Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,304 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to the Boston area next spring. I will be working near Mass General Hospital. Initially thought about moving to Needham, as housing options are right up our alley, but am now worried about the commute. What are transit times like around 7:30 am and 5:30 pm?? If we could make Needham work, that might be best.

Also looking for some diversity as we are an interracial (black-white) family with young kids, so have some concerns about areas like Arlington and Belmont. Are these founded? Newton would be fine, but clearly we'd get less house for our money. Cambridge may be a little too urban for what we're looking for. Thoughts? Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
Default Arlington has many interracial families

you should check it out

Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
You might want to check out Milton. The commute to the Mass. General area might be a bit on the long side, depending on your preferences for commuting time, but Milton is a nice middle-class town, with more of a racial mix than you find in many Boston suburbs, and not as expensive as Newton.

Also, don't write off Cambridge just yet. Out in the northwestern corner of Cambridge, in the vicinity of Fresh Pond and Alewife, the character is more suburban than in much of the rest of that city. It's still somewhat densely populated in that area, but definitely not as highly urban as much of Cambridge. It's true that there is not a lot in the way of local shopping and entertainment in that section of Cambridge, but there is quick public transit access to such amenities in other parts of Cambridge and in Boston.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonboundsoon View Post
Also looking for some diversity as we are an interracial (black-white) family with young kids, so have some concerns about areas like Arlington and Belmont. Are these founded?
I wouldn't think so. I'm curious as to the source of your concerns about Arlington (hometown) and Belmont (current home). As I'm sure you've found, many suburban towns near Boston are heavily white, but Arlington and Belmont are actually slightly more diverse than Needham. They also fill the space between Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Lexington and Waltham, all of which are more diverse than many area towns, and even within the "white" community, Watertown and Belmont have significant Armenian populations. I guess I'm trying to say that it's not like seeing someone of a different background would seem unusual to people in those towns. Arlington is much, much less townie than it was 30 years ago, and Belmont much, much less blue blood.

By this I don't mean at all that I'd expect you to feel totally out of place or unwelcome in Needham, but I do think that Arlington and Belmont today offer somewhat more diversity than Needham does.

Milton is a nice option, and connects to the Red Line. Personally, I find the train ride from Needham to take too long considering the proximity (40-45 mins to South Station, plus commute to MGH area from there). I'd consider places on the Red Line, with quick access to North Station, or at least a shorter train ride to South Station. That would include Belmont (train to North Station, bus and commuter rail connections to Red Line) and Arlington (Red Line at Alewife). For that reason also, I'd not cross them off the list.

It's true that there are some pockets of Cambridge that are less urban, but they often tend to be more expensive than even Belmont or Arlington. The area near Fresh Pond is more affordable and is not as urban as, say, near Central Square, but it's still pretty urban.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 12,304 times
Thanks, all. holder125, honestly, I can't remember what informed my thinking about diversity in Arlington and Belmont -I think I'd heard from some friends who live in Newton - but I am now intrigued about how Belmont migt work for us. We have the town in our list of places we get MLS listings from, but there certainly aren't as many listings as, say, Needham. Are there just not very many houses moving in Belmont? Definitely looks like the commute would be better for me, and I'd love the proximity to Cambridge, my old stomping ground. And from all I've heard, schools are great in Belmont? Would love to hear more thoughts!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonboundsoon View Post
Thanks, all. holder125, honestly, I can't remember what informed my thinking about diversity in Arlington and Belmont -I think I'd heard from some friends who live in Newton - but I am now intrigued about how Belmont migt work for us. We have the town in our list of places we get MLS listings from, but there certainly aren't as many listings as, say, Needham. Are there just not very many houses moving in Belmont? Definitely looks like the commute would be better for me, and I'd love the proximity to Cambridge, my old stomping ground. And from all I've heard, schools are great in Belmont? Would love to hear more thoughts!
I don't like to speculate on what your friends might have in mind, but I will anyway.

I've spent a good amount of time in Newton, and it's a place with a lot to offer. That said, there's a little bit of a sense in Newton that Newton is the only progressive town around. Whatever accuracy that view might have had in the past, today I think it's based on old perceptions. Newton, at one time, was one of the only places people (such as Jewish or Asian families) who were not WASP or Irish/Italian Catholic, the groups that dominated Boston tribal politics, felt able to escape. On the other hand, Belmont was historically seen as a wealthy upper-crusty WASP and New England-style Republican bastion (indeed, a founder of the John Birch Society lived in Belmont 50 years ago, and Mitt Romney is a more recent resident). Arlington has been perceived as more of a blue-collar Irish Catholic (or at least white ethnic) town, perhaps with a higher degree of social conservatism.

As I noted, I think those perceptions are out of date. Of course, like far too many Boston suburbs, both towns are just below 90% white and only something like 2% black. Newton, however, is virtually identical to Belmont and Arlington in its demographic makeup. Perhaps slightly less white (but still over 85%) and a slightly larger Asian population, but generally the same. Newton also has its townie element (which I don't see as a negative as it gives the town some local flavor rather than being exclusively a haven for high-income transplants), so it's a bit misleading to make that point about Arlington and ignore the same type of population in Newton. In both towns, your family might be slightly more comfortable in some neighborhoods than in others.

The perception still exists in many quarters that Newton is more progressive than the other towns, but I'm not sure it's all that true. For example, 75% of Newton residents supported President Obama, but it was 73% in Arlington and 69% in Belmont, higher than in Needham. I recall a ton of Obama-Biden signs all over Belmont in 2008. Arlington, in particular, has become a hot town among people moving to the 'burbs from Cambridge or Somerville and looking for a slightly cheaper alternative without living in the sticks. Some of the Cambridge vibe has come with the new arrivals, and Arlington has a burgeoning restaurant scene. Belmont is sleepier (still a totally dry town with a center that shuts down early), but it is of course right next to Cambridge, Somerville Arlington, Watertown, and Waltham.

I think it's true, though, that there just aren't as many houses for sale in Belmont, for a number of reasons.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM

21 posts, read 81,433 times
belmont has affordable homes, public schools are good and there's good public transportation.

MGH is in cambridge, so i wouldn't write cambridge off just yet (just like another poster suggested). while public schools aren't great, if your kids knows how to motivate themselves they should be fine--- a friend of mine at cambridge rindge and latin (public high school) had the opportunity to take classes at harvard in high school.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 AM

33 posts, read 224,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thao View Post
belmont has affordable homes, public schools are good and there's good public transportation.

MGH is in cambridge, so i wouldn't write cambridge off just yet (just like another poster suggested). while public schools aren't great, if your kids knows how to motivate themselves they should be fine--- a friend of mine at cambridge rindge and latin (public high school) had the opportunity to take classes at harvard in high school.

I graduated from Rindge back in the 80s. I took a summer at Harvard and then went on to some prestigious schools. I would highly recommend that highschool if it's still at the level it was then. I also hear good things about the rest of the Cambridge school system but I'm not familiar with the elementary or middle schools personally.

I'm currently looking at listings in some of the same areas you are and have pulled up some reasonable (2bd for 1400) places in North Cambridge. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by EastCoastWoman; 01-15-2010 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: added quote for clarity

Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM

29 posts, read 109,073 times
Your not asking too much at all, Boston has alot of surrounding towns that are really great.

Will you be at Mass General in Cambridge? or in Boston? isnt there another location near waltham? Your transit times are right in Boston's rush hour so commute will be something you should definately regard. There is of course always public transportation.

i think Arlington is a great town and would be a really good location for your family.. They have really great schools and it is extrememly kid friendly. I bring my son there for all kinds of singalongs, playgroups and baby gyms, swimming classes in the summer, free kid concerts. I feel like the town is basically made for kids. I do think it's pretty diverse. I cant say there are A LOT of black families that i know of but i do see them here and there at our activities. I see many Indian, Spanish and Asian families, Russian too. but it is predominately Caucasion. It can get a little pricey but affordable. It would be my first choice to buy a home having young children...

Belmont is also a nice town, I havent been there often enough to tell you too much about it.. but i know it has a very good school system.

I think Newton is a very good town too, really great schools. And I think it is diverse, i lived in Newton for a little while and went there for middle school. I saw plenty of black families but of course it is also predominately caucasian, with a large jewish and russian community as well.

I dont care for Milton at all. The schools really arent good compared to these other towns and I dont think it's very kid friendly at all.. it's kind of a crappy place. Towards Canton it's not SO bad but it also borders Mattapan (i called it murder-pan). Milton really doesnt have the best crowd and I think you should steer clear of it... coming from one mother to another

Cambridge is ok. I like the urban feel of it, but as someone already said, the publics schools arent so good. And there are some really sketchy places in Cambridge, so you have to be careful where you look to buy a home. There are nice places by harvard square but as a whole it's just 'eh' for children. maybe not so bad for young kids though.

Of all places i'd say really really look into Arlington, I love the town. I live in the next town over in Lexington. great schools, good location, beautiful town, but it's not so diverse.. that's why i'm always in Arlington with my son.

Also, Newton is wonderful and you can get a really great deal in today's market. Be sure to look there too

Needham is very nice, kid freindly as well but I dont think it's diverse based on what i've seen.. I honestly havent spent too much time there, but the time i have been, I didnt seen one black person.

hope that helps! good luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston