Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 06:41 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just wanted to get some opinions from locals...

I am a college grad thinking of moving to Boulder. I'm not planning on grad school and I don't really want to spend all my social time with college kids.

Does Boulder have an active crowd of college grads or young professionals? Bars for those in their mid-late twenties? Or does it seem like nothing more than a college town? I mean, does it have lots of lively bars and clubs that aren't dominated by college kids? Any social and political interest clubs or organizations outside the university?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
No, it's much more than that. There are lots of young and older professionals living and working in the Boulder area. There is an part of town very much oriented towards the uni but there are plenty of other places to hang out. You've got the downtown area near Pearl St, the business parks such as Gunbarrel . . .

Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
There's a reason why Boulder continually makes the Top Places to Live in the Country lists (and Healthiest and Most Educated) and while CU contributes to the vibe of the town, it isn't solely responsible for making Boulder as unique as it is, not even close -- and I'm an alumna. There are many well known companies with offices and headquarters in the area, singles, families, entrepreneurs and athletes, among others, that make up the Boulder population.

It was also rated as the Foodiest Town in America America's Foodiest Town 2010: Boulder, Colorado: In the Magazine: bonappetit.com
; college students can't afford that type of food.

You should visit.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:23 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times
If you are just out of school, you'll find lots of similar types and probably enjoy yourself, but the majority is still college kids and middle-aged, rich ex-hippies. It can get small fast.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Boulder is a really nice place. They don't come much nicer. Great college town and college atmosphere yet close enough to Denver that grads can stay in Boulder and commute.

Boulder is also big enough and desirable enough that it has it's own economic base besides the college.

Obviously the college is not swallowed up by the community at large but Boulder is a pretty high heeled place and the college students have to step up to the communities standards instead of the other way around.

Boulder is pretty liberal and has a lot of drugstore hippies but in reality it is a very trendy upscale college town/suburb.

The campus is really nice and the school is excellent. Be prepared for some sticker shock however. Cost of Living is pretty steep in Boulder but if you can afford it it would be worth the experience. Great place.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM

724 posts, read 1,933,525 times
I agree with Eddie - from the short time we've been here, Boulder is awesome for far more than just it's youth influence.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,574 times
We relocated a year ago with two school-age kids, and find it a great place for families. I can't, of course, speak for young singles, although I work with some young guys who targeted Boulder, relocated here and now enjoying themselves. It is a pretty versatile place.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,237 times
I'm 30 and have been here 4 months now and I don't really have to go out of my way to avoid the college crowd at all, i really only feel surrounded by them when im on "the hill"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area