Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 PM

294 posts, read 1,335,010 times

Advertisements

My gf and I are going to be staying in Boulder for 2 days on our way to Las Vegas where we are relocating. We were originally going to stop in just Denver but many have sold me on Boulder including my brother whom tours in Boulder at the Fox. He tells me forget Vegas, and that I will not want to leave Boulder once I am there. I am open to new ideas, and have yearned for a new location, but is Boulder that great? I looked on CNN-Money and it seems to be very expensive there considering housing costs. But how is the economy? Could I find a job in sales there possibly in home improvement, construction supply, or powersports? I do not want to be in Vegas forever but I would like to find somewhere where we could settle down one day and raise a family not in the Northeast. Have you any recommendations on hotels? We are looking for around minimal to $100 a night and I’ve seen some great deals on expedia. We are leaving this Saturday and should be near Denver by Monday? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,622,662 times
Las Vegas might not be all that affordable these days....

Least Affordable U.S. Real Estate Markets - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/least_affordable_us_real_estate_markets.html - broken link)

Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,479,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
My gf and I are going to be staying in Boulder for 2 days on our way to Las Vegas where we are relocating. We were originally going to stop in just Denver but many have sold me on Boulder including my brother whom tours in Boulder at the Fox. He tells me forget Vegas, and that I will not want to leave Boulder once I am there. I am open to new ideas, and have yearned for a new location, but is Boulder that great? I looked on CNN-Money and it seems to be very expensive there considering housing costs. But how is the economy? Could I find a job in sales there possibly in home improvement, construction supply, or powersports? I do not want to be in Vegas forever but I would like to find somewhere where we could settle down one day and raise a family not in the Northeast. Have you any recommendations on hotels? We are looking for around minimal to $100 a night and I’ve seen some great deals on expedia. We are leaving this Saturday and should be near Denver by Monday? Thanks in advance!
With the limits on new construction finding a job in that area might be difficult but Boulder is a very fitness-fanatic type city so anything sports-related could be a better area for you. Yes, Boulder is horrendously expensive for housing, whether buying or renting, but there are several towns surrounding it in easy commute distance that are more reasonable such as Longmont or Louisville. There are a couple of hotels along the Turnpike that are affordable plus a Best Western on 28th Street and a Marriott on Canyon. I don't know if you can catch a bus into downtown from the Turnpike but you certainly can from 28th or Canyon.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:22 AM

151 posts, read 714,770 times
Check out the "absolutely best/worst places in Colorado" thread and note how many times Boulder comes up on BOTH sides of the fence. It's a unique place and people tend to either love it or hate it.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 AM

226 posts, read 1,220,328 times
vegas is in the middle of a hot desert. i could never live there. boulder is nice.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:33 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,411,820 times
Yes, Boulder is that Great! It is certainly a unique and exciting city to visit and for many people a great place to live. It is very concentrated but is surrounded by large open spaces. The University provides all the characters and characteristics that a large university brings to an area.

I would suggest that you look at all of Boulder County which is stunning from the beautiful towns on the plains to the east, Louisville, Lafayette, Longmont to the awesome beauty of Nederland, to the West and the many Canyons from Boulder Canyon, to Left Hand. Especially do not miss Eldorado Springs which is very close to the South off Hwy. 93. And if you dare, drive west on Baseline, past Chautauqua Park, and go up flagstaff mountain for a view that well, cannot be described.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Thankyou for all of you information, it helps alot!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Las Vegas might not be all that affordable these days....

Least Affordable U.S. Real Estate Markets - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/least_affordable_us_real_estate_markets.html - broken link)

Wasn't much about Vegas but I can tell you that 5 years ago may have been affordable until the balloon when people were paying premiums for homes and competing for them. Now the prices have come down a considerable amount but getting lending is shot. I have seen homes in very nice areas drop down 30% since the bubble so I think if you can get financed there, your golden. Plus the no state or corporate tax, you cant beat it. Take a 400k house in 2004, not if you go on Craigslist right now, you’ll see the same 3br 2 bath 2 car garage 2200sq/ft for $275. That’s cheap!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, Boulder is that Great! It is certainly a unique and exciting city to visit and for many people a great place to live. It is very concentrated but is surrounded by large open spaces. The University provides all the characters and characteristics that a large university brings to an area.

I would suggest that you look at all of Boulder County which is stunning from the beautiful towns on the plains to the east, Louisville, Lafayette, Longmont to the awesome beauty of Nederland, to the West and the many Canyons from Boulder Canyon, to Left Hand. Especially do not miss Eldorado Springs which is very close to the South off Hwy. 93. And if you dare, drive west on Baseline, past Chautauqua Park, and go up flagstaff mountain for a view that well, cannot be described.
Louisville got its start as a coal mining town. There is a statue of a coal miner in front of city hall. There is still coal burning underground on the Marshall Mesa. There is a trailhead on Marshall Road where you can park and walk around. It is not strenuous; I once went with a group of 2nd and 3rd graders on a Colorado history field trip.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 15,448 times
i am from and currently live in biloxi ms. i have been looking for "the perfect" place to move for a couple of months now. i have done extensive online research for a couple of months now and i have compared from wyoning to salt lake to phoenix alberquerque austin and lots of places in between. it did not take long to find that boulder may be as close to perfect as you can get, which is quite probably the reason that it is soooo expensive. it just depends on what you want out of life though. wanna party all night and sleep all day? nothing wrong with that, las vegas is just the place for you. but if you want to have children, be the least bit spiritually fulfilled and/or physically healthy, then you may want to reconsider. i am very attracted to boulder for a number of reasons- walkability, good schools, sunshine, low humidity, few bugs, open spaces, LOTS of outdoor activities, and spirituality without fundamentalists. the people seem to be friendly, extremely helpful and unguarded, health and environment conscious, and liberal. if those are things that appeal to you AND your brother lives there, you might want to give it more than 2 days!! we are going to visit at the end of april for 7 days to see for ourselves if it is all that we think it is. have a happy life wherever yall end up though cause in the end it will all be up to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area