Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM

377 posts, read 1,054,541 times

Advertisements

We have only used the kind that you use while connected with an extension cord. Takes a little bit of getting used to, but then it is no big deal. There are also the kind that charge in advance, but I think they are more expensive (and I'm not sure about battery life). Electrics are much quieter than a gas mower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
I have a reel mower and it is awesome for our small lawn, also I love the small footprint of it..I can hang it on the wall in the garage or tuck behind a door. No noise means I can mow anytime...

Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
We have only used the kind that you use while connected with an extension cord. Takes a little bit of getting used to, but then it is no big deal. There are also the kind that charge in advance, but I think they are more expensive (and I'm not sure about battery life). Electrics are much quieter than a gas mower.
I have a Neuton battery-powered mower. Works okay. It lacks power for thick growth, i.e., if you keep a lawn shortly trimmed it works okay, but if you let a lawn grow a few inches above the 3-inch base cut, then it's very slow going and it clogs the discharge chute due to lack of power.

In the Spring, when lawns start off fairly thick, I have to cut every 4-5 days. I have 2500 sq ft of lawn to cut and I've a spare battery as one usually peters out about 2/3 of the way through the job. It has regular and mulching blades and a bag for clippings if desired, but I use the mulching blade and let the clippings stay on the lawn to help fertilize the lawn.

The Neuton does make some noise, maybe a third to a half of a gasoline mower. At least I have no gasoline cans to muck with, or other maintenance, save for sharpening the blade, with I do with a Dremel tool and the blade attachment.

For really small, flat lawns, I'd recommend the reel mower.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
They have both battery and corded electric.

I was surprised to find gasoline mowers to be quite rare when I was working in Germany...

Corded Electric had most of the market... quiet, less maintenance and no battery to dispose of and replace...

My Grandfather would mow the lawn in front of the farm house with a scythe... guess that would be the ultimate in simplicity... also needed a high level of skill.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Grandfather would mow the lawn in front of the farm house with a scythe...
And here I thought using my reel mower on our athree medium-large lawns was the ultimate combination of macho and sustainable. Just when you think you are IT, there's somebody out there with a freakin' scythe to put you to shame.

At the risk of being outed as a city-data **** - having posted in the Colorado, Denver, and Colorado Springs forums today - I do have a contribution here. If you're healthy enough, go with the reel mower. I found some fancy German model at a garage sale when we moved into our corner lot with three lawns and I've been using that bad boy ever since. Never tried an electric mower, though the electric chain-saw and electric edger been very handy. The idea of messing with oil/gas combo, mess, clutch, noise, choke, exhaust, and pull-cord on these dangnabbit contraptions is plain disturbing. But then I'm the type who if I had a boat, it would not have a motor.

The only time the reel mower is difficult is when I let the grass grow longer than a week. At that point, it becomes a grueling man vs. nature battle of guts, brute force, and determination, which I like to think I have in spades. I'm intrugued, however, by the scythe. A lost art. Like wielding a Samurai sword.

With a small, flat lawn, you should be fine with a reel mower until you become physically frail.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post

With a small, flat lawn, you should be fine with a reel mower until you become physically frail.
Grandmother on the other side of the family tree was still using her real mower she bought right after WWII up into her eighties...

You are absolutely correct about waiting too long in between cuttings... she would mow twice a week when the lawn was really growing... she said it made it easy

I got Mom a Honda commercial mower for Mother's day 10 years ago when she was 70... she too really enjoyed yard work... a shoulder injury and two knee surgeries curtailed what she was able to do...

The Honda has been great... it is super easy to start and doesn't have to be restarted every time you stop to empty the catcher... besides... I made a lot of points with her neighbors... at least the older guys... some of their wives said any decent child would have gotten her a gardener!

It was $850 on year end closeout... so far that works out to $85 a year plus about 2.5 gallons a season... I buy the gas for her too...

Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,967 times
(I can't believe there's a thread on this)

(I can't believe I'm participating in this thread)

That said, I vote that you try a reel mower. My family had one when I was younger and I used it.

It worked fine in most places where I could push the mower and therefore rotate the blades, but in some corners or other confined areas which were too small for me to push the mower or push it fast enough, I would have to use something else such as long-handled shears to trim the lawn.

I suggest you take a look at your lawn and see if there are any confined areas where you can't maintain enough pushing momentum to keep the blades rotating and if there are, if you're willing to use some long-handled shears on those areas.

(I can't believe I over-thought this issue)

Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM

245 posts, read 708,709 times
@ sjnative

Well, yesterday I had a chance to try out an electric lawn mower - borrowed it from a friend. It is certainly less noisy than a gas powered mower. I liked the height adjustment lever that was spring loaded so raising the height was simply pulling it up and lowering it was pulling the lever and pushing down on the mower body. I also liked how the blades *instantly* stop when you let go of the on-off lever on the handle. The downside ? The long electric wire that I kept tripping up on

That being said, our backyard "lawn" is a mess - less of a lawn and more clumps of grass growing randomly at their own will and plenty of dead grass patches (Previous owners had 2 big dogs, enough said!). Luckily it's a small lot so I can whip it back into shape this season.

The front lawn is much better and is flat so a reel mower can do the job. I think I am going to ask around if I can borrow a reel mower as well. Nothing like hands-on experience to make your decision !

Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I have had an electric power mower for 26 years. I do not like to store gasoline. In those years, I have gone through two. I have a very small yard and now I even have a smaller grass area, as I have xeriscaped most of my yard. I bought the Black and Decker mulching model which needs a power cord. I think a corded one is better, for a small yard, than a cordless, as it will last longer. It never clogs and has worked through the highest weeds. It is quieter than a gas mower.

I have had the current one for about 15 years. The closest new model is:
Black & Decker Tools | 18" Corded Mulching/Bagging Mower MM1800. Of course is more expensive than years ago.

I grew up using a reel mower. I think they are a great idea for a small yard.

Vincent

Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM

245 posts, read 708,709 times
Great - I think I am going to go for a electric lawn mower. The lawn is small and has some trees to go around as well. I suspect that I won't get the reel mower to good working speed. Additionally, the ground is not level and has up&down variations that would cause too much trouble with a reel mower. Maybe after the lawn gets back in good condition, I might go for one - but at this time it is going to be an electric mower.

If anyone is selling their electric mower, send me a DM - I am in the Louisville/Superior area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area