Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM

42 posts, read 111,048 times

Advertisements

I am coming to Boulder for a job interview the weekend after Thanksgiving. While I am there I want to scout out the town not only for its culture, but also for possible living arrangements and neighborhoods since I will move there if offered the job.

What I am looking for:
1) I am a single professional 40 years old (so I'd rather be away from a heavy density of undergrads)
2) I want to bike commute to work and around town (errands, and just in general for transportation). Office would be off of Pearl St downtown.
3) I am looking for a nice spacious apt or condo. Although I don't mind a condo complex, it would not be my first preference. My first preference would be in an apt in an older more unique home. But I'm willing to consider a condo if it's not too outdated or too huge (not interested in a parking lot of 100s of cars and not able to figure out which condo is mine)
4) close to hiking trails AND some shopping/ restaurants (doesn't have to be a mall).
5) I have a LOT of toys (kayak, 3 bikes, lots of camping gear) and would prefer to have a place with a garage.
6) Looking to spend $1500/month or less in rent.

I am renting a bike during my visit so I can check out the town by the method I will probably transport myself most often.

I'm asking for some recommendations of which multi-use paths I should take while biking and what neighborhoods I should check out while I'm tooling around on two wheels.

I've looked at Craigslist and there seem to be a lot of condo complexes with places available, but it's hard for me to tell whether they are with a HUGE complex and what the garage/ storage space is like. There are also more postings for outside of Boulder than within the town limits. I prefer to be closer to town so I can bike in less than 30 minutes to get to work.

All help and suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Pearl St.

Particularly if working off of Pearl St., you might enjoy the neighborhood at the west end of it. That would be anything beginning from 9th St. west. It seems a lovely neighborhood, both on Pearl itself, and also the adjoining streets. Surprisingly quiet as well, given all the activity of Pearl St. shopping just blocks to the east. Pearl St. itself will see a certain amount of traffic, as a thoroughfare. It is a neighborhood of old, tall trees, small condo complexes, and private homes which in some cases are multi-dwelling.

Boulder, as you may know by now, is not inexpensive. The neighborhood I speak of may be coveted, and all the more expensive in consequence. Some of the larger complexes out east probably less expensive, but then one isn't there, is one? But if so, quite possible to enjoy a pleasant walk to work. Traffic in Boulder is not generally horrendous, but still.

Pearl St. itself is one of the prime attractions of Boulder. Lots of eclectic shops and restaurants, with reliable activity from all the people that come there. Yes, also banks and more formal businesses nearby, although I've always viewed it as a place of pedestrians and life.

As for outdoor activities, not ideal, but still good. A place such as Chautauqua (near 9th and Baseline) would be ideal for hiking. It actually is a trailhead for many fine hikes into the Flat Iron mountains of Boulder open space. But if memory serves, there are also some fine trails to the north of Canyon Blvd., or from your new neighborhood, if so chosen. Moreover the option of many fine walks within town in that area. Aside from parking sometimes, it isn't much of a chore to get to a trailhead from Boulder, particularly if already on the west side of town. Also keep in mind that Canyon Blvd. would be nearby, with ready access directly into the high mountains towards Nederland.

Out in left field, as it were, might be a such a place as the small community of Eldorado Springs, a bit southwest of Boulder. Some of the downsides are obvious, as in a longer commute across town and out, also packing in most every daily item you might want. It is also in a canyon, so less sun. But there is a river there, a beautiful, eclectic spot. Surely not for everyone, with rock climbers more of a sure bet. Consider mention of this contrarian juxtaposition.

Whether working nearby or not, west Pearl could be nice. Certainly worth a bicycle excursion.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Boulder is not very large; just over 100,000 people. There are undergrads all over, but mainly concentrated in the areas closest to campus. If you can walk to the UMC (student union), there will probably be a lot of undergrads. In your budget, you should be able to find something that meets most of your criteria. I like Idunn's suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area