Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 37,297 times

Advertisements

Newbie to the board, and so forgive me if what I'm requesting has been discussed.
I'm married with kids and we moved to Greenville, SC from TX to get away from the heat and always having to get in the car to get anywhere. We heard about Greenville, SC as being "The Best Kept Secret," and quit frankly it's no secret. Their downtown upgrade is nice, but "way" "way" overcrowded. It seems the entire mid-west moved here. Not to exclude other places, but being from the South we are a bit more animated and/or emotional creatures than what I have found mid-westerners to be, i.e. OH, MI, IN, WI, NE, MN. I don't mean to offend, but mid-westerners are a strange bunch. Most all were miserable where they were at and moved to get away, but unfortunately they are still miserable after relocation. They're not happy or mad, just seem to be indifferent about everything. To sum it up I don't find them to have any character at all - just dry. They mostly keep to themselves and choose not interact with anyone. And what it is up with Ohio?! Is there anyone left in that state?!...Geeeezzzz!! I apologize, I can already see some mid-westerner ready to tell me a thing or two - maybe three, but in a very monotone kind of way.
For such a small town, traffic in Greenville is "extremely" aggressive (and I've lived, in LA, Houston, and DFW). It's this hateful, mean, driving behavior that is just completely uncalled for. And watch out while you're crossing the street in downtown because you'll have some maniac wanting to make the yellow at full speed.
They tout they are bike friendly, and yes I ride my bike every day to the office, and drivers are oblivious to the so-called "bike friendly" rule. And I will not get in to the people driving and texting.
And, WOW, talk about smoking, everyone and their mother smokes in Greenville, SC. The restaurants are smoke free, and so the sidewalks are littered with people smoking. It’s ridiculous. It’s like they didn’t get the memo that smoking is bad for your health.
The town is what is called the "mega growth' corridor and so crime is on the upswing and increasing. Cars and homes are being broken in to on a frequent basis.
Now that I have vented about where I am - is Boulder as bad? Would anyone say it has more pluses than Greenville, SC.
Thank you ---!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:54 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,389 times
Well, having grown up in the midwest I can sympathize on some levels. But judging from a few things you've said I'd say you'd fit right into the Boulder area. Like anywhere, it's not perfect, and has it's share of traffic and warts. Others here can expound upon those.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Better NOT come to Boulder - we are already here with our dry indifference .
Seriously, you better be somewhat tolerant, no matter where you live. Almost everybody in Boulder is from somewhere, tons of people from Midwest, East Coast, California. Haven't met any southerns yet.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Seems like you'd get more mileage out of an attitude adjustment than you will from another relocation. First the attitude adjustment, THEN the move. Remember this...wherever you go there you are! You can never get away from yourself.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:49 PM

212 posts, read 423,328 times
Boulder, Please take him.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Better NOT come to Boulder - we are already here with our dry indifference .
Seriously, you better be somewhat tolerant, no matter where you live. Almost everybody in Boulder is from somewhere, tons of people from Midwest, East Coast, California. Haven't met any southerns yet.
Okay, and so now I'm confused, I heard Boulder was open minded, outdoor culture, rated the healthiest city in the US, excellent for bikes, great downtown, and yet no one comments on that? Well, I get one comment from NoOneSpecial and he was pathetic enough to come over from the Greenville board - way to much time on his hands. I apologize to the mid-westerners, I shouldn't generalize, it's just that where I'm at it has gotten flooded with mid-westerners. It's just getting to crowded and perhaps the main reason for my frustration.

Last edited by whitecup; 01-12-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM

If I read it right, you're in Texas at the moment. Boulder always compares to Austin, IMHO. Not the same, but certainly in the same ballpark.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:42 PM

I was in TX, then move to Greenville, SC for a smaller scale town and not so hot summer, but the place is getting way to overpopulated. We ignored our first instinct and that waste move to CO. A buddy of mine from CO told me that there are many similarities. He favors Boulder over Austin for the outdoor options and cooler climate.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecup View Post
I was in TX, then move to Greenville, SC for a smaller scale town and not so hot summer, but the place is getting way to overpopulated. We ignored our first instinct and that waste move to CO. A buddy of mine from CO told me that there are many similarities. He favors Boulder over Austin for the outdoor options and cooler climate.

I'd agree with his assessment. We lived in Austin for a year and loved it, but I still think Boulder has more attraction for us.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM

643 posts, read 2,386,005 times
whitecup,

Sounds like you should move back to Texas. Seriously.

What you consider to be negative about Greenville should have been pretty obvious on your first visit. Smoking? Traffic? Midwestern people? Did you visit Greenville and talk to locals before your move?

Colorado is where the Great Plains meet the Rocky Mountains. There will be a lot of people from the Midwest here. Generally smoking does occur outside restaurants and shops, but to be within the law it needs to be 12 feet from a door. Weather will be very different - much lower humidity, less rain, but with more wind, snow, and hail. Traffic can be bad and especially with winter weather.

Last edited by md21722; 01-12-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: