the metro west area I am staying in my car in this very harsh climate I pick food from the dumpster and have left overs I have a minimal stove and pan where I warm the food. I have apply to over 100 jobs no one want to hire for no reason and I am just asking enough to go because it's obvious am not wanted here can someone please help me with some links to call to get help . I am hoping for some other job tomorrow hopefully not the same delima again any suggestions will help thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 04:20 PM

10,040 posts, read 15,705,408 times
Can you get to any kind of homeless shelter? You can't stay in your car overnight, it's getting too cold for that and we are also getting snowfall this weekend. Can you drive to a police station so they can help?

Old 01-04-2024, 05:16 PM

3,681 posts, read 1,890,200 times
I'd suggest going to one of the intake centers the migrants go to. How could they turn you away when they're helping non residents with food, shelter and finding employment. If they won't help you, call your state rep and complain!

Old 01-05-2024, 09:44 AM

16,578 posts, read 8,327,109 times
I'm not sure going to the police station is the thing to do? I guess they could give advice on where to go but going directly to a shelter would probably be better.

Old 01-05-2024, 11:54 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,206,394 times
Can you already qualify for SNAP food stamps and maybe some cash assistance? Not sure if you currently have a Massachusetts license and/or another document to show proof of residency to access these things.

Despite what some may say, I'm not even sure if an American citizen can access all of Massachusetts' benefits without being a state resident -- unless you're a migrant here and/or applying for asylum?

I think if one stays at Pine Street Inn or other shelters, staff can set one up to use that address as their mailing address ...and I assume proof of residency. Maybe one needs to have a case manager set it all up.

Father Bill's shelter is in Quincy, but I've heard one must be from or have recently lived in Quincy to use it (or is it for people with ties to the South Shore in general?Hmmm...).

MassHire is located at I think 1515 Hancock Street in Quincy. I've seen signs near the door inside about hiring events and such, probably job listings along with announcements for occasional job fairs.

Do you have money for gas and car insurance? Could you consider pizza delivery or even UberEATS or DoorDash?

The gig apps are very easy to get hired after a quick background check. Okay, yes...you'll destroy your car delivering but at least you can write off the miles and gas, and get access to quick daily cash in the short-term until you get settled more. You can work whenever and whichever city you desire, though not always busy.

I assume you don't demand to make a lot of money for now, just enough to eat and maybe eventually get a room or find a roommate.

Star Markets I shop at always have a sign at the customer service desk detailing which current jobs are available. I think the one on Morrissey Blvd. in Dorchester has a walk in interview on Thursdays.

Stop & Shop in North Quincy always has a sign near a desk advertising for part-time jobs at $15 hourly. Target in the Fenway and North Quincy have overnight jobs at $18.75 per hour or so and I think even some jobs during normal hours.

But do you have a case worker? Maybe one needs to have health insurance already to access one...but, I'm likely the Mass and Cass homeless folks get a case worker automatically even if no health insurance yet, maybe via Rosie's Place women's shelter or Pine Street Inn, and hopefully various benefits soonafter?

Neighborhood Housing at 422 Washington Street in Quincy serves the South Shore, but I think one has to be referred to them for rooms via a case manager, perhaps. May as well call and inquire.

And I was at Quincy City Hall the other day for something else, but noticed a sheet listing the many rooming houses here. Not sure of availability and if long waitlists, however.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:56 PM

17,856 posts, read 9,283,781 times
So many places are looking to hire. If you've been rejected at over 100 places (and you're not a felon), I'd guess the problem is your appearance. I would recommend getting a cheap gym membership so you can take showers and clean yourself up.

Old 01-05-2024, 01:16 PM

10,040 posts, read 15,705,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm not sure going to the police station is the thing to do? I guess they could give advice on where to go but going directly to a shelter would probably be better.

They'll be able to recommend a shelter.

Old 01-07-2024, 03:59 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,206,394 times
Hmmm ...OP hasn't returned.

Old 01-09-2024, 02:07 PM

6,470 posts, read 7,813,323 times
There are some Target locations hiring. They pay well compared to other places that start at minimum wage. I'd hit every single one. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: