Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 09:07 AM

287 posts, read 769,398 times

Advertisements

What is the drive like from Firestone, Frederick and some of those smaller towns?

What is the commute to Boulder like on snowy days? I would guess that the 4-6 lane freeways are highest priority for the snowplows but what about the highways or two lane roads? It looks like the commute would involve more smaller roads than freeways.

Is there any public transit from the outlying communities into Boulder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Q. # 1: Try mapquest

#2/3: You are correct. There are no freeways into Boulder from that area. Highway clearance is a subject of much frustration around here. However, the number of snowy days that that would be a problem is small; sometimes none in a given winter.

#4: I don't know about public transit from Firestone. You could try the RTD website. (Google it)

Old 08-18-2007, 12:48 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,415,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
What is the drive like from Firestone, Frederick and some of those smaller towns?

What is the commute to Boulder like on snowy days? I would guess that the 4-6 lane freeways are highest priority for the snowplows but what about the highways or two lane roads? It looks like the commute would involve more smaller roads than freeways.

Is there any public transit from the outlying communities into Boulder?
The Commute into Boulder, from Firestone, on a snowy day would be terrible on a very snowy day. I-25 north may be closed because of blowing snow and Boulder Turnpike would be a mess or closed. The new 470 does not go into Boulder and end at 36. Their are no other major highways that will take you into Boulder.

The smaller routes, on a snowy day, would be windswept and dangerous but are alternates such as 287, and 119 that goes from Boulder, called the diagonal Hwy. to Longmont which goes into Firestone. On less snowy day, these routes would be slow, icy and the side routes would be the same.

In the past, I lived in Niwot on the Diagonal Hwy. and I had a sales job that took me from, Ft. Collins to Boulder, to Greeley and the areas along I-25, and it was many times "white knuckle driving".

Your Best bet for RTD options into Boulder from Firestone would be to drive into Longmont, west on Ken Pratt Blvd. (Hwy. 119) and take an express Bus from Longmont. Boulder has great access on public transportation from the major cities in Boulder County and Broomfield County; transportation to Denver is excellent on public transportation.

The Regional Transportation District does not extend north into Weld County, or anywhere north of Longmont in Boulder County or Brighton in Adams County. Public transportation in the new smaller communities are many, many years away as the talks about the formation of transportation districts, beyond the major cities like Greeley, Loveland and Ft. Collins, in the northern counties are just beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area