Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:38 PM

74 posts, read 366,881 times

Advertisements

thank you very much, pittnurse and tao, that is much more like the info i am looking for....just something to give me a better idea of where we should focus our searches and things to consider. i certainly won't be making my decision based on postings alone, but it is very helpful to hear, especially since realtors are more or less forbidden from speaking about the specifics of different areas.

marianne, thank you for the suggestions, however my husband and i have done some discussing and although some of the suburbs around boulder are lovely, we don't feel that they are best suited for us. having lived in many different areas and homes over the past few years, we are selective about the location we'd like to be in.....which is boulder itself (even though housing prices are lower elsewhere).

additional comments are certainly welcome....i would love some more food for thought on different areas of boulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 PM

11 posts, read 35,444 times
Default Tofu Town

I live in the South end. I am not within walking distance of downtown but I am only a few blocks from groceries, booze and church. You can get almost anywhere in this city by riding a bicycle on a bike path. If you are forced onto the road you can certainly find a lane designated for a bicycle. I have a small scooter I ride as well and this town is great for buzzing around with plenty of parking at bike racks.

I don't consider the south end as "Hip" as the north end or downtown but there are some advantages. I have to drive down 36 turnpike for work. I can be out of my driveway and out onto 36 in about 2 minutes. I don't hit my first traffic signal until Broomfield. Access to Denver is way fast. If you live on the north side of town and have to drive 36 to work you will double your commute time. If you work in Boulder more power to you. A major RTD bus station is 2 blocks from my house at the corner of foothills parkway and baseline road.

I live close to 36 and foothills so you can hear a mild buzz of cars when you are outside and listen for it. But the hood is quiet as a mouse with minimal traffic.

Here are some links

Boulder Bike Paths and Trails (http://www.getboulder.com/sports/sports_bicycle.html - broken link)

here is an interactive map:
" + theTitle + "

Old 08-04-2007, 05:46 AM

i travel with my job and work from home, so when i am gone, i will just need access to denver airport, which i timed and appears to be about 40 minutes from the airport to boulder, via 470 tollway.

thanks again for all the info!

Old 08-04-2007, 07:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymcf View Post
i travel with my job and work from home, so when i am gone, i will just need access to denver airport, which i timed and appears to be about 40 minutes from the airport to boulder, via 470 tollway.

thanks again for all the info!
If all goes well, and, as jbuhl says, you start from south Boulder. I live in Louisville, and it takes me about that much time via the tollway, longer via 270.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,478,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymcf View Post
I am moving to Boulder next summer with my husband. I was wanting to find out a little more info about the neighborhoods in Boulder (I know it's not a huge place, either!). Most likely, we will be buying a condo immediately, rather then renting for a while. I am very much trying to get into a neighborhood where we will really like and want to stay for a long time. something moderately priced ($250-300K), but I assume we could find that just about everywhere.

We are in our 30's, have 2 dogs, are very active in outdoor activities and no children (no plans to have any, either). I don't mind living near college students, however also do not want to be dealing with parties until 4am every weekend. We would prefer to be within walking distance of things (Pearl Street Mall, if possible, grocery, places to run errands, etc).

We went around with a realtor recently and saw a few places in Boulder, but it is hard to get a better idea of which neighborhoods will suit you best. I am hoping to gather any information about the areas/sides of town and what your opinions are on the demographics, amenities in each area.

Thanks so much!
I would suggest looking at
Northfield Commons (northfieldcommonsboulder.com: about us) - a new development marketed as part of the Boulder Affordable Housing Program

Gunbarrel area - several different condo and townhome complexes in this area. It's out of the city and quiet but near a couple of museums, small business area, and a creek. There is a shopping area with grocery, liquor store, etc. A variety of people live there: retirees, young families, singletons AND it's a good area for dogs. You can get a 25-minute bus ride into Boulder or bike or drive to Longmont from there.

Neither of those are within walking distance to Pearl Street however. They are within biking, busing or driving distance.

There are several condo buildings around 30th Street, especially between Valmont and Diagonal Hwy (aka Iris). These vary in age and size and there's usually quite a high turnover around the start of the college year, but might be worth taking a look at.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 PM

178 posts, read 510,264 times
What are the lot sizes in Northfield Commons?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 AM

303 posts, read 1,561,143 times
I live near Foothills and Baseline, there are a number of condo complexes on both sides of Foothills, mostly just south of Baseline. They range from newer units (a few years old) to older units (maybe the 70s?), prices run from 125k on up. There are relatively few college kids, probably more tilted toward grad students, a lot of young professionals, a few young families, as well as retirees. It is pretty quiet, there is shopping nearby at the Meadows strip mall (it is a big strip mall with a safeway and several dozen stores and restaurants, a small library, etc). There are a few elementary schools, a couple of parks, and you can walk down baseline toward the baseline resevoir and some of the bike trails/etc. The East Boulder Rec center is south of Baseline on 55th, and is pretty nice. There are only a few bus routes and weekend/evening service is limited - two of the routes go to the bus depot on Walnut near Pearl St.

If you want to be near the Pearl St/more bustling area, I wouldn't recommend this neighborhood. If you want something relatively quiet with some local amenities, fast access to Foothills pkwy, and not dominated by families-with-kids, it might be a good fit.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,478,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
What are the lot sizes in Northfield Commons?
You would need to call or email the developers directly to get that information. There is a Contact Us link on the website.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 AM

After our most recent trip in October to Boulder, and looking ALL OVER the place at homes for a couple days, we have defined our preference in location by the following perimeters:

-West Boulder, east to Foothills Pkwy.
-Jay Road to just south of Arapahoe.

Most of the places we saw that we liked fell into this area. There was one place right in the foothills on the southside we were absolutely in love with, as well. We have since received some listings from up in the Gunbarrel area, and although they are very nice and you get more home for your money (or seem to, anyway), it's a bit further than we want to go.

Any thoughts on this area?

Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
West Boulder, east to Foothills Pkwy.
-Jay Road to just south of Arapahoe.

That covers a great part of the city, at least the northern 2/3 of it. (There is not much of Boulder left east of Foothills that is residential). You can find most anything there. Good luck!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-12-2007 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area