Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 11:37 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Per the report the other user linked to, the cause of the negative net migration figure is high housing costs.
Which link says something as simple and straight forward as that? I missed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 11:37 AM

4,255 posts, read 1,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I would say that's a big part of it. A lot of it comes down to people not wanting to pay 1M for a 3 bedroom starter home. Maybe they don't have the money or maybe they do, but want something better.

You make it seems like MA is this superior state that only the wealthy can afford. This may be the case for the nicer towns around greater Boston but that's about it. There is a lot to dislike about MA - commuting, traffic, poor housing stock, the weather, lack of winter activities (if you don't ski and cant take off up north to another state).
There's a major distinction to drawn between desirability for the wealthy and desirability for the rest of us. It's simply lost on some. Like we'd all live in Dover because of its "raw desirability"....if only we could afford it.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:39 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:

You make it seems like MA is this superior state that only the wealthy can afford. This may be the case for the nicer towns around greater Boston but that's about it. There is a lot to dislike about MA - commuting, traffic, poor housing stock, the weather, lack of winter activities (if you don't ski and cant take off up north to another state).
I didn't say anything about MA, so I have no idea how I made it seem like anything.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
There's a major distinction to drawn between desirability for the wealthy and desirability for the rest of us. It's simply lost on some. Like we'd all live in Dover because of its "raw desirability"....if only we could afford it.
Then you agree with me. Stop acting like you disagree. Places can be desirable, but people can still leave because they can't afford it or their money goes further elsewhere. That doesn't mean no one wants to live in that place....it just means the practical constraints make them choose elsewhere. I've laid this out multiple times...not sure how you're still missing it.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Which link says something as simple and straight forward as that? I missed that.
Sorry, he actually didn't provide a link. I had to find the report he was referencing myself: https://www.ppic.org/publication/wha...hy-it-matters/

Old 04-16-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Liberal and conservative media have both been reporting it for years. Because......it's a fact? And unbiased? Your every post is a rant against the "right wing".
Per your own link, California didn't have negative net migration until a few years ago. It had grown for thirty years prior to that. And the whole "Everyone's leaving California" story has largely been told my conservative outlets.

I've only mentioned rightwing media, not "the right wing." It is indisputable that rightwing media wants to portray liberal places as experiencing an exodus of people. No one on either side of the aisle can deny that, and pointing it out doesn't make me biased.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:45 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Then you agree with me. Stop acting like you disagree. Places can be desirable, but people can still leave because they can't afford it or their money goes further elsewhere. That doesn't mean no one wants to live in that place....it just means the practical constraints make them choose elsewhere. I've laid this out multiple times...not sure how you're still missing it.
so if money were no object you think everyone would want to live in MA?

Old 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
so if money were no object you think everyone would want to live in MA?
I have no idea how you gathered that from anything I said. I didn't even mention MA, and at no point did I imply that everyone would want to live any specific place if money were no object. This is such a wild interpretation of my comment that I'm questioning the usefulness of this conversation.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:06 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Sorry, he actually didn't provide a link. I had to find the report he was referencing myself: https://www.ppic.org/publication/wha...hy-it-matters/
Ah, interesting. But I don't see where it says "the cause of the negative net migration figure is high housing cost."

Old 04-16-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Ah, interesting. But I don't see where it says "the cause of the negative net migration figure is high housing cost."
I didn't claim to be quoting it verbatim, which is why I didn't use quotes. It says 34% of residents are considering moving due to housing, which seems extremely high. And it mentions housing specifically multiple times, including in the summary about ways to thwart the negative migration. Perhaps I should have said "a major driver" instead of "the cause," although it seems quite possible given the data that California wouldn't have negative migration if housing were cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston