Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,259 times

Advertisements

Okay so I have lived in Houston, Texas my whole life and am now thinking of relocating to Boston. I have tried to look online and research the best areas to live. I am a restaurant manager so I dont make a whole lot but I also dont want to live in too bad of an area. Any suggestions on an area around Boston or any close cities that might be suitable?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:48 PM

41 posts, read 308,630 times
Details? How much can you spend per month? What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? Have a car? Want nightlife close by? etc.?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,259 times
It's gonna be my boyfriend and I. We only need a one bedroom. I was thinking between 1000 and 1200. I know that doesnt get you a whole lot but until we can get adapted and see what all we can earn up there, that will have to do. I heard that Milford wasnt too bad. We each have a car but probably will only bring one. We would probably like to be somewhat close to nightlife since we are only 26 and have no kids.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,810 times
milford is about 40 miles outside of Boston and while I have no experience with it, I'll tell you that 40 miles here is not like 40 miles in LA or (probably) Texas. It feels like lightyears away. If you want to be closer to the city, I think there are some good options, but you might have to up your budget a little. You can definitely get closer than Milford. Hopefully people can pitch in. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,848 times
You could probably find a 1 bedroom in Allston, Brighton, Jamaica Plain, Mission Hill, or the Fenway for your budget, possibly a 1 bedroom with a good sized office. Some areas are more student-y, particularly Allston/Brighton. Parking is notoriously difficult here, so one car or no car is a good idea. When planning your budget it's good to keep in mind that utilities (heat especially) might not be included in your rent. I was stunned when I was looking for a place in a new city and discovered that heat was included in the rent at most places - in Boston that's not the case!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiJP View Post
You could probably find a 1 bedroom in Allston, Brighton, Jamaica Plain, Mission Hill, or the Fenway for your budget, possibly a 1 bedroom with a good sized office. Some areas are more student-y, particularly Allston/Brighton. Parking is notoriously difficult here, so one car or no car is a good idea. When planning your budget it's good to keep in mind that utilities (heat especially) might not be included in your rent. I was stunned when I was looking for a place in a new city and discovered that heat was included in the rent at most places - in Boston that's not the case!
Allston (specifically Allston Heights) is precisely what I would suggest on that budget. Anywhere else is going to be more expensive. Anywhere beyond a quarter mile west of Harvard Ave. From that neighborhood, you can walk in one direction to Whole Foods on Washington Street, another direction to Coolidge Corner in Brookline, and another direction to Harvard Sq.

The only problem is the car. Parking is impossible to find; a car just isn't worth the trouble of spending an hour trying to put it somewhere--it would own you. Another thing Texans would not like is this: in Massachusetts, people think nothing of bumping and pushing up into other people's cars in order to shoehorn into a space. (In fact thay think nothing of bumping into your car on the road.)

Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 23,211 times
Definitely not Milford!!!!! That is NOT Boston. I think you'll find the pay higher here so you'll likely be able to spend a little more on rent. If you can afford it South Boston (Southie) is getting to be a wonderful spot with new restuarants, close to waterfront. Walk everywhere and still be able to park most of the time pretty easily. LOTS of young people. We have moved to the burbs now that we have kids but most of our 20's and early 30's friends are still there and loving it!! Good luck! Boston has it's own heartbeat...you're gonna love it!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Another pertinent question is whether you're planning to work right in, or very near, Boston, or more in the suburbs. Assuming you're looking more in or near the city, I'd also suggest Arlington and Waltham. Both are a little farther out than the other areas that have been suggested, but are waaaaaay closer than Milford. Both of those towns (small cities, really) are a mix of urban and suburban, and have local shops and restaurants. Might be easier to own a car in these towns, but you're still pretty close to Boston, with some degree of local nightlife, and public transit into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston