Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,373 times

Advertisements

Being new to this blog, let me apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered extensively, as I suspect; but I really am curious about why the propsed light rail from Denver to Boulder was cancelled. I understand that the cost is currently twice (roughly) that of the original estimate, but that makes no sense. How long ago was the original bid accepted? Steel prices have not gone up for the past 2 years, and labor has remained stagnant...as we all know too well. It's very disappointing to me because I think that line -and the one to DIA - is a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4warned View Post
Being new to this blog, let me apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered extensively, as I suspect; but I really am curious about why the propsed light rail from Denver to Boulder was cancelled. I understand that the cost is currently twice (roughly) that of the original estimate, but that makes no sense. How long ago was the original bid accepted? Steel prices have not gone up for the past 2 years, and labor has remained stagnant...as we all know too well. It's very disappointing to me because I think that line -and the one to DIA - is a no-brainer.

I didn't think it was canceled. According to the document below it's one of the options that RTD Board is considering, but nothing is decided yet. The base option is to still build the Northwest Light Rail (I'm not sure if you are referring to that one as "Denver to Boulder light rail"), but to move the completion date to 2024. There are two more options that Board will have to make decision in the beginning of March. Read through and you will find out.

http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/media/u...7_12_FINAL.pdf

Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 AM

63 posts, read 78,957 times
The Denver-Boulder-Longmont route was never going to be "light rail", but was commuter rail on existing tracks. The Denver-Boulder corridor was the only corridor planned with two modes, rail and "rapid bus". It never made an sense to serve this corridor with two lines, it was only proposed to get the Boulder votes on Fastracks. Look on a map, the rail line is not direct, has many at grade crossings and will take longer, at a higher price than the rapid bus option. They should drop the rail component and do the bus line correctly and ASAP.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4warned View Post
There's no bid for construction of the line, all of the costs that you've seen are based on estimates and this is really a case of BNSF taking RTD for all that they can in order for RTD to use the BNSF line.

However, the Northwest Corridor (it would be diesel commuter rail, not light rail) is certainly not a "no-brainer". It's actually the worst line in terms of ridership and also for cost per rider. This is a line that could be discarded and replaced with a more extensive BRT line going to Boulder and Longmont that would result in better service, but it's really the political ramifications that propel this line.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM

399 posts, read 817,175 times
It'd be nice if the US-36 lanes were widen or given an extra lane both ways. The FasTracks project would or can still free up the already large amount of congestion during rush hour. I'm just so happy I haven't had to take 36 during rush hour these past few years.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
The Bus Rapid Transit project, at least to Interlocken and eventually beyond, is already proceeding ahead. Bus Rapid Transit is essentially setting up a shared HOV/bus lane on 36, as well as providing pullout stations for the bus to drop off / add passengers without having to get off the highway. Once this is done, the Denver / Boulder B/BX buses will be much faster and attractive to the commuter.

It's hard to see how rail will ever be able to compete with the BRT system even if it is finished, at least for Boulder - Denver passengers. The bus will be much faster, much more direct, and will stop at Table Mesa, CU and Downtown Boulder, three very useful locations. The commuter rail will have stops only at 33rd / Pearl in East Boulder, plus Louisville and Gunbarrel. Except for people who live near that location, I don't see why anyone would take commuter rail over the bus, particularly for those heading INTO Boulder in the morning.

The Eagle P3 project now underway will create a short northwest commuter line up to Lowell in southeast Westminster. This happens "for free" as that section is needed to provide access to the maintenance areas for the Gold Line and DIA lines. It's highly likely that it will be extended further than this as part of Fastracks, but I think it will take a long time for it to get extended all the way to Boulder, to say nothing of Longmont.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 PM

63 posts, read 78,957 times
tfox,

Thanks for the additional info and I agree. If RTD made a decision to only do one mode they could do Bus Rapid Transit first class, rather than two modes half-assed. BRT needs its own lane from Boulder to Louisville and that is not in current plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area