Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,771 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently visited Boulder and fell in love with it. We would like to go and live there for a month or two next summer. Any ideas or suggestions on how to go about looking for a furnished town home or apartment? Will it be easy to find a place to live for a couple of months? We have two young children (4 & 2). Also typically what are the rents like? I know real estate is at a premium in Boulder

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
Vacation rentals will be expensive. I'd think that sublets would be available during the summer when some students leave. I am not a fan of Craigslist but many people suggest looking there. You could check the classifieds in the Boulder paper (Daily Camera) for short term rentals.
Real Estate Rental & Sale - Front Range Classifieds Classifieds

Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 AM

24 posts, read 41,516 times
Default House sitting gig

There are a lot of people who house sit. But Boulder people hate children, so it might be a tough sell.
I would check Craigslist ads and maybe the Daily Camera for come and go rentals. Everyone seems to want to live here. I personally wish I could get out now. It has been over ten years and this place is BORING!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonInBoulder View Post
...Boulder people hate children, so it might be a tough sell.
I totally know what you mean, although of course you're making a wild exaggeration which only applies to some of the Boulderites. Care to expound on that statement a little bit? Could be interesting info for the forum.

Quote:
this place is BORING!!!!!!!
Well, I can't conceive how anyone could be bored in Boulder. Of course, if you are someone who enjoys generally urban amenities like arts, culture, etc., Colorado (including Boulder) is SOMEWHAT of an empty wasteland for such things. Unless of course you enjoy listening to pseudo-hippies singing really bad folky music with acoustic guitars and out-of-tune mandolins, LOL!

Also, if you take the "college nightlife" out of Boulder, unfortunately you're left with pretty much no nightlife at all.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
But Boulder people hate children, so it might be a tough sell.
I personally wish I could get out now. It has been over ten years and this place is BORING!!!!!!!
Ridiculous. People in Boulder don't hate children, and Boulder is far from boring.

A really wonderful place to spend the summer would be Chautauqua. I think it may be expensive though. Contact the Colorado Chautauqua Association at 303.442.3282, ext. 11, or email lodging@chautauqua.com
The Colorado Chautauqua Association - Boulder Colorado Chautauqua Two Bedroom Cottages, historical lodging Colorado, historical lodging Boulder (http://www.chautauqua.com/two_bedroom.htm - broken link)

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM

73 posts, read 190,655 times
Some folks are renting in Boulder and nearby foothills on vrbo.com , we have found great ski and vacation rentals there and many folks will bargain for a good longer term rental....

Old 07-20-2011, 03:15 PM

724 posts, read 1,933,351 times
Quote:
I personally wish I could get out now. It has been over ten years and this place is BORING!!!!!!!
Having been trapped in LA for the last 20 years, I'll trade you in a heartbeat. You get exciting weather, real seasons, access to just as much stuff to do without most, if not all, of the constant traffic. You get to enjoy your neighbors, and everyone isn't so busy wrapped in their routines to really say hello. AND you get to live much closer to nature without even trying....

one man's treasure, I guess....

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
MasonInBoulder wrote:
It has been over ten years and this place is BORING!!!!!!!
You are living an illusion. Places aren't boring. 'Boredom' is an inside job.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
You are living an illusion. Places aren't boring. 'Boredom' is an inside job.

Excellent! Mind if I use that?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRow View Post
My wife and I recently visited Boulder and fell in love with it. We would like to go and live there for a month or two next summer. Any ideas or suggestions on how to go about looking for a furnished town home or apartment? Will it be easy to find a place to live for a couple of months? We have two young children (4 & 2). Also typically what are the rents like? I know real estate is at a premium in Boulder

Thank you
We were in a similar situation- have 2 kids, 8 & 11. Rented a house last year for the summer in a key location. Rent was $8,000/month for a cute furnished home (old, no dishwasher, no A/C)- I wanted a downtown area and all the rents were at least $250/night for furnished home. This summer, we negotiated with the Millenium to stay for one month w/ breakfasts included, pool, AC, cleaning service, fridge & microwave for a fraction of the price. At first we wanted to be in a neighborhood, but I found that most children weren't around anyway to play- on vacation, at camp, etc. We have now decided to move here from NJ. Renting an unfurnished home for a year in a central location would run between $3,000-$4,000 for something decent (3br). For $5,000 per month, you could get something very nice. We decided to buy- but prices were a shocker- $800,000 doesn't get you much & definitely not updated! Lots of '70s homes. Good luck- spending the summers were a great way to get a good feel for the areas (although it's quieter- less students and people are on vacation) & talk to people about neighborhoods and schools- the right place all depends on the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area