Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 02:38 PM

5,828 posts, read 4,168,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I do think you're missing the point too...if people could choose anywhere in the world to live, job situation doesn't matter, i think it's safe to say most would not choose MA. The reason so many choose it is for jobs....which they NEED. If they just needed a house the world would be their oyster.
I never said anything about MA, and I've pointed this out to you several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 02:45 PM

16,340 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Then why are you posting on the boston forum? That's what we are talking about.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Then why are you posting on the boston forum? That's what we are talking about.
At no point has my discussion with the other two users been about Boston, and I've pointed that out to you several times. It has been about California and whether negative net migration implies low desirability. I responded to a comment about that, and I think I've been pretty clear on what I'm talking about.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:11 PM

4,220 posts, read 1,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
At no point has my discussion with the other two users been about Boston, and I've pointed that out to you several times. It has been about California and whether negative net migration implies low desirability. I responded to a comment about that, and I think I've been pretty clear on what I'm talking about.
Your premise would be far easier to swallow if only the Golden State wasn't hemorrhaging human bodies. It's Yogi logic: people are leaving, it MUST be desirable.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Your premise would be far easier to swallow if only the Golden State wasn't hemorrhaging human bodies. It's Yogi logic: people are leaving, it MUST be desirable.
Yeah, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the most expensive place to live went up by a further 40%. If California is seeing negative migration and Ohio is seeing positive migration, Ohio must be a more desirable place to live.

/sarcasm

But we've been down this road already, and either you don't see this distinction or don't care about the distinction. I'm not going to keep at it, though. You can have the last word.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:08 PM

5,099 posts, read 2,661,482 times
When all is said and done the fact that people move to a certain area may be underwritten by desire to live there, but it could also mean they are willing to tolerate it for other reasons. And when your options in certain areas are limited, you have a tendency to be more tolerant. Tolerance is not desirability, it's putting up with a place because you feel compelled to do so for one reason or another. I can say that from firsthand experience of living in so-called desirable cities that I couldn't stand, only because I needed to for my career or other reasons. Places like Greater Boston and urban areas of CA have housing supply problems which further compound things. Most of the Northeast and coastal cities are benefiting from history/industrialization, climate and geography as opposed to anything being done new today. If anything, people are tolerating how they are being run today for the benefit of the other factors. The country is being run into the ground by globalization so people with means will go where they can make the most of it. People without will go where they can hurt the least or, in some cases, get the most from the state. Then there's the immigration from OCONUS where people go to certain areas for very specific reasons independent of desire.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 04-16-2024 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-16-2024, 04:20 PM

16,340 posts, read 8,162,213 times
I think a lot of people put up with the real estate prices in Boston because of the job they have here and the public education is good. Not because MA is this fabulous, magical place to live.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:21 PM

5,099 posts, read 2,661,482 times
I think framing all of the possible "reasons" people have for going to a certain place under the heading "desirability" is a misleading conversation with likely political motivations.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:32 PM

4,220 posts, read 1,670,053 times
V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Yeah, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the most expensive place to live went up by a further 40%. If California is seeing negative migration and Ohio is seeing positive migration, Ohio must be a more desirable place to live.

/sarcasm

But we've been down this road already, and either you don't see this distinction or don't care about the distinction. I'm not going to keep at it, though. You can have the last word.
Bottom line is that if you don't take care of your taxpaying citizenry, economically and socially, somebody else will. This can't be divorced from politics since California and Massachusetts currently suffer from the same ailment: an abusive and arrogant Democratic political trifecta with all the hubris of a liberal hegemony. Dismiss the "hell" of states such as Florida, Texas and North Carolina at one's own peril. They're becoming a comfortable haven for an increasing percentage of the population. What people are beginning to question most of all in expensive and putatively desirable states like ours and California is value. Are they really that much better? For the money? Voters and politicians alike, in both, better get their sh*t together and realize that preeminence going forward is far from written in stone. Fleeing taxpayers leave a heavier wagon with fewer horses to pull it, and we know how that ends. Folks in this big and beautiful country vote with their feet. Always have and always will.

Last edited by PureBoston; 04-16-2024 at 07:56 PM..

Old 04-16-2024, 07:55 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
V8

Bottom line is that if you don't take care of your taxpaying citizenry, economically and socially, somebody else will. California and Massachusetts currently suffer from the same ailment: an abusive and arrogant Democratic political trifecta with the hubris of a liberal hegemony. Dismiss the "hell" of states such as Florida, Texas and North Carolina at one's own peril. They're becoming a comfortable haven for an increasing percentage of the population. What people are beginning to question most of all in expensive and putatively desirable states like ours and California is value. Are they really that much better? For the money? Voters and politicians alike, in both, better get their sh*t together and realize that preeminence going forward is far from written in stone. Fleeing taxpayers leave a heavier wagon with fewer horses to pull it, and we know how that ends. Folks in this big and beautiful country vote with their feet. Always have and always will.

Can't rep this enough. While other states look towards the future, like an inbred royal family we are a state increasingly living off the dividends our "past" greatness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston