Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 12:11 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I didn't claim to be quoting it verbatim, which is why I didn't use quotes. It says 34% of residents are considering moving due to housing, which seems extremely high. And it mentions housing specifically multiple times, including in the summary about ways to thwart the negative migration.
Ah, so you just made up your assertion. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 12:11 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Ah, so you just made it up. Got it.
I knew you weren't conversing in good faith. There are more options than "verbatim quote" and "made it up."

Old 04-16-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I knew you weren't conversing in good faith. There are more options than "verbatim quote" and "made it up."
You make a conclusive assertion like that without any real evidence and then talk about conversing in good faith? lmao

34 percent of people considering moving because of high housing costs does not begin to support your blanket statement.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You make a conclusive assertion like that without any real evidence and then talk about conversing in good faith? lmao
Except I didn't. The report frequently cites housing costs as a main driver of outflow migration, and in the recommendations portion, the only factor addressed regarding outflow migration is housing costs.

"Good faith" means you are actually interested in a productive discussion, which you pretended to be in the beginning.

Does anyone here honestly believe that if California's housing costs were cut by 40% that there would still be negative net migration? Anyone?

Old 04-16-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Except I didn't. The report frequently cites housing costs as a main driver of outflow migration, and in the recommendations portion, the only factor addressed regarding outflow migration is housing costs.

"Good faith" means you are actually interested in a productive discussion, which you pretended to be in the beginning.

Does anyone here honestly believe that if California's housing costs were cut by 40% that there would still be negative net migration? Anyone?
It also says an increasing number of higher income Californians are leaving the state. Is that because they find it desirable?

BTW: What specific factors do you attribute to desirability?

Old 04-16-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
It also says an increasing number of higher income Californians are leaving the state. Is that because they find is desirable?
You're dodging the question.

And I don't see where the report goes into the reason for why an increasing number of high-income Californians are leaving the state, but my guess is that "high income" in California doesn't always mean "high enough income."

But back to the question I just posed: If California's housing costs were suddenly cut by 40%, do you honestly believe they'd still have negative net migration?

Old 04-16-2024, 12:28 PM

9,069 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about MA, so I have no idea how I made it seem like anything.
Quote:
I have no idea how you gathered that from anything I said. I didn't even mention MA, and at no point did I imply that everyone would want to live any specific place if money were no object. This is such a wild interpretation of my comment that I'm questioning the usefulness of this conversation.
You are posting in the MA forum. Others are going to presume your comments relate to MA somehow when posting here.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You're dodging the question.

And I don't see where the report goes into the reason for why an increasing number of high-income Californians are leaving the state, but my guess is that "high income" in California doesn't always mean "high enough income."

But back to the question I just posed: If California's housing costs were suddenly cut by 40%, do you honestly believe they'd still have negative net migration?
In a vacuum? Where the costs just magically drop by your arbitrary 40 percent mark absent other variables and confounders? It's not a realistic scenario or question so why would I speak to it? None of these issues exist independently.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
You are posting in the MA forum. Others are going to presume your comments relate to MA somehow when posting here.
Not when my discussion with the other user is clearly about California.

Quote:
In a vacuum? Where the costs just magically drop by your arbitrary 40 percent mark absent other variables and confounders? It's not a realistic scenario or question so why would I speak to it? None of these issues exist independently.
Where people would choose to live if they could afford to live anywhere says a ton about desirability. If more people would move to California if housing costs drop, that implies housing costs are a major driver of the current negative net migration.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Not when my discussion with the other user is clearly about California.

Where people would choose to live if they could afford to live anywhere says a ton about desirability. If more people would move to California if housing costs drop, that implies housing costs are a major driver of the current negative net migration.
Well that would also be dependent on where they're coming from and how much it costs to live there....along with other variables. Do you think migrants from Mexico and South America move there because of the housing costs? I thought people moved to these states because of the desirability. what exactly are those factors anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston