Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:48 AM

16,303 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...ill-man/?amp=1

Thoughts ? Seems to be an increase in mentally ill people flipping out and being a danger to others. Feels like anytime there's a murder or an act of violence there's always some reasoning on why the person did it.

4.7 million seems like a LOT of money to pay one mother for the death of a violent schizophrenic son. Plenty of others have died at the hands of someone else and received nothing. Not sure how they came up with this number but wow. So much for the cops being able to defend themselves. This person should have been institutionalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 07:11 AM

What about this family ?

https://www.masslive.com/news/2023/0...outputType=amp

Will they get 4.7M too ?

Old 03-28-2024, 07:43 AM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What about this family ?

https://www.masslive.com/news/2023/0...outputType=amp

Will they get 4.7M too ?
The family's wrongful death suit was dismissed.

Of course, there are several glaring differences between the two cases. Coleman's parents called 911 to request assistance specifically for a mental health crisis at their own home. The case, in a nutshell, alleged that the city was unprepared to respond to a mental health crisis, even when they were aware that that's what they were dealing with. This is a more comparable case (and I'm not sure what the status of any lawsuit is).

Root, on the other hand, was threatening people in a very public area (Longwood) brandishing a gun (turned out to be a BB gun, but that's not easy for anyone to discern in the moment) before leading police on a high speed chase across municipal borders and causing at least one wreck. Police didn't have the same background to work with as they did for Coleman. Between the refusal to surrender, the gun threats, the shot/injured bystander, and the high speed chase ending in a crash, it's quite a bit different than a guy who is known to be in the midst of a mental health crisis outside of his own home with a knife.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that the police were justified or unjustified in either case. I don't know enough to make a claim either way. But they were quite clearly different situations. So I'm glad these lawsuits are handled on a case by case basis rather than passing judgment based on every officer involved shooting of someone with mental illness.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:50 PM

We all get that she/they were calling for help...unfortunately when the help showed up they were greeted by a knife wielding, dangerous man. doesnt matter if he had mental issues. What should they or anyone for that matter have done with someone in a psychotic state with a weapon? Stay and get stabbed or walk away and let him stab someone else? People keep saying, but but she was calling for help. There's only so much help someone can be in a situation like that. I guess next time the police should arrive in hazmat suits which might help in the event they are stabbed or shot? Police don't get paid enough to get killed by someone like this (or anyone for that matter).

At the end of the day Im sure the officers who showed up are happy to be alive (although probably are dealing with some PTSD issues) but it sure did cost the city a lot for one crazy dude and his mother who clearly weren't getting him the help he had needed his whole life.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:47 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
We all get that she/they were calling for help...unfortunately when the help showed up they were greeted by a knife wielding, dangerous man. doesnt matter if he had mental issues. What should they or anyone for that matter have done with someone in a psychotic state with a weapon?
when you receive that call you're supposed to be prepared for the worst. Shouldn't result in a death; you have multiple people and pellet guns and non-fatal areas of the body to shoot.

Thats what happens when you F up. City has to pay up.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:02 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
when you receive that call you're supposed to be prepared for the worst. Shouldn't result in a death; you have multiple people and pellet guns and non-fatal areas of the body to shoot.

I'm sure you're thrilled about it. You love this stuff.

What could anyone have done about a knife wielding psychotic fool? Even Dr's have shot dangerous mentally ill patients.

And pay up for what? To one mother who probably has no idea what to do with 5M and will be dead herself soon? Wow, what a trade.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you're thrilled about it. You love this stuff.

What could anyone have done about a knife wielding psychotic fool? Even Dr's have shot dangerous mentally ill patients.

And pay up for what? To one mother who probably has no idea what to do with 5M and will be dead herself soon? Wow, what a trade.
Easy. Just shoot him in the leg. Get two men in swat gear and shields and just take him down. BPD has done it before, plenty times.

It's not that hard, but we know some cops are cowards, and they get scared easily. That's not surprising. You still gotta pay up that bread though.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:25 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Easy. Just shoot him in the leg. Get two men in swat gear and shields and just take him down. BPD has done it before, plenty times.

It's not that hard, but we know some cops are cowards, and they get scared easily. That's not surprising. You still gotta pay up that bread though.
You have no clue about what you're spouting off about. What's "easy" is to sit from the comfort of your home, blowing out of your rear end about things you don't understand. You ain't in the ring.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
You have no clue about what you're spouting off about. What's "easy" is to sit from the comfort of your home, blowing out of your rear end about things you don't understand. You ain't in the ring.
Lemme guess - you're "in the ring" (city street) cuz you're super tough, right?

Well ill tell you what a mentally ill man with a maaaaaaaasive knife (probably a machete actually) got within 2 feet of y face and threatened to stab me on the redline southbound train in 2017 at Ashmont. For looking at him. I calmly walked away.

If I was a police officer with bulletproof vest, a vehicle, radio, backup, and non-lethal forms of defense, I wouldn't have even thought to apply lethal force or fire my Glock.

Police manage to do it every day without issue. Some cant. Not everyone is competent at their job. And the city has to cut that check regarddess of what ring I am not or am in.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:02 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

That depends on a lot of things. For one, was he actively threatening others or was he barricaded inside a room by himself (a danger to nobody else)? Do we have all these facts yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston