Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 AM

6 posts, read 30,878 times

Advertisements

We are looking at condo which is just a stone's throw away from Franklin Park. We really like how close it is to the park, but at the same time worried about the fact that it's pretty close to Washington St (East of Washington) and the houses on that street looks really run-down. Also I think there are rental apartments almost right next to it. We love the house, but we are also concerned about the safety in the area (I love running and would be running in the neighborhood - to and fro Franklin) and also will be walking to the T to work. We have been looking for almost 6 months now.
It's a really tough call, but anyone who can help with thoughts/experiences etc will be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
I agree that that's a tough call to make. When the Orange Line was relocated and the el tracks over Washington Street were demolished, in the late '80s, the hope was that a rebound of the neighborhood would be triggered as a result. Things haven't exactly turned out that way. There's some night life toward Forest Hills (Doyle's, Midway Cafe, etc) but the community is still fairly shaky by and large. Out of the three side streets running east from Washington that I'm well familiarized with, Glen Rd and Robeson St are nice but Iffley Rd is an iffy road (lol.) As a rule, the closer to Egleston Square you go the sketchier the area becomes. And, while I've never run into any hassles of any kind no matter what the hour at Forest Hills the station is said to now have one of the worst crime rates on the MBTA. Chalk that up, so to speak, to having English High - one of Boston's schools of last resort - in the vicinity. I wouldn't want to tarry along that stretch of Washington after dark either.
A better and safer bet would be to look in Roslindale (west of Washington St) or in the pondside neighborhoods or on/near Centre St in JP up to Hyde Square.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 12,917 times
I live in the area and would say that the closer you are to Forest Hills station the better. As you go more towards Green the neighborhood gets slightly less desirable--I believe there is a small public housing project on Forest Hills St in that direction, for exapmle.

On the other hand, if you are running and going to the T station during daylight hours, you really shouldn't have a problem. I've never felt unsafe walking to the T when it's light out. If you're walking on Washington, it's very well-travelled so someone would have to be a moron to mug you. There is constant traffic.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I agree that that's a tough call to make. When the Orange Line was relocated and the el tracks over Washington Street were demolished, in the late '80s, the hope was that a rebound of the neighborhood would be triggered as a result. Things haven't exactly turned out that way. There's some night life toward Forest Hills (Doyle's, Midway Cafe, etc) but the community is still fairly shaky by and large. Out of the three side streets running east from Washington that I'm well familiarized with, Glen Rd and Robeson St are nice but Iffley Rd is an iffy road (lol.) As a rule, the closer to Egleston Square you go the sketchier the area becomes. And, while I've never run into any hassles of any kind no matter what the hour at Forest Hills the station is said to now have one of the worst crime rates on the MBTA. Chalk that up, so to speak, to having English High - one of Boston's schools of last resort - in the vicinity. I wouldn't want to tarry along that stretch of Washington after dark either.
A better and safer bet would be to look in Roslindale (west of Washington St) or in the pondside neighborhoods or on/near Centre St in JP up to Hyde Square.
Hold it, hold it. The section of JP the OP is asking about may not be the richest or trendiest but it is by no means the worst. You're making it sound like a place to avoid which is not true. The streets closest to Egleston Square are iffey as you said and Egleston Square is not at all swanky in my opinion but there are many side streets around Stony Brook Station that are very nice. There are tennis courts, basketball courts, linear bikepath (the Southwest Corridor Park) and a playground nearby and the area is well populated by young professionals and other newcomers. Washington Street may look look run down because it is a major thoroughway and because several business such as auto shops nearby.

Forest Hills Station can get very crowded, especially around 2 to 3pm when the middle and high schools let out but I would not be scared away from that station from crime statitistics which are pure baloney sometimes. Sure fights break out sometimes between high school students there but what do you expect from teenagers. Just stick to common sense, walk away if you hear a loud argument, alert the police (there are plenty at Forest Hills), and keep a good eye on your valuables. Forest Hills is one of the busiest stations in the whole MBTA system, what do you expect?

As for English High School, the argument that it is a last resort for Boston public students is questionable. Sure it is not as good as it was in the past as you said yourself in the other post but it is by no means much different from any other high school in Boston save Boston Latin. For the better, the BPS cut a third of English High School's student body last year when it became a Commonwealth Pilot School and got rid of many troublemaking students so there are fewer kids now. Also, from experience working at EHS, I can tell you that most of its students do not live in the neighborhood it is in. Most students quickly clear out of the neighborhood in the afternoon and either head down Washington Street to Forest Hills Station or up Brook Street to Green Street Station; relatively few loiter about the neighborhood. What's more, the Jamaica Plain Community Center is located right across the street from EHS.

You suggested Roslindale or Pondside. First of all, Pondside is much pricier than the part of JP the OP is asking about and so the question of affordability will surface. As for Roslindale, it is simply not as convenient as JP because no rapid transit route extends that far. All the OP has for choices are buses (which feed into Forest Hills Station) or commuter rail (which runs less frequently and is pricier to ride).

All in all, I still think the part of Jamaica Plain the OP is asking about is doable. You have proximity to various parks such as the Southwest Corridor, the Arboretum, and Franklin Park (which is not as dangerous as people think it is and no more dangerous than other parks), Orange Line rapid transit, a communty center, athletic facilities, the oldest public high school in the nation (yes that is English High School), and I believe a YMCA, what more could one ask for?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 AM

7 posts, read 26,473 times
Dal2bos -

I live in JP - a stone's throw away from Franklin Park. I love it.

I know the area of which you're speaking - and I'm inbetween some of the other posters on the area. I would say it's not the greatest and it's not the worst. If you're buying a place and planning to stay awhile (let's say 10 years), I have a feeling that neighborhood is definitely up and coming. The JP area actually APPRECIATED in home values throughout this crappy economic downturn where as W. Roxbury, Roslindale, and Hyde Park declined. If I were someone with no kids, looking to buy a condo, and staying in the area for a good chunk of time, I'd consider the neighborhood in which you're looking (I'm assuming the neighborhood you're looking is between Washington St. and Forest Hills St. -- Brookley, Rossmore and Williams St?) However, if you're looking to rent, I think you can get a better deal elsewhere. I'm looking for a single family home/townhouse and looked at one recently in that area. I couldn't believe the price they were asking for such a crappy building and street (Plainfield St.) I like Forest Hills St and have looked at a few places on Rossmore and liked that street too. Nice feeling of community. It really just depends on what part of the neighborhood you're looking.

OK - here are my 2 cents on JP neighborhoods based on my experience --
I agree with Urban Peasant - pondside is very NICE neighborhood, but very expensive to buy a place. Modest condos go for $600,000-$750,000 easily. If you're renting, it may be an option. But buying will be tougher unless you've got some serious $.

I've found that the neighborhoods on the right of Centre (and South Street -as you go straight southward) are more affordable - and therefore, not as nice as the neighborhoods on the left hand side. I have a few friends scattered on those side streets - Hall, McBride, Boynton -- and they like living there. A little further away from the parks, but defintely walkable (or in your case, runable)

I've heard the neighborhood immediately to the left of the Stony Brook T is very nice. The cluster of streets from Paul Gore St. down to Spring Park Ave.

Now, the Forest Hills T station. The entire neighborhood across from the T (Hyde Park Ave) from Tower St. down to Walk Hill Street is really nice. It borders the Forest Hills cemetery (which is really more of a park than a cemetery - and I run there all the time. I think it's just as nice as Franklin Park or the Arboretum - beautiful trees, ponds, and yes, grave stones). The neighborhood is packed with condos without a lot of off street parking, so it can feel congested, but some great apartments/condos there and a good community feel. If I were looking for a JP condo, I'd look there for sure.

Hope this helped.
Good luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 30,878 times
Thank you all so much for your input! We are still looking and really hope that something will come up soon!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:19 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Hold it, hold it. The section of JP the OP is asking about may not be the richest or trendiest but it is by no means the worst. You're making it sound like a place to avoid which is not true. The streets closest to Egleston Square are iffey as you said and Egleston Square is not at all swanky in my opinion but there are many side streets around Stony Brook Station that are very nice. There are tennis courts, basketball courts, linear bikepath (the Southwest Corridor Park) and a playground nearby and the area is well populated by young professionals and other newcomers. Washington Street may look look run down because it is a major thoroughway and because several business such as auto shops nearby.

Forest Hills Station can get very crowded, especially around 2 to 3pm when the middle and high schools let out but I would not be scared away from that station from crime statitistics which are pure baloney sometimes. Sure fights break out sometimes between high school students there but what do you expect from teenagers. Just stick to common sense, walk away if you hear a loud argument, alert the police (there are plenty at Forest Hills), and keep a good eye on your valuables. Forest Hills is one of the busiest stations in the whole MBTA system, what do you expect?

As for English High School, the argument that it is a last resort for Boston public students is questionable. Sure it is not as good as it was in the past as you said yourself in the other post but it is by no means much different from any other high school in Boston save Boston Latin. For the better, the BPS cut a third of English High School's student body last year when it became a Commonwealth Pilot School and got rid of many troublemaking students so there are fewer kids now. Also, from experience working at EHS, I can tell you that most of its students do not live in the neighborhood it is in. Most students quickly clear out of the neighborhood in the afternoon and either head down Washington Street to Forest Hills Station or up Brook Street to Green Street Station; relatively few loiter about the neighborhood. What's more, the Jamaica Plain Community Center is located right across the street from EHS.

You suggested Roslindale or Pondside. First of all, Pondside is much pricier than the part of JP the OP is asking about and so the question of affordability will surface. As for Roslindale, it is simply not as convenient as JP because no rapid transit route extends that far. All the OP has for choices are buses (which feed into Forest Hills Station) or commuter rail (which runs less frequently and is pricier to ride).

All in all, I still think the part of Jamaica Plain the OP is asking about is doable. You have proximity to various parks such as the Southwest Corridor, the Arboretum, and Franklin Park (which is not as dangerous as people think it is and no more dangerous than other parks), Orange Line rapid transit, a communty center, athletic facilities, the oldest public high school in the nation (yes that is English High School), and I believe a YMCA, what more could one ask for?
Boston, etc., Roxbury, may have crime for the most Boston is a neat place to live! JP is great, and for the crime get a police report! Best to you! If you are not so sure rent for 6 months, then do decide! It is not a forever, also, home is where the heart is! Boston, is an AOK place! Great post, why, I do love Boston! p.s. not the snow, and cold, however, here, vacation is go see the snow! Me, come see the Sun! Also if you do see, what you may afford, do factor in the 8000, for the leap of faith! If, you saw what you can buy, go for it! Since I was 7 I did travel on the T, or with my trusty bike! Not a fear at all, and it was a great adventure! The T to see the BO sox , yes last of 9 teams! No money did we have, but got into the empty bleaches, and moved on down! That was a real leap of faith in the team! We got the free tickets for group day, and free, Kids for Boston, when a name!

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-17-2009 at 12:37 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 AM

50 posts, read 239,781 times
My personal view on this is that a better long-term investment in this price range would be the area between Stony Brook T and Green Street T near Armory Street. Prices are still reasonable, but I think all the new development at the Brewery is really going to help this area - I don't see a similar catalyst for the Washington Street area near Forest Hills. The Brewery was a dump just a few years ago, now there is a great bakery (Ula), very nice gym, Bella Luna is moving there this month, Mamma and Me is moving from Newton (Toddler Enrichment classes in Boston, Jamaica Plain, MA) and now there are rumors that a new organic market is moving there (Jamaica Plain could get 'sustainable' market | Universal Hub ). This sort of development geared towards a higher income market is sure to help that area a lot.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 14,575 times
What does everyone think of the intersection of Abbotsford st and Walnut Ave? I drove that area last night and it seemed ok. I did see a new Bentley parked on the street and I don't consider that to be a good thing.

Is that too far from StonyBrook to have potential down the road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston